Fitting over-seat panniers and tank bag

belfastguzzi

I would love to hear how people have adapted fittings on bags or bike.

I have Oxford tankbag, panniers, tailbag.

I want to attach them to the bike without a rear rack.

There's nothing much around the seat or the tank to attach straps or bungee hooks to.

The seat pan doesn't allow an underseat strap to run through.

If anyone has fitted Oxford or similar products, I wonder have you just attached longer straps or have people fitted tie-down brackets or loops to the bike, front and rear? Or what...?

Howdy Belfastguzzi

I have only had my V11 a couple of weeks - it came with a Bagster tank bag which is lucky because my old tank bag (Oxford) was magnetic. The bagster is not anywhere as nice a product as the Oxford both in design and material (some ghastly leatherette type stuff) but I'm stuck with it. The bike has a little rack which, although small could provide sum bungee points - I think motomecca sell them - I'm not sure how to attach a photo so if you send me an email I'll return it with a photo

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'll e-mail you later. Neither the e-mail or the PM systems seem to be working at the moment.

My Oxford tank bag worked fine on a steel tank with the headstock strap and the magnets.

I took the magnets out yesterday, for the Guzzi. The front strap willl just about go around the headstock at full-length adjustment. I think I'll make bracket for the Guzzi spine to attach tank-bag straps to, as I don't see anything handy.

I wonder what your tank bag attaches to?

Guest richiebangsnatch

I have used Oxford throw-overs (just throw them over the top - leaving the seat cowl in place & secure with 2 bungees) but they caught the wind at 120mph+ & I nearly fell off so I won't use them again.

I have also used the Motomecca rear rack - useful for carrying nothing except maybe about 1 can of beer.

I have decided to just use my Baglux this year & if anything doesn't fit in, I won't take it.

Neither the e-mail or the PM systems seem to be working at the moment.

:huh2: If you encounter problems, please let me know right away! Copy the error message and email it to me: info@v11lemans.com

I checked, but everything seems to work.

(just throw them over the top - leaving the seat cowl in place & secure with 2 bungees) but they caught the wind at 120mph+ & I nearly fell off so I won't use them again.

Hi RichieBS

yeah, 'casual" is not the way to go when attaching luggage to a bike. When I was looking at the web for info I came across a story about someone being killed when an Oxford tailpack slid round and into the back wheel. There were a few stories like that and apparently this was a major issue for Oxford. Not supplying correct fitting instructions was the issue.

Take care with those bungees. I wouldn't rely on them.

....that's very true, fitment, or ill-fitment can be critical.

On my first long tour a few years back, my Tour Master bags took a good bit of fiddling to get to stay put properly on the FJ. There weren't any model-specific instructions, so I had some issues keeping them off the wheel when fully loaded. And at one point out in nowhere Utah, they nearly broke my remote nitrogen cannister for my rear shock of, when the right side shiftedf. I just happened to notice it at one stop, otherwise it could have broken free and gone right into the wheel :o Good thing I had a bunch of plastic wire ties and tools with me ^_^

But yes, for all "toss on" soft luggage, always check and double check along the ride, as they can loosen, and move around into positions you swore would be impossible when you cinched them down before the trip <_>

al