give me that good earth

Tim

I saw a post by Pete Roper some time ago talking about the need for extra earths - engine and regulator from ehat I could recall. Can anyone give me a bit more info about this - what to earth and why - is it necessary on a Y2k model V11s?

as usual all (constructive) info and advice gratefully received

Tim

That applies mainly to the Sport 1100i's that have the dubious ground path of the regulator mounted on the fairing sub-frame. Most Guzzi's need to have their battery cable connections kept in prime condition though.

I'm planning on making the additional grounds the next time my tank is off. I hate to tear the thing down while it is running so well!

Pete recommended a more substantial ground strap from battery to block. ( At the very least be sure the connections are clean and tight), Adding a separate ground wire to the regulator and the instruments.

I can't recall for sure.... so do your own research, but I think that in that thread or two where the recommendation for additional earths was made, someone pointed out that the later bikes(V11 Sport/LeMans for example) had adequate earthing, and even had a good ground from the batter to engine case :huh2:

You might want to check, but I think the point was that it could probably be improved, but the new bikes seem to not suffer so much from this malady as older models did.

al

To be honest of you havn't had any problems I wouldn't bother. Its a bit like the relays thing. The first run of V11's had problems with the siemins relays now however any elctrical problem on the V11 must be the relays. Never mind that the socket it sits in is dirty and the action of pulling it out and pushing in a new one cleans the contacts well enough for it to start working. With most eletrics leave them alone unless they give you problems they are more reliable this way. Just go and ride the !@#$ing thing.

The regulator on the V11 Sports is bolted directly to frame/engine. Just make sure the bolts don't work loose. The Daytonas and Sport 1100/1100i's suffered from a poor regulator mounting earth. I haven't seen anything like it on any other model of Guzzi though. Clean connections are happy connections.