No Start in Nashville

Moto Murphy

I just bought a 2002 MG v11 Le Mans last week. Needless to say it didn't come with an owner manual. The dealer said the started push button didn't work very well. (no kidding) I've been able to start the bike once in 7 days. The MG dealer here in Nashville is only 5 years old. Can I order a starter button from them or do any of you folks have a better idea? BTW, I drove 880 miles one way to buy this bike. From Nashville Tn. to Texas City Tx. (15 hours) . One more thing.. I need the 2 side panels that cover the air boxes. In silver to match the bike. (red/silver)

New member and first time poster!!!

It's probably not the button, can you describe what happens when you push the button?

How you answer gives us valuable clues as to the problem

You have to pull in the clutch lever, the switch mounted on it is wired in series with the start button.

When you turn the key on do you hear the pump run for about two seconds, that must happen before the start button is activated. The pump priming indicates the power is getting

as far as the ECU.
When you push start do you hear a faint click under the seat? (the start relay picking up)
Will it crank when you wiggle the bars? (there are a couple of bullet connectors under the tank that work loose)

We'll soon have you running if you keep the communication going.

• Like 2

I do think we should start a new thread for you and your bike. What do you think?

We'll soon have you running if you keep the communication going.

I second that. Check that battery is fully charged, replace all 5 relays with OMRON, recite Guzzi incantation, and start.

I may have parts if needed (PM sent).

I agree. I'm new to this forum and it will take me time to figure it out. I was on VFR discussion forum several years ago. Just read your message. Yes I might be interested in the side panels and starter button

docc,  sounds good. I've wanted a Le Mans for years. I found one in Chicago about this time last year. By the time I called on it, it was sold. I think it is just the button. I bought a charger for this type of battery and charged it fully. I think I may have another issue that is discharging the battery.

Edited by Moto Murphy

Congratulations on the new bike, you do know its obligatory to post a picture don't you? :oldgit:

What type of battery is it?

The bike shouldn't normally have any parasitic current draw unless it has some accessories like a GPS or an after market Voltage regulator a standard VII of that era 

can sit all winter without needing a charge.

Here's a couple of schematics to start with, your bike may be somewhere in between.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/1999_V11_sport.gif

Note the bullet connectors  (59), You can use your meter to test the start button at the clutch switch (17)

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2004_V11_Sport_Catalytic.gif

Note the bullet connectors  (60), You can use your meter to test the start button at the clutch switch (17)

Starting problems are very common with these bikes but we need more information to get you on your way.

Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you turn the kill switch off and on again?

Less than 1% chance it is the starter button itself.

Probably better then 50% it is one or both of the front two relays (+1 on the OMRON)

Of there is no click or whirrrr whatsoever, it is very likely the bullet connectors for the clutch switch, or less likely: the clutch switch itself.

Those two things probably cover 75% of no start conditions in the V11.

Kiwi_Roy's questions are spot on, Murph. You have a voltmeter handy?

also clean the connectors for the fuses and relays with some contact cleaner.  Check for corrosion on the fuses and replace them, that's cheap.

Since you have intermittent problems it's likely a bad connection somewhere.  An easy place to start are the fuses and relays and the connecting block.  Replace them and clean it all up.  

My EV had an intermittent start problem.  Very inconsistent.  The starter would go like hell but it wouldn't start, after a few minute it would catch.  Finally discovered it was the fuse to the fuel pump.  A slight bit of corrosion and tendency to unseat itself in the fuse block.  

It took me more than a year to finally figure it out.  Of course I always had my gear on when it happened and couldn't hear the fuel pump (in this case not hear the non-powered fuel pump).  We finally discovered it when it died when I was riding with a group; a fellow rider took his volt meter lead and pressed the fuse and it took right off.  The fuse wasn't burned, it was just a little corroded and didn't seat.  Having ridden Japanese bikes these things never occurred to me but these problems are more common on these bikes.  I make electrical care and inspection as a normal maintenance item.  

Chuck told me that Guzzi ownership meant turning riders into mechanics for 80 years. 

It's probably something simple: battery, fuses, ground. Do what the others have said.

I have the original silver side panels from my 01 Sport. When I got the bike it was wearing dark grey LeMans side panels which I like better.

PM me an email and I can send you pics.

Don't worry about using a ( if you don't have one ) DVOM , you will find what you need with a GOOD test light with a long lead attached to a good ground . If it will light a test light bulb , it is a good circuit .

• Like 1

Don't worry about using a ( if you don't have one ) DVOM , you will find what you need with a GOOD test light with a long lead attached to a good ground . If it will light a test light bulb , it is a good circuit .

Yup, this is so true. Sorry to have added complexity by asking about the voltmeter. It won't likely be necessary to solve this.