Paint for Rosso Mandello

Guest lpedegana

I doubt it.... someone posted a link a while ago to an Italian firm that supposedly supplied MG's paint, but we never heard anything else. I suspect trying to track it down would be a real bear.

But, most good paint shops should be able to scan and mix a close enough color. That's what many have done when they have had various colors matched.

I also just went to my local "Kragen" and picked up about a half dozen of "close" touch-up colors, took them home, and tested them out for as close a match I could for my Champagne color :huh2: For touch-ups, this is probably what one would have to do. For a complete repaint, the scan and match method would be the choice.

BTW, if I ever repaint my entire bike, I'll find a common auto manufacturer color that is "close enough" so I won't have this match issue.

al

HI, Just my 2 cents, I also have a Rosso, and have asked the dealer what the paint code was, of course he said any good paint shop could match that no problem, somedays thats not the answer you want to hear.Al has the best advice so far, however I was bored one day and started on page 69 and worked backwards, on page 36 somebody opened a thread on this. He found a manufacter that supposedly has a paint code,but again if the manf. is no longer available it might be a moot point. Good Luck!

Guest v11jap

hi,

not sure with the paint from the rosso but i had a real problem to get the v11 green matched.. A friend of mine figured it out in the end. It's a bit of a complicated two layer system 2 grey layers and then 5 layers of the green followed by a clearcoat... even the $1000 magni fairing kits are just a bit of.. I will ask my friend if he can get his hands on the collorcode for the rosso

but just the correct paint is not enough you need an experienced painter with eye for detail!!

ciao

jap

Howdy,

I also have a Rosso Mandello and, after hitting a buzzard last year, I looked into getting some touch-up paint. What I learned is that a company in Italy named Lechler SpA (www.lechlet.it) made the original paint for the Rosso Mandello. I e-mailed them and inquired about availability of paint. They referred me to their North American distributor in Canada:

Peintures PMS

Quebec

507, Rue des Sables

G152Y1 (Quebec)

Tel: 418 529 0311

Fax: 418 529 3056

www.peintures-pms.com

I contacted these folks and they sent me a quote. The paint is not a simple proposition. There is a base coat, a color coat and a clear coat. They provided all the necessary info, but it was looking like I would have to spend something like many many hundreds of dollars to get a pints worth of the stuff. I learned to live with a few tiny nicks.

My next foray will be to the local cosmetics counter. There's got to be a glossy red nail polish that would match the color close enough for tiny touch-ups. If I find a good match, I'll post it.

All Best,

Corey in San Antonio

• 1 month later...

I'll chime in on this a little late. I wanted to put a Magni fairing on my Rosso and spent almost a year (!)(I'm a patient man) trying to get the factory paint OR a colormatch. After striking out with MGNA and Italy, I went local.

Almost every bodyshop in my town said "sure we can match anything because we have this wiz-bang scanner blah blah blah".

They lie.

It is a slilver metallic base with a thin red/orange over it. If you look closely at it, it is fairly uneven. It looks like every one may be a tiny bit different.

I had several shops scan my passenger seat cover and order up the paint. None of them was even remotely close enough for a part as big as a Magni fairing. I ordered two pints of House of Color metalics, no dice. I tried and tried and tried some more. I spent $$$. I was patient and understanding.

My Rosso now wears a black Magni. (Which looks damn cool)

BK

Kansas

Guest Wayne M

Hi Ipedegana,

I recommend R.S. Motorbike Paint in England. I am in the process of obtaining the green for my green V11 Sport from them. They seemd knowledeable regarding MG paints and were willing to provide a lot of information. Good luck.

www.motorbikepaint.co.uk/

Tel: 44(0) 1226 203608

Fax: 44(0) 1226 241126

email: info@rsbikepaint.co.uk

Wayne

I had my "Paul Minnaert Tailpiece" painted in the red of the '02 LM. My painter did a 99,5% match. As Willyz wrote, 3 layers: silver, transparent red, and clearcoat. But you need an experienced paintshop to get result.

This week I will receive my new fairing in the same red. Hopefully it comes out fine...

But forget about paintcodes. If you have the opportunity and cash, have the bike completely painted in an easily obtainable color.

I had my "Paul Minnaert Tailpiece" painted in the red of the '02 LM. My painter did a 99,5% match. As Willyz wrote, 3 layers: silver, transparent red, and clearcoat. But you need an experienced paintshop to get result.

This week I will receive my new fairing in the same red. Hopefully it comes out fine...

But forget about paintcodes. If you have the opportunity and cash, have the bike completely painted in an easily obtainable color.

AMEN brother :notworthy:

:D

My "champagne" color is a gray/silver undercoat with a thin coat of the gold-tone, with clear topcoat. As mentioned, an experienced shop can figure out and match these colors darned close. This is especially true of shops specializing in MC painting. There was no "code" or "scanner" at the MC paint shop that I had paint the black 2003 tank I retrofitted to my 02 LeMans, but in the end, their experience let them match the color almost exactly. I can't tell the difference.

But yes, if I ever repaint a significant portion of the bike, it will get repainted in my color of choice, but from well known and readily available batch/vendor, that also has touch up paint available.

...so probably something from GM, Ford, Diamler-Chrysler, Honda, etc.....

al

Guest Bruce

Wow, worse fears realized. None of this sounds cheap. Anyone care to comment on the cost for a good match on a fairing? I can see where selecting a compatible color might be a better choice than trying to match the original.

I know this is a late post, but I have been pondering potential for paint match of my Rosso as well...last evening, I saw an '03 Gold Wing in a color that turns out to be called "Candy Orange". It is a bit darker, but a very close match---looks like the right shade of color---just darker. I wouldn't be surprised if it would work for minor touch-ups and in the event of a complete repaint, it would likely turn out to be the real deal if sprayed over a very light silver or white bottom coat. And then if you were to get really cagey and shoot some silver pearl over the top, no one would know the difference anyway. My adonized (sp) parts don't really match the paint anyway, so unless you had another Rosso with original paint sitting next to it, who'd know? :whistle: k