Are these normal?

voycie

John/Scud...Mine is definitely the single plate, original clutch...prior owner had looked at it with the boroscope and showed zero signs of cracking, spidering or imminent destruction. The bike shifts cleanly, precisely...zero issues.

Now...assuming that the current single plate is still in good shape, is it not normal for the OEM single plate clutch to be rattly when in neutral and disengaged, and quiet when pulled in?

I see the exact opposite on my 2008 Norge - disengaged quiet, pulled in noisy.

If in fact, I'm sitting on a time bomb, then it's time for me to replace it for peace of mind for the RAM single plate...

Thanks guys!

Those cameras are less than $20 on Amazon. Cheaper than pulling the transmission off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ - it seems that some of the original Scura flywheels have lasted for a while, but many have found small cracks when replaced pre-emptively. I ran mine for about 10,000 miles and it showed no signs of fatigue when I removed it. I felt comfortable with that amount of use, because it seemed most of the failures were on the other side of 20,000 miles. 

You have to make your own decision, but for me, the uncertainty and the potential cost of failure were the main factors that led me to replace it early. Grab a beer (or several) and read all the threads that come up when you search things like "Scura Clutch" or "Single Plate Clutch Failure." 

A little camera, and a flywheel inspection at each oil change, might remove the uncertainty for you. However, I think the cracks would start around the bolt holes where the flywheel mates to the crankshaft - and that these would be difficult to detect.

By the way - my comment about the noise being the clock on the time-bomb was in jest, but there is a grain of truth in the joke. The noise as you describe it totally normal for the Scura. I think the "flywheel as time bomb" is real - but it's a silent killer that gives no notice in advance of failure.

By the way - my comment about the noise being the clock on the time-bomb was in jest, but there is a grain of truth in the joke. The noise as you describe it totally normal for the Scura. I think the "flywheel as time bomb" is real - but it's a silent killer that gives no notice in advance of failure.

So a Sucra will make noise in neutral? What is making the noise?

The noise as you describe it totally normal for the Scura. 

So a Sucra will make noise in neutral? What is making the noise?

That remains a mystery to me, but the noise goes away when lever is pulled in.

My best guess is that the flat (blade-type) clutch springs are free to bounce or vibrate a bit when they are not under pressure. Then, when the lever is pulled, it forces the push-cup into the pressure plate and the springs can't bounce - and then no noise.

By contrast, the twin plate makes noise with the lever in because the stack of plates in the flywheel becomes loose. Then the teeth of the pressure plate and intermediate plate rattle inside the flywheel's teeth. The wear patterns on flywheels show this.

Thanks Scud...good to know...it's on my list of things to "eventually" get around to along with the Roper plate install as well.  Too many hobbies and activities to get it all done quickly, but hopefully soon!