2003+ Fuel Tank Capacity

al_roethlisberger

Ok, well.... my experiments with vapor-lock and fuel-capacity have taken yet another turn :rolleyes:

I've got a 2003 tank from a wrecked LeMans with the internal fuel-pump on the way, and will be doing some testing with that. If it's in good enough shape, I'll probably just swap out my 2002 external-pump solution with the new one... which of course requires some wiring harness mods, but should solve the vapor-lock problem permanently :thumbsup:

However, I am still curious how much fuel the 2003+ tanks make available to the engine before quitting.

So, has anyone run a late-model in-tank fuel-pump tank "dry"(meaning, bike quits, not necessarily totally empty), and then measured the total fill-up afterwards?

I'd like to compare this with my modified dual-tap old-style 2002 tank, and also know if the 2003+ tanks also leave any fuel "trapped" in the tank unavailable to the pump.

Looking at the bottom of the 2003+ tank, it seems a bit larger underneath to accomodate the fuel-pump module. But that package will certainly take up some space internally... so I'm curious if it's a net-net zero loss in capacity, or if some fuel capacity is lost, and if that amount is even significant.

I suspect it is not a big deal, but I'd like to quantify it.

If no one else has measured these things, I'll just test the two tanks back to back when I get the new tank in a few weeks and report, but was just curious.

al

BTW,

I got a quote to paint the tank by a reputable shop in Rewood City(CycleFinish.net) for $350. They come highly recommended. Does this seem "reasonable"?

I'm not shocked by the price, but I've never painted a tank for a bike before, so just touching base for a reality-check ^_^

Thanks!

al

Ok, well.... my experiments with vapor-lock and fuel-capacity have taken yet another turn :rolleyes:

I've got a 2003 tank from a wrecked LeMans with the internal fuel-pump on the way, and will be doing some testing with that. If it's in good enough shape, I'll probably just swap out my 2002 external-pump solution with the new one... which of course requires some wiring harness mods, but should solve the vapor-lock problem permanently :thumbsup:

However, I am still curious how much fuel the 2003+ tanks make available to the engine before quitting.

So, has anyone run a late-model in-tank fuel-pump tank "dry"(meaning, bike quits, not necessarily totally empty), and then measured the total fill-up afterwards?

I'd like to compare this with my modified dual-tap old-style 2002 tank, and also know if the 2003+ tanks also leave any fuel "trapped" in the tank unavailable to the pump.

Looking at the bottom of the 2003+ tank, it seems a bit larger underneath to accomodate the fuel-pump module. But that package will certainly take up some space internally... so I'm curious if it's a net-net zero loss in capacity, or if some fuel capacity is lost, and if that amount is even significant.

I suspect it is not a big deal, but I'd like to quantify it.

If no one else has measured these things, I'll just test the two tanks back to back when I get the new tank in a few weeks and report, but was just curious.

al

Alski,

I have not run my 03 out of gas (knock on wood), it is not very good for the fuel pump to run dry. Takes alot of life off the pump.

I can tell you this, either my 03 gets worst fuel mileage than my 00 V11Sport or the tank size is smaller than the 00 to 02 bikes. I can get about 30 more miles per tank on the 00 V11Sport. The claimed fuel tank size for 03 was suppost to be larger, but I wonder if that was with the fuel pump and filter installed in the tank?

Mike

Hrmm, well I guess we'll see.

I measured the 00-02 tank and got 5.69 gallons for total capacity, per my trusty Shell Gas Station Pump :rolleyes: As I mentioned in the "wasted fuel" thread, this is "close enough" to the 5.5 gallons specified per Guzzi.

The capacity of the 03+ tanks per Guzzi, is 5.46 gallons, with a 1.32 gallon reserve.... whatever that means :rolleyes: I mean honestly, no one has explained this to me yet, since we don't have a "reserve switch" either mechanical nor electronic that I know of :huh2:

So it seems like the new tanks must be a bit larger in some dimension, and I guess I'll learn what that is when I get the 03 tank. I do know that the right side under the tank is wider to accomodate the pump "module" but beyond that, I don't know how the dimensions may have changed.

Here's hoping that the tank itself is not GROSSLY enlarged such that it won't play nice with my 02 fairing. We'll see I guess.

Anyway, if the tank is a genuine 5.5ish gallons, most of which the pump can really actually siphon.... then that sounds good. I wouldn't mind sacrificing 10-20 miles range to clean up all the hoses, pumps, and filters... and eliminate the vapor-lock. But I wouldn't want to lose a whole gallon or more of capacity.

Dunno yet... stay tuned. I'll let ya'll know what I find... once I have the 03 tank in-hand.

al

So,

If the 2003 tanks works out fine logistically on my 2002 bike... as I mentioned, I'll need to get it painted since it was in an accident, and doesn't match anyway.

So, I'll just get it painted champagne of course, and may paint the top "silver" stripe a nice metallic red to match the red highlights on the bike. Pretty simple and straightforward.

But while trying to decide what to do about the badge/decal(I don't like the stock decal on the 2002, looks cheap IMHO) ... I actually thought that the classic metal block letter badges might look interesting on the tank :huh2:

I'm trying to picture it in my mind.... maybe a photo-chop is in order? :D

It's the badge at the top of the photo below, "Moto Guzzi"... what do you think?

badges.jpg

Al,

think 'Gambalunga'. B):sun::sun:B)

The latest "Robb Report" has an article about that bike and the bike has a slightly different graphic. Did anyone buy that rag? Could I get a copy of the picture if anyone did? OK, OK I'm cheap. I admit it.

J

Al,

think 'Gambalunga'.

.... "Gambalunga"? Sorry, ya lost me there :huh2:

:D

BTW, I thought about using the art-deco logo below. When I first saw the logo last year, I thought it was super-spiffy, and I still do. But after thinking about it some more, I'm not so certain it goes with the flowing lines of the bike IMHO.

I'll have to take another look at Joe Camarda's bike and think about it some more ^_^

Any other opinions on the metal "Moto Guzzi" tank emblem? I may just buy a pair and "glue" them on my defective tank, for a test drive B)

al

...the flowing lines of the bike...

Any other opinions on the metal "Moto Guzzi" tank emblem? I may just buy a pair and "glue" them on

My opinion –

I'm not sure that 3-D metal badges would look great stuck on to a plastic tank. I'd be inclined to keep it all flat / smooth, which means a decal or paint job.

I agree that the 2002 graphic isn't anything special.

I'd like to find/get the oval red MG decal that is on the 2004+ bikes, and that "anniversary" decal(or whatever it is) that is on the top of the tank.

I'm going to order the metal badges and see what they look like. You might be right, it may not look right. We'll see :D

al

Gambalunga"? Sorry, ya lost me there 

the uk owners club magazine - translates as " long legged"

sorry don't have a copy

http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/

club site under reconstruction but getting there slowly.

My earliest recollection of Moto Guzzi is the "long legged and easy to live with" full page adds in the "motorcycle news" circa 1978. I was 14 and just discovering the finer things in life - motorcyles of course

http://www.thundergod.plus.com/Mole%20Valley%20Remember.htm

Al, apparently Moto Guzzi doesn't know the true capacity of the 03 fuel tank either. I've not yet received a reply to my inquiry (3 weeks ago) about capacity from them ...I'm not holding my breath. I guess I'll just keep topping off whenever the low fuel light starts to glow. Usually it takes around 3.5 gallons to top off at that point. I'd be interested in your findings or perhaps encouragement to send another email to MG.

.... "Gambalunga"? Sorry, ya lost me there knownothing.gif

The Gambalunga/ Gambalunghino were racers from 1946 -1951. The name implies its stroke having been lengthened from the Dondolino. In '51 it carried the same emblem of the 2000 -2001 Sports, rather than the earlier "art deco" version:

gallery_328_223_212218.jpg