early speedometer angle drive

docc

The early (1999-2002) white face Veglia speedometer angle drives have long been known to be problematic (at best!) So much so, that Moto Guzzi superseded them in 2003 with the "bent tube" cable ends and the black face ITI gauges. Unfortunately, they, too, proved less than reliable. Trouble is, there is very limited space to direct a cable up from the right side top of the gearbox while clearing the throttle linkage.

I was hoping to coax my third Veglia speedometer to the 100,000 mile mark, but *alas* . . . :mellow:

While it recently developed the common sporadic jumping and wagging, I found some improvement pressing the lower angle drive back together. Briefly.

So, after removing the drive and attempting to press it well together . . .  the speedo quit entirely. :bbblll:

With a stash of these parts on hand I cast about to recombine three of these things into one that would get me through the impending Twelfth South'n Spine Raid.

No joy. That one gear was, apparently, designed by Achilles' own podiatrist. :(

And then, lo & behold: a complete NOS angle drive in the bag shoved tightly into an empty speedometer shell! :sun:

gallery_328_223_1267639.jpg

• Like 2

Now, I've pressed one of the brass inserts into the NOS angle drive and epoxied the metal *ejection* disc to prevent the well known "gear spit" failure.

I know that the final solution is spelled S p e e d H u t,  but just want to get past the 100k mark on these clocks!

...but just want to get past the 100k mark on these clocks!

The secret stash was secret even to you? Oh, the joy of discovery and self-congratulations. e.g. "My past self was so smart to stash away these parts for my present self to find... I simply must uncork a beverage."

But, if they did quit, it would be sort of cooler to have the odometer at 99,xxx, rather than 00000.  Anybody can get to zero, but a high number on a dead odometer becomes permanent garage art. If there was one more digit (as on most BMWs), this would be a non-issue - cuz you'd get to see 100,000.

• Haha 1

Only way I'm gonna see "100,000" is to have SpeedHut make it so.

Current (third) Veglia shows "27,774." Adding the other two plus interim GPS mileage = *nearly* 100,000 . . .

Let's face it, there are some serious vagueries here . . . :whistle:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=276&products_id=141

Recently purchased a new angle drive from MGCycle after mine spit the plug out one day. Could actually fix that one if I could find another plug.

Usually when he plug spits out, it takes the secondary gear/shaft (shown in post #2) with it. :bbblll:

That's what makes it so worth epoxying that disc into the body of the drive. If it ever needs to come apart, the epoxy is easily Dremelled away.

If your secondary (pinion?) gear and shaft are still intact, you can fashion a thin disc from any sheet material, then epoxy in place.

The disc/plug is ~0.590"/15mm diameter by ~0.041"/1mm thick.