No Start in Nashville

Moto Murphy

You can test most items from under the seat, the start button can be tested in a roundabout way, this sketch shows where the wires terminate.

Around 2002/2003 Guzzi changed the wiring to run the Start relay-30 through the ignition switch (worst idea ever IMHO)

VII%20Early_zpsncuj44tc.jpg

Don't worry about using a ( if you don't have one ) DVOM , you will find what you need with a GOOD test light with a long lead attached to a good ground . If it will light a test light bulb , it is a good circuit .

Yup, this is so true. Sorry to have added complexity by asking about the voltmeter. It won't likely be necessary to solve this.

The DVOM will not give you the best result . The test light will add a load to the circuit . If the circuit will light the test light , you have a good circuit and you are ready to fix your problem or the next step .

• Like 1

I just bought a 2002 MG v11 Le Mans last week. Needless to say it didn't come with an owner manual. The dealer said the started push button didn't work very well. (no kidding) I've been able to start the bike once in 7 days. The MG dealer here in Nashville is only 5 years old. Can I order a starter button from them or do any of you folks have a better idea? BTW, I drove 880 miles one way to buy this bike. From Nashville Tn. to Texas City Tx. (15 hours) . One more thing.. I need the 2 side panels that cover the air boxes. In silver to match the bike. (red/silver)

New member and first time poster!!!

Moto Murphy contacted me to say he fiddled with the sidestand switch and got the bike started. I had to say that the trouble might still be lurking as that switch is unlikely to affect starting unless we sit on the bike with the stand up to start it.

Also, I have encountered the difference in body colors between the 1999-2001 "silver" Sport and the 2002 "grey" which is not at all the earlier silver, but darker.

What Docc says, if the bike is in Neutral Relay 3 shorts across the stand switch

When the stand switch eventually went on mine it stalled as soon as I put it in gear, it also showed up as the "Go WInkie" light flickering in an erratic fashion.

I wrapped a strand of bare wire around 30 & 87 pins of relay 3 to short out the stand switch and kept on going.

The same can be accomplished by poking a short wire into the relay socket 30 to 87

|  |  |  85, 87a, 86

• Like 1

Thank you  for all your in-put. I need to learn more about my bike, and you guys are already helping. This past Saturday morning I checked the kickstand sensor. I pressed it in and released it the bike started each time I did that without fail.

I'm not sure if the sensor can be serviced but a new one should last a while, lots of owners just disconnect it. 

If you look at the sketch I posted you will see the stand switch is connected across Relay 3 30 & 87 pins (Tp-b to TP-c) a temporary fix is to wrap a bare wire around relay the relay pins.

If you plug an Ohmmeter into the relay socket with the key off the reading will sort of indicate the health of the switch, the reading should be  

During a brief phone conversation with Moto Murphy last night, a loose clutch switch with missing fastener was discovered.

Here's hoping that's all there is to this one! :luigi:

• Like 2

docc-Im going to send Murphy a message that I know where he can get plenty of spare parts for a silver Sport in Tn.,  I might even be able to dig up an address............ :grin:

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!

Jerry

• Like 1