Scura Clutch Disintegrates!

roberto

and the speedo hasn't worked properly since the gearbox replacement

I know this is the least of your problems right now, but when I picked up my '00 V11 sport from the transmission recall, the speedo didn't work. Everything in the chain worked independently but not together. Turns out the angled speedo drive that attaches to the transmission was somehow pryed slightly apart, making it impossible for the drive pin from the trans to reach the slot at the top of the drive which turns the cable. I pressed the metal sleeve back into the plastic housing and now it works fine. Took me a week to figure that out.

Ed Mason

'00 V11 Sport

'83 1000SP

I remember a discussion that seemed to indicate that the internal transmission speedo gear ratios were different for the 2002 and earlier bikes, and the 2003 and later bikes.

It seemed that if one tried to mix an angle-drive with one of the "smooth" finish 2003+ transmissions, your speedo would be "off".... at best :unsure:

One apparently must use the newer 90-degree bent metal speedo cable housing as delivered on the 2003+ bikes with that transmission.

At least that's what I recall hearing :huh2:

al

One apparently must use the newer 90-degree bent metal speedo cable housing as delivered on the 2003+ bikes with that transmission

This one's news to me! When I said my speedo doesn't work, it still "works" but seems to indicate my speed in kph! I disconnected it beacause I do have a tendency to exceed 140kph and I don't want the needle falling off :huh: This is why I'm never sure at what milage this or that happened :D

..naw, it's just that his 2003 transmission speedo drive is the wrong ratio when used with the 2002 drive that he has from before his tranny swap.... such that it is overdriving his speedo.

He needs the 2003+ cable without the angle drive.

al

Having just covered 1000 kms on my Scura (#580) the future doesn't seem too bright, unfortunately :doh:

The only hick-ups I have noted so far is the distinguished rattle when the engine is iddling. Furthermore, my Scura is not to happy when driving in the city; it seems like a fuel injection problem. On three occassions the engine has let me down when stopping for a red light downtown Copenhagen.

Normal behaviour for a Guzzi or shall I raise hell at the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Søren Tikkanen, Denmark

Well, it depends on one's definition of "normal" I would guess ^_^

It is "common" normal behavior for new(tight engined) and poorly tuned Guzzis to exhibit this behavior, but it is not the 'correct' normal behavior ;)

I would suggest you check the following, in order of simplicity:

- Remove or double-check the orientation of the Tip Over Valve(see FAQ)

- Throttle Body Balance

- Valve Lash (If a new bike, and if heat sensitive, loosen from OEM spec to something like Raceco Specs)

- Fuel/Air Map in ECU checked by dealer

....and last, but least likely, if none of these solve your problem, you could be having intermittent vapor lock issues(see FAQ). But I suspect this is unlikely.

I suspect it is the second and third issues above, in combination with a tight new engine making smooth idling once hot difficult to maintain. In the long run, this shouldn't be a problem.

And BTW, the rattling of the clutch on your Scura is normal. That clutch rattles that way normally, and isn't necessarily a sign of any trouble. There are several threads on this.

Good luck! :bike:

al

Thanks Al, all info is highly appreciated!

:bier:

Having just covered 1000 kms on my Scura (#580) the future doesn't seem too bright, unfortunately :doh:

I suppose we'll all now be listening out for any increase/change of noise from the gearbox direction on these bikes, but if there is a definite problem with the clutch, surely there would be more horror stories by now?

I recently passed the 1,000 mile mark. No problems with idle or stopping in traffic. Do you have tighter emissions controls in Denmark and tighter valve/rocker settings as a result? This does seem to be a regular complaint with the American set-up, which is cured by going to the more 'normal' wider gaps or even wider Raceco settings. It would be a good starting point anyway.

if there is a definite problem with the clutch, surely there would be more horror stories by now?

there are 800 scura's? I know of tree with problems, is almost 0.5 %, but I'm shure I don't know all problems there are.

Guest John T

Don't forget the 600 Rosso Mandellos and how many Tennis are out there?. Plenty of single plate clutch Guzzis around. (spine frame that is)

Also, was the flywheel ever taken off these troubled bikes? I would think not using a torque wrench on the aluminum flywheel would be asking for trouble. impact guns are used way too much by poor wrenches. :luigi:

Guest John T

If that's improved, I'll stick with my crappy old one!!!

Almost 10.000 hard miles and not exploded yet!!

(oh boy am I tempting fate or what)

(and I don't think they are different)

• 3 weeks later...