V11s Necessary Modifications - the definitive list

Guest R-B

Quoted from macfie_r (on Yahoo MGOCUK group) "Once the mods like extra earths, ecu protection and gearbox shimming are done it is one hell of a bike"

so just WHAT ARE the necessary modifications and has anyone told the factory?? I'm especially interested in this "gearbox shimming" issue!

The reason for asking for it all to be in one thread is that it them makes for a very convenient "one-stop-shop" for new riders.

If this has been done before could someone post the link up?

Many thanks! :D

R-B, I think this refers to the 1100 Sporti models with the old 5-speed box which does benefit from Pete's shimming fix :luigi: . V11 Sports have their own list of 'oddities' (dependant on year/luck - mines a 2000, only replaced a neutral switch so far ignoring the recall :moon: ) most of which are covered by this board.

Phil

Yup, it's the older five speeders that benefit from shimming. While I haven't yet had a six speeder in bits the fact that the selection is taken care of by geared cam plates rather than a drum means that you'd effctively be dependent of the plate channels being accurately machined at the factory as there is, as far as I can see, no leeway for fine tuning. Having said that all the V11's I've ridden have selected well as long as the boxes were in good condition and well lubricated, (With oil rather than mayonaise!).

Other things I'd recommend are running an extra earth from the regulator/rectifier and the instrument binacle to the block, (I know that there is now a separate earth wire from the reg/rec, I just don't trust it :D ) and adding another, more substantial earth strap from a bell housing nut/stud to the battery negative. While the V11's have their batteries located in a far more sensible position than the 1100 Sports the earth path is still pretty crappy and I like a direct run from block to battery.

Pete

My personal list of mods which satisfy me the most:

1 - Napoleon bar end mirrors mounted at the bar ends (doh). Kill vibration, add to safety since you can USE them and enhance beautifully the retro look of the bike.

2 - Redline Heavy Shockproof gearoil in both boxes. The quality of shifting has to be experienced to be believed.

3 - Factory shop stand. Greatly helps in bonding with the bike.

4 - Open airbox, good cans and PC-III. The sound alone is worth it.

5 - $10 watch which looks like at least $200 one and matches Veglia instruments perfectly. Double taped to a big nut top in front of the gas tank.

6 - Spare front half of the front fender and spare passenger seat cover - both red plus Stucci flyscreen. Now I can modify my bike look in many ways. Tremendously adds to my vanity.

7 - All the emission stuff and gravity valves removed and sent to the garbage bin. Great satisfaction of poking up the nose of bad politicians.

Actually after test riding a few the V11 series are probally one of the first Guzzi's in a long time you can simply just get on and ride. Run it in and enjoy it PCIII intake exhaust mods aren't neascarry athough a lot like to do them. The fuel injections is pretty good. Dpending on the kinda of rider you are there might be a few ground clearance issues to sort set the suspesnion up run it in. Get a decent pre delivery. But there are no chasims in the power delivery you don't need both hands on the throttle to twist it open and the seat is even reasnoble. There is a course a difference between nesscary mods nd mods that make life a lot easier.

the seat is even reasnoble

Murray,

For those of us who are taller (I'm 6'2") the seat and general ergos suck! I have gone through a fair amount of $ to make the bike fit me but the seat (lack of)comfort was appaling. A Ruich Maund Seat, and an Airhawk, add taller bars with heavier barends, and Centauro Controls and now I can do all day rides with the best of them. I added the Hepco Becker Bags so now I can carry stuff too. I look at the V11 as a great starting point. Customize as you see fit.

I agree that the motor when set up right is pretty good in stock trim. Although you can get more power to me the cost/benefit ratio is poor.

Guest northend

Hmmm, I'm 6'3'' 200lbs and I find the ergos and seat fine. All though I did put on some throttlemiester bar ends to cut out some of the vibrations.

MODS

FBF air box kit

M-4 carbon cans

Power Commander III USB (FBF)

Remove pollution crap & tip-over valve

Throttlemiesters

Pro Grip gel grips

Tekno Bags

FBF Crossover (fits better than the Mistral)

Sync throttle bodies & set TPS

Should be dynoed for a custom map but haven't done yet

BMW type plug in for battery tender or electric vest

Joe Kenny cylinder head protectors

Tankslappers clear vinyl tank protectors

I think thats it :blink: .......I think. :blink: .....Its getting late -_- ......Later,Jeff

Rich Maund seat

handlebars

R90S fairing

tank bag is wonderful

techno bags are ok

karma infusion is absolutely required

The aftermarket pipes and K&N's are more for principle than actual performance gains.

I don't have a PCIII and mine runs just fine. I'll probably get one someday, though.

J

Other things I'd recommend are running an extra earth from the regulator/rectifier and the instrument binacle to the block, (I know that there is now a separate earth wire from the reg/rec, I just don't trust it :D ) and adding another, more substantial earth strap from a bell housing nut/stud to the battery negative. While the V11's have their batteries located in a far more sensible position than the 1100 Sports the earth path is still pretty crappy and I like a direct run from block to battery.

Pete

Pete,

To ground the R/R, can you just run a ground to the case of the R/R?

And the instrument binacle, where to attach the ground to it?

Wire size for these ? 14 guage? 16?

Do you think the stock ground cable is just too small? Or that a second one is advisable?

I counted 23 points of earth on the wire diagram, yet the only earths on the bike i can find are the battery cable and the terminal stack on the neg terminal. Could be better . . .

Necessary (based on an '00 V11S)

Oil cooler brackets - check

Replace or carry spare relays

Headlight bulb shield?

Re-plumb fuel system (see VL thread - not everyone affected)

Drill drain holes in tach housing (misting - again not everyone affected)

Check rear drive assy greased (some dry)

Rear wheel bearing failure? (brake side)

Keep shift mechanism lubricated / upgrade trans fluid for better shift

Ensure rear brake pedal has some free-play (stock was ~1mm, 5 to 8 mm advised)

Nice to have

K&N filter

PC

Mistral cans

Airbox mods

Tank bag and Tekno bags

Fly screen or better still - Magni fairing

Gio

I have an '00 Sport, and one of the best bang-for-the-buck modifications I've made on it is to replace the stock crossover with a Stucchi crossover. It eliminated the flat spot under 5K without sacrificing any high-RPM power. If I had it to do over again, this would have been my first mod.

Other crossovers may get rid of the flat spot as well, but you have to be careful... some of them will rob you of peak power at the same time. The Stucchi gets my vote 100%. :thumbsup:

If you have a newer bike with the re-desined exhaust, this probably won't apply.

Docc, after many years of working on queer european motorbikes I always go completely over the top with earthing :rolleyes: Why. Simply because in my experience 99.9% of all prblems are earth related!

The way I do it is to simply run extra wires, (They don't have to be a heavy guage, I just use standard 1 or 1.5mm cabling.) from one of the instrument mounting bolts to an allen bolt on the crank case and another extra one from a mounting screw for the reg/rec to the same bolt. In both cases I use a simple 5m eye on each end. This can be done very unobtrusively. Then by using a sodding great earth strap, (Available from 'Napa' or any other 'Wotta-lotta-crap' auto shop.) I attatch one end to a bell housing stud, (Once again this can be done unobtrusively up by the bracket on the top two studs.) and connect it straight to the battery earth.

This ensures that the block and gearbox are the main return path. While as i said, the V11's are better in respect to earthing than the Sport 1100's, (where the earth path is positively bizzare!) the earth strap on the V11's is a bit weedy and is bolted to painted bits with very little effort having beenput in to ensuring good contact. If one bolts the major return paths securely to clean metal on the block it is a lot less likely that the electrics will play up.

I hadn't actually thought about the relay earth wire at all! Given the propensity for early relays to go tits-up at the drop of a hat perhaps running an alternative earth wire from there to the block too wouldn't do any harm, but that is probably overkill and will have the electrical engineers amonst us grinding their teeth!!!! :D

Pete

the seat is even reasnoble

Murray,

For those of us who are taller (I'm 6'2") the seat and general ergos suck! I have gone through a fair amount of $ to make the bike fit me but the seat (lack of)comfort was appaling. A Ruich Maund Seat, and an Airhawk, add taller bars with heavier barends, and Centauro Controls and now I can do all day rides with the best of them. I added the Hepco Becker Bags so now I can carry stuff too. I look at the V11 as a great starting point. Customize as you see fit.

I agree that the motor when set up right is pretty good in stock trim. Although you can get more power to me the cost/benefit ratio is poor.

Compared to the 1100 sport the v11 is much more confortable bike. Except the bars/clipon's much lower ie below the tripple tree's. One on the things putting me off the current series oh and I would like some more power and quicker reponse time to throttle imputs kinda like the way a fourvalver spins up.

I have an '00 Sport, and one of the best bang-for-the-buck modifications I've made on it is to replace the stock crossover with a Stucchi crossover.

I completely forgot about Stucci x-over writing my list; it is wonderful, totally agree.