V11 Mass centralisation

Cabernet

So I have been looking at a handlebar conversion, moving away from my much loved under top yoke clip-ons (Getting to old. All too often I wheel my B750 out the garage for a Sunday spin. V11 seems to only come out on track days). This clearly mean my body mass will migrate rearward. Something that concerns me a little, as I have always found my 2002 Sport works best when I move forward up against the tank and get my chin down. I will be going down the Renthal route for the conversion. 

Now to get handlebar mounts on, the first task is to drill the top yoke. I spent yesterday manipulating the bikini fairing and clocks out the way and removing the tank (thankfully not swollen yet) to disconnect the ignition. Clearly an opportunity to change the filter.

Now it has occurred to that the space under the tank could house the battery, thus moving its’ mass forward. Of course replacement K&N style throttle body mounted air filters would need to be employed.

It would shift the battery mass up a little. This would improve mass transfer to the front wheel on braking. This won’t hurt as the V11 front locks before the rear lifts. However slower direction change might result, but can’t see that being more effectual then a full tank.

Any one played or have any thoughts?

The bars really make the ride more comfortable. No more back pain plus arm and shoulder fatigue is reduced. It does raise the mass but does not displace much toward the rear or at least none that I can tell.

Little harder to shift your weight side to side with my arms in a more relaxed position but it removes a lot of the shock from sudden bumps in the road. In this configuration I don't hesitate to ride a 400+ mile day.

I would ride it for at least a thousand miles before doing any reconfiguration.

Not sure what style handlebars your looking it, clubman, Renthal, etc., but might I suggest the Norman Hyde "M" bars. I installed them on one of my bikes and recently did a 325 mile day and did not feel any discomfort at all. They are very flat and have more natural angle for your wrists as you reach forward.

I was undecided which bars to use and considered the Tarrozzi simply because of the adjustability and various styles available. The M-bars worked out better for me but the Tarrozzi's might also be an option for your bike and it wont be necessary to drill the top clamp.

As for moving the battery for weight transfer. I have always been told you want the weight as close to center and low as possible. Have you considered moving the battery to bracket that houses your emissions canister located below and to the rear of the engine? The canister is about the same size as the battery and I know of at least one bracket that isn't being used. Sounds easier to modify an unused bracket and re-route or replace a couple battery cables than rearrange everything under the fuel tank.

Hope this helps-

Jerry

Not sure what style handlebars your looking it, clubman, Renthal, etc., but might I suggest the Norman Hyde "M" bars. I installed them on one of my bikes and recently did a 325 mile day and did not feel any discomfort at all. They are very flat and have more natural angle for your wrists as you reach forward.

I was undecided which bars to use and considered the Tarrozzi simply because of the adjustability and various styles available. The M-bars worked out better for me but the Tarrozzi's might also be an option for your bike and it wont be necessary to drill the top clamp.

As for moving the battery for weight transfer. I have always been told you want the weight as close to center and low as possible. Have you considered moving the battery to bracket that houses your emissions canister located below and to the rear of the engine? The canister is about the same size as the battery and I know of at least one bracket that isn't being used. Sounds easier to modify an unused bracket and re-route or replace a couple battery cables than rearrange everything under the fuel tank.

Hope this helps-

Jerry

As edited above, I will be going down the Renthal route, but thanks for the input. I will look at the emissions canister.

Keep in mind that while switching to bars from clip-ons will move your weight a little to the rear it also changes your leverage with the wider bars giving you more leverage for steering.

We used OEM Billy-Bob bars when we converted the wifes V11, The Billy-Bob bars have a nice bend, a silver finish, and where pretty much an easy swap. Not the cheapest, but probably the easiest.

So I have been looking at a handlebar conversion, moving away from my much loved under top yoke clip-ons (Getting to old. All too often I wheel my B750 out the garage for a Sunday spin. V11 seems to only come out on track days). This clearly mean my body mass will migrate rearward. Something that concerns me a little, as I have always found my 2002 Sport works best when I move forward up against the tank and get my chin down. I will be going down the Renthal route for the conversion. 

Now to get handlebar mounts on, the first task is to drill the top yoke. I spent yesterday manipulating the bikini fairing and clocks out the way and removing the tank (thankfully not swollen yet) to disconnect the ignition. Clearly an opportunity to change the filter.

Now it has occurred to that the space under the tank could house the battery, thus moving its’ mass forward. Of course replacement K&N style throttle body mounted air filters would need to be employed.

It would shift the battery mass up a little. This would improve mass transfer to the front wheel on braking. This won’t hurt as the V11 front locks before the rear lifts. However slower direction change might result, but can’t see that being more effectual then a full tank.

Any one played or have any thoughts?

Moving the battery under the tank is a bad idea, it moves the C of G higher and puts the battery in a hot inaccessible location. Forget it. As for the locks the front before the rear lifts, well thats not my experience.

As for a dynamic improvement, go out and pull the rear wheel off your V11 and put it on the scales, its disgracefully heavy. I was shocked the first time I did it, shocked at how you could engineer something to be that weighty. The back wheel and tire on my Ducati 1000ss even with a wider tire floats away in the wind by comparison.I did measure them and its something like a 7kg difference or something ridiculous.

So the wheels would be the first place to start if you really are serious about a dynamic improvement.

Ciao

I've got a balliblio handle bar going spare cabs, give us a shout if interested.

Incidentally, i've just gone the opposite way: Renthal ultralow off and tarozzi high rise clips on.

The renthal was ace, very comfy and you can tweek the forks up n down in the yolks for satisfaction- just 10mm either way seemed to make quite a difference.

I've got a balliblio handle bar going spare cabs, give us a shout if interested.

Incidentally, i've just gone the opposite way: Renthal ultralow off and tarozzi high rise clips on.

The renthal was ace, very comfy and you can tweek the forks up n down in the yolks for satisfaction- just 10mm either way seemed to make quite a difference.

Thanks Stew,

I am getting access to a mill to drill and counter bore the top yoke. Once that's done, I may tap you up for those bars.

You going to the Staff's Guzzi meet tonight?

Cab's