2002 V11 LeMans Spring Rate ?'s

JesterGrin_1

I am working on getting my ducks lined up. So as I was informed by the Door Knob Tooth Puller lol. That I should seriously look into upgrading the shock springs due to my over large size (FAT). So at this point I am right at 250 LBS with some gear on and tend to be more of a harder sport rider at times along with some short and longer highway miles so I will have a tank bag along with panniers and saddle bags and a good sized tail bag.

Any and all help with this information as well as best places to look for such items would be of great help for the mindless (Me) :)

Thank You one and all.

Hi Jester,

I'm probably about 240lbs with gear and my suspension is on the firm side so maybe my suspension settings will help.  I'm running 1.05 kg/mm fork springs from Traxxion Dynamics in my 2002 Marzocchi fork, and I have a 10.2 kg/mm spring on my Ohlins rear shock.

When I set up the forks I cut the spring preload spacers (PVC pipe) to give about 20mm of unladen sag and about 35mm of laden sag.  My sag targets in the back were approximately 7mm unladen/30mm laden.

Hope this helps.

PS the stock fork springs for the '02 Marzocchi are about .8 kg/mm.  I'm not sure what the rear spring is since my bike had the Ohlins on it when I bought it.

If you decide to go with a new shock, consider getting a taller spring*, as fitted to the Ohlins-equipped models. When I got a Hyperpro built for my LeMans, they asked if I wanted the taller (Ohlins-height) spring* or the standard (Marzocchi-height). I chose the stock height, and it sits noticeably lower than my Scura.

*edit:  should be taller shock, per comments below.

I thought it was a difference in the overall shock length, not just the spring length. A longer spring would not make much difference.

That makes sense. I probably didn't remember the conversation with the Hyperpro builder accurately.

I thought it was a difference in the overall shock length, not just the spring length. A longer spring would not make much difference.

You are correct the shock itself determines the extended length and compression length while the spring regulates weight carry and rate of compression of said spring.

So yes it would be a shorter shock with a stronger spring as with the shorter shock the shock distance would be shorter before rebound.

But as mentioned since I know pretty much nothing about the Moto Guzzi V11 I am trying to figure out the best places to purchase products and what products I should be looking at to improve the Moto Guzzi V11 in spots it may need upgrading and or improve response such as the suspension for my weight and cargo carrying capacity.

And yes I have been reading so much I needed to go out and purchase thicker reading glasses or it is just simply age lol. :)

What model and year V11 do you have?

Even though they may not be listed on their website, Traxxion Dynamics has fork springs for the pre-2003 Marzocchi forks.  I don't know if they have springs for the '03/04 Marz forks.

If you have gold forks maybe we should trade :D

Here's another source for fork springs that will fit the pre-'03 forks.

http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=141_144&osCsid=fe0cc39e68318b1c7dacff69ad20e472.

I'm sure there are a few monoshock replacement options.  Fire up the search engine and you'll find info on Penske, Ohlins, Matris, and others.

We have a Penske shock on the wifes V11. There are other good options out there, but I like that Penske custom makes every shock here (last I heard they make them in PA.) to your needs. They are really high quality and offer various adjust-abilities. But I have no direct ties to them or any other shock company.

The length question is, as I recall, based on there being two different length shocks from the factory for the V11. The normal one and the longer Ohlins shock. The longer shock increases ride height in the rear and steepens the rake slightly which may improve steering. When you get an aftermarket shock they can make it to either length, or like my Penske it can be adjustable for length.

In the end, you pick the shock you like at the price you can afford or are willing to pay, it is all going to be better than the stock shock. Improving the front at the same time is also a good idea. There are many threads around here about suspension improvements.

By the way, if I remember correctly the stock spring is around a 500lb / inch spring. It really is not overly soft. If you measure your sag you will see where you are at as far as spring rate vs. your weight.

What model and year V11 do you have?

Even though they may not be listed on their website, Traxxion Dynamics has fork springs for the pre-2003 Marzocchi forks.  I don't know if they have springs for the '03/04 Marz forks.

If you have gold forks maybe we should trade :D

Here's another source for fork springs that will fit the pre-'03 forks.

http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=141_144&osCsid=fe0cc39e68318b1c7dacff69ad20e472.

I'm sure there are a few monoshock replacement options.  Fire up the search engine and you'll find info on Penske, Ohlins, Matris, and others.

It will be a 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. :)