gear oil question

LowRyter

I have a question about the Tranny.  I am servicing it now.  I have some Bel Ray 80W-90.  I think the book calls for W90.  Which I think is straight 90 but I can't seem to find it.

I have some synth pink stuff in there now and it just dribbles out a little after I ride.

80-90 is called for th rear end, can I use it for the tranny?

Sorry to make a new post but I didn't find it on a search.  

I am sorry, I guess I asked wrong. I am just interested to know the proper weight of gear oil.

I have a quart of Bel Ray 80-90 now, will that work, or do I need find straight 90 somewhere?

I don't want fully syth since it leaks.  BTW- there are many weights of synth.

I am sorry, I guess I asked wrong. I am just interested to know the proper weight of gear oil.

I have a quart of Bel Ray 80-90 now, will that work, or do I need find straight 90 somewhere?

I don't want fully syth since it leaks.  BTW- there are many weights of synth.

I've run both Mobil 1 80-90 and Redline 80-90 forever. Of course they are both synthetics, but they don't leak.. for me anyway.

Thanks Chuck.  I found the book a little confusing.  Ever since I put that synth pink stuff in the GB it's just kept a little puddle on the floor after I ride it.  The Bel Ray might not help but I put some in the EV after hearing horror stories of the synth ruining all those 5 speeds.  

BTW the Bel Ray costs as much or more than synthetic.  I have no idea if it's a blend or what.  They sell it as a premium lubricant at Cycle Gear and motorcycle shops for the Beemer crowd.  It seems to work fine in the EV.  I am not sure if it will do anythig special in the Sport but I don't think it will harm it (now that I am good to go for 80-90).

In so far a "stupid service" I only had one set of pan gaskets (I never use the manhole) and I'll be dang if the weren't for the EV.  But the kicker is that I had probably made that mistake before since I didn't have a gasket on the pan in the first place.

I put the pink milk shake in the (old) Lario transmission trying to quiet it down, and it eventually found a way out of about every orifice. :) Not enough to cause a drip, but you could see it if you looked. I've been running Redline 80-90 (light shockproof) in the transmission and rear drive in the Scura since I've had it. I ran Mobil1 for 10s of thousands of miles in the transmission and rear drive of the Centauro. I'm pretty sure the Kid ran Mobil 1 in your greenie, too. And.. yes.. the EV has the plastic caged bearings in the transmission, as did the Centauro. :huh2: Didn't seem to bother it.

Chuck- I have seen you guys refer to "the pink milk shake" on several occasions.  Would you please explain exactly what this is...

Jerry

Not to speak for Chuck, but that would be Redline Heavy Shockproof. They also make Shockproof in Lightweight (blue milkshake), and Superlight.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=8

Pretty recent discussion on these forums here:

The Low Down Gear Oil Blues

yeah, well when I opened the Bell Ray IT WAS PINK STUFF!!!!

So I Okie-fied the whole damn mess and mixed about 2/3 Castrol Synth 75-90 I had on the shelf with 1/3 Pink Stuff.  When I drained the old stuff, I realized there is very dang little clearance between the drain bolt and the crossover.  Now it just might be that I just can't get the drain plug tight enough since I had to use my fingers to squeeze the wrench.  Anyway, it what it is.

And I've been using that Castrol synth forever in the EV until the last change (I think).  Yeah, it what it is.

And I just noticed I did have a bottle of Shockproof Blue Stuff.  Now I remember, I put it in the EV and then subsequently read how bad it is and drained it right back out.  I probably kept it to put in the Greenie.  And of course I forgot about it and just now saw it.

it is what it is.

I'll give the Okie cocktail a whirl and see how it goes.  I'll flush it with Bluestuff if it gives me one drip or bad shifts.  

If not, I'll just run it.

BTW, running the extender thingy too.

Step away from the machine, lay down the wrench, and nobody gets hurt.. :)

I really wouldn't start mixing and matching different brands. :rasta: and... synthetic and dino. It's probably ok but...

Ya gotta love oil threads. Must be winter.

• Like 1

Step away from the machine, lay down the wrench, and nobody gets hurt.. :)

I really wouldn't start mixing and matching different brands. :rasta: and... synthetic and dino. It's probably ok but...

Ya gotta love oil threads. Must be winter.

I agree with Chuck. I asked Micha at Moto International an oil question, and he said to me "Just ride your bike".

I took that to mean "it doesn't matter much, just follow your handbook, and stop fussing".