2003 Tank Wiring Harness Questions

al_roethlisberger

So, as mentioned elsewhere, I have a 2003 tank on it's way from the UK to install on my 2002 LeMans.... and I have some questions hopefully someone knows the answers to.

Obviously there are some wiring differences between the 2003 in-tank fuel pump version, and my old 2002 external fuel pump tank.

First and foremost, the wiring harness for the pump module is certainly different.

On the 2002, the 12v power leads have eyelets that attach to the screw terminals on the external pump. On the newer tank, although I haven't yet seen the connector, I'm certain it is simply a snap weather-tight AMP connector at the end of the harness.

So, to hack this into my 2002 harness(or make an adapter), I'd like to ask if anyone has any knowledge as to which wire/pin in the connector is positive, and negative for the pump circuit?

Secondly, on the 2003 tank, apparently the fuel-level sensor/sender is also integrated into the in-tank pump module, and it's lead is also integrated into the same harness wires as the pump circuit coming out of said module.... as opposed to being a separate sensor and connector on the left side of 2002 and earlier bikes.

If someone knows or can identify the relevant wires/pins for this as well, that would be great.

This could save me some time, and perhaps grief once I get the tank in-hand in a week or two :thumbsup:

Thanks!

al

For Gods sake Al take it out & ride the f*ckin thing...

Ummm, well I'm at work, sooo :huh2:

But hey, rode it for the last three days, even to work and back. Aren't you proud? ;)

But I have to go by Home Depot today to pick up some building materials for the house, then to Pet Co-Land-Smart for cat dirt and a new box.... so I'll be driving the Surburban in the rain today :D

But seriously, if anyone knows the answers to my questions above... it'll just "get me on the road" even faster. So hey, that's a good thing right? :lol:

al

Al, if I were not under the influence of pain killing liquid I would go out in the garage and take a look under the tank of the LeMans. I could just ask a question or two of those rather dubious mechanics :luigi: where I bought my bike on the morrow. I know that you aren't too fond of the answer I received about the fuel tank issue, but what the heck....it could be enlightening or amusing in any case. :)

AL:

In my 2002 owners manual there is a wiring diagram. Would a copy of that help?

It might... if it's current and represents the *2003* tank wiring, and not the old harness. I say that as Guzzi is notorious about not keeping(or even making available :P ) their documentation up to date :P

So, sure :thumbsup:

al

The original tankbag won't fix no more on the 2003 tank.

If have some fake, than.......

ciao

Really?! :huh:

My Guzzi tankbag has lots of adjustment left in the straps on my 2002 tank, sooo :huh2:

Ah well, we'll see how it all fits once I get the tank. Hopefully the dimensions didn't change in such a way that it won't fit with my 2002 fairing either. From my casual observations on other 2000 versus 2003 bikes, I don't think it will... hopefully.

al

The original tankbag won't fix no more on the 2003 tank.

If have some fake, than.......

ciao

Really?! :huh:

My Guzzi tankbag has lots of adjustment left in the straps on my 2002 tank, sooo :huh2:

Ah well, we'll see how it all fits once I get the tank. Hopefully the dimensions didn't change in such a way that it won't fit with my 2002 fairing either. From my casual observations on other 2000 versus 2003 bikes, I don't think it will... hopefully.

al

Yes, your Guzzi has lots of adjustement left in the straps, I am glad with that.

Soooo, I don’t know soooo. What do you mean with sooo????

I saw somebody at the Guzzi dealer in Amsterdam (www.motortoer.com) with a bike the model after the mine and he has a tankbag like the mine but it did not fix on it.

The problem is the distance from the bolt of fixing of the tank until the stopper of the gasoline.

This distance is to short. Try to belive.

Sooo.

ciao

"Sooo" just means, "based on that, I dunno" :D

I hear ya, and I believe.. I'm just hoping "it ain't so" ^_^

The tankbag I have has two holes for the rear bolt, and I currently use the shorter/closer one, so maybe I got lucky and got a bag designed for 2003+ tanks :huh2:

We'll see.

al

Al, better see if you can come up with a wiring harness for an 03 LeMans. It may be your best bet in the end. If you need the wiring diagram from the 03, let me know..I'll scan mine and email it to you.

...you are probably correct, although I think I can build a new connector or adapter pretty easily. I'd hate to change out the whole harness just for two connectors :rolleyes:

BTW, how many wires/pins come out of the 2003 connector? I'm hoping 4, which would make it pretty easy to figure out.

...if it's 3, that will prove more challenging to "figure out" :unsure:

All in all, I'll know the answer to this I guess in a couple weeks in any event :huh2:

al

• 4 weeks later...