gear oil question

LowRyter

A few years back, I tried to switch to Yak Fat since Our Beloved P.Roper spoke so highly of the substance.

. . . but collecting it rather pissed the yaks off quite severely, so I went back to *whatever* and "the world was, once again, spinning on greased grooves." ;)

• Like 1

Docc, in the between the east and west part of the country that's almost in the south (+ texas), anything that smells like tex-mex, BBQ or any kind of steak usually works ok.  

No yak here but Pho is catching on (ox tail soup)

Finally got my pan gasket here after week wait from Harper's ($20, cough GASP- no wonder I didn't have one on there before).

Anyway, I took a test ride with the Okiecocktail gear oil and didn't miss a shift.  First time I can remember.  I only missed a single shift with the Lucky Phil Extender and pink stuff from the last ride.

Anyway, after I cleaned up the blow-by from the breather, everything appears to be drip free. 

I'll keep an eye on it.  Not sure when I'll ride it again since the 80 temps are heading to the 50s.  And since my hands were oily, I cleaned the grill and popped a PBR.  Spicing some tri-tips for tonight. 

Well, let's not forget about the PBR and tri-tip. Especially since the PBR is already open and the grill is already clean.  :bier:

My Scura tranny was leaking - and it appears to have been between the rear cases. In my case, I found some loose fasteners - maybe you can get in there and snug up everything you can reach. The bummer on mine was that the loose fasteners were under the rear cover (which is a time-intensive area to access).

ooops...  three drips under the tranny drain.   I did take a box end to it and was snug.  

forget  everything I said.

I don't think you can stop a gearoil drip with PBR. Try something dark and smoky from Blueboarhound"s selections in "Mmmmmmmm - beer!"

Those drain plugs have a "crush washer?" Maybe time for a fresh one?

ooops...  three drips under the tranny drain.   I did take a box end to it and was snug.  

I don't think you can stop a gearoil drip with PBR. Try something dark and smoky from Blueboarhound"s selections in "Mmmmmmmm - beer!"

Ya think??  :) Although a cheap Guzzista might try to make one out of a PBR can.  :rasta: Oh, BTW, that sump gasket is $3.64 from Cheeshead and Gordon.

Ya think??  :) Although a cheap Guzzista might try to make one out of a PBR can.  :rasta: Oh, BTW, that sump gasket is $3.64 from Cheeshead and Gordon.

I'm about to replace my *original* sump gasket (100,000 miles). :blush:  I've been saving one in an old Triumph calendar for years. (I hope that didn't ruin it!) So, I'll be looking for some sump gasket advice in the near future.

. . . by "Cheesehead and Gordon," you mean . . . MGCycle?

yeah I might dump it, get a new crush washer and pour in the blue stuff.  Only three drips (as usual). 

But it didn't botch a shift, even 2nd to 3rd.  

any beer but a hoppie IPA.

• Like 1

If you have been storing your gasket between the pages of a Triumph calendar you better check before installing.  It may have already absorbed the oil leaked by the Brit Bikes.  I can say that since I have one :-)

• Like 1

I think MG wanted $3 for the gasket but couldn't take an order for less that $10.   So I get a gasket for Harper's and the cost is $20.  Brilliant!

And the nutty thing is that I should've ordered more gaskets, molly and the like for future maintenance for both bikes.  

But I was in a hurry and didn't ask for the cost nor think about what I might need next time

Uhhhh, Harper's is generally not your cheapest supplier.  :) That honor goes to M.I. and/or Ida Mae Eish.

There's a reason that MGC doesn't want to sell you that $3 part, though.. and you just found it.