Changing picture res to reduce file size

Took some pics of my MPH Cycles handlebar risers and got the images on a CD from the local photo processor. I wanted to post them on forum but unfortunately the file size of the pics is about 800k -- close to three times the acceptable level for posting here.

Anyone know how to reduce the resolution of a picture to get the file size down?

Guest geezerx

The short answer (as far as I know) is that picture editing software is needed. Photoshop Elements 2 is my personal favorite, although there are quite a few programs available with a variety of features and prices.

There are two things I generally consider when editing for internet display. One is total size of picture in terms of pixels high and pixels wide. This determines the amount of screen space the picture will occupy on the computer monitor. The other is resolution of the image. For internet display purposes I generally use 72 pixels per inch. This should get you well under 100K per picture. Almost forgot, I use jpg as the file format.

Guest geezerx
There are two things I generally consider when editing ...

D$%@ malfunctioning brain cells. :blush: Make that three things. The first step would be to crop the photo.

IrfanView or ACDSee(sp?) are my freebie favorites for the most common and lightweight picture editing functions.

al

For Macophiles, Graphic Converter can't be beat (but it is shareware) for lightweight work. For any platform, the GIMP is a photoshop clone, but absolutely free.

Then again, the 'instant image resizing' service sounds pretty convenient.

Cheers,

J