Right Side Tank Storage (external pump)

Kiwi_Roy

As you all know the fuel tank has a dead area on the RH side, the pump sucks from the left but returns to the right.

If out of fuel you can tilt the bike to transfer fuel from R to L but the pump quickly returns it.

I had my tank off over the weekend and thought about this.

It's possible to swap the fuel return to where the fuel level sensor currently resides, this would circulate fuel back to where the pump can reach it. The fuel level hole is a little too large for the regulator but a simple plate would fix that, the smaller hole on the right could be reamed to fit the sensor.

Then I got to think about another way, leave the return on the right but install an internal pipe to throw the returning fuel back over the hump.

I installed a bit of 5/16 brake line with a right angle bend at the top pointing towards the Left

Sorry I haven't figured out posting pictures since PB kidnapped mine.

Basically 7" to rt angle bend, Flare on the bottom to jamb inside the flange with an "O" ring to seal.

If I run out I should have some fuel trapped on the right I can slosh over the hump and with smooth riding it should stay there.

Now if I can just get the tank back on 

Once there was a discussion to the same topic with Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde, aka DLaing/?? (forgot his name, anyone can help out?). An option was to somehow add a small tube to the pressure valve for bringing the backflow to the other side of the saddle. All nice and easy, just the "somehow" wasn't too clear.

On the other hand I'd be afraid that such a solution would turn the usual rather empty tank downhill cutoff into into a final 'from here on we walk' full stop.

The gas on the right still won't transfer by itself so I should still get the warning eh

How long does it take for an ethanol distorted tank to grow back?

I assume it's not enough to just switch to ethanol free gas.

Sent from my shoe phone!

I'm not sure these tanks don't just stretch regardless. I've been *pretty diligent * with zero ethanol fuel and my tank is probably 10mm long.

Recently, I emptied it completely and left it open about a week and it still needed compression to mount.

My 1150GS trapped about a gallon on the wrong side of the tank. I made a siphon tube that ran from the low spot on each side of the tank up to a T at the hump with a hose up to the filler neck, plugged at the top. You could bleed the air out when the tank was full by pulling the plug, the fuel pushed the air out. If I dropped the bike or ran almost out of gas I had to re-bleed it but it worked great.

I always wanted to try to make some kind of venturi setup using the flow from the fuel return in the tank. I figured the low pressure from the venturi would constantly draw the fuel from the other side if it was strong enough. Never got around to it but maybe on the V11.

That's brilliant Coreytrevor

How did you ensure it syphoned back faster than the pump delivered it?

How did you fasten it in the tank

I tried to lever the tank back on with no success, it's been difficult before.

I contemplated moving the rubber front support further forward, I think that would be easy enough.

Tonight I will remove the seat cowell, that's what it's having trouble clearing

Perhaps we need to make some metal bracing to stop it growing like a strap from each front cup to the rear screw hole.

Sell it as a kit. 

On my GS, and on my 03 V11 also, the fuel pump is self contained on one side of the tank, so the pickup and return are on the same side. Because of that my siphon didn't need to flow very fast. I figured it only needed to flow about half as fast as fuel was being used. I guess you people with the return on the other side of the tank would have to move the return to the pickup side. I don't see how a siphon would work otherwise. 

On my GS, I used fuel line and weighted it with something(been a long time) to hold it down. The siphon kept getting air in it and eventually I figured out that the fuel return was putting small air bubbles up the siphon. I took 2 of these fuel filters (how do you resize photos?) and cut away most of the housing, leaving the gold element part exposed, and put them at the bottom of the hoses. That kept the air out unless the bike was on it's side.81-0221.jpg

(how do you resize photos?) 81-0221.jpg

On ImgZeit, select the size (full, large, medium, small) on right before copying the BB code.

So, Kiwi_Roy, I love this topic. How I wish I could get to that last 0.8-1.0 US gallon of fuel !

I have to take my tank off (again :bbblll: ) tonight. Let us know how you make out with the ratchet strap method . . .

IMG_2792.JPG

On one of my Bultacos there is a hose that loops under the tank at the front to allow the fuel to drain equally from both sides. Typically this is a solid hose and you have to pull it and gas leaks everywhere when you remove the tank. I cut the hose in half and put a quick disconnect inline.

https://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/quick_disconnect_couplings/

12-0038.jpg

Theoretically you could do this with the V11 tank. Not ideal but it could work.