Side cover ABS repair?

velofish

The V11 side covers can take on a lot of pressure from the skirts of the tank. I found shimming the tank up at the rear to be helpful

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone needing to repair their fairing parts, here is the method preferred by a friend that has owned a motorcycle repair/body shop for 20+ years. I spent years hanging around his shop, learning how to do all types of body work, and now do these repairs regularly for friends.

Use a soldering iron with a fine tip to melt cracked or broken pieces back together. The tip of the iron should be about midway through the plastic. I recommend practicing this technique on a scrap part, as it takes some practice to do right. If going to repaint the part, do this to both sides. To fill in any imperfections remaining and to help reinforce the repair, prep the area immediately adjacent to the cracks/break by removing any paint, dirt, etc. Scuff with 80 grit sandpaper. Next apply 3M Semi Rigid Plastic Repair (3M 04240) - a special gun is required to dispense it. You can order both from Amazon. Wipe it on like you would Bondo or similar body filler. This stuff sets FAST, so you have to be quick. You can also use the semi rigid plastic repair to fill in missing sections of fairing. After it sets completely, sand down any area that is going to be repainted, primer it and repaint.

Another option is to glue it. We use ABS in 3D printing. It dissolves with acetone. You can make a slurry of ABS shavings and acetone and use that to glue it together. Once the acetone evaporates you have... ABS...

yeah,  my guy that fixed my transmission did weld the plastic on the starter cover.  It was a total kluge.  Now, don't get me wrong,  If I wanted to repaint the whole thing, it would be OK.  

I will reiterate that the 3M solution is where you might want to start.  In fact my body guy, who is an expert, had to get rid of that weld stuff and clean it up before he could fix it with the 3M.  

Yes, welding plastic works but to do it it right, plan to paint the piece.  Not a viable option for the Greenie IMO.

just passing on my experience.