Gears

windchill

Guest Dave Pott

Well, so far I've not had any of those signs of trouble :) (hope i'm not jinxing) :unsure:

Yesterday I took a route from my ususal one hour commute home... a three hour detour up through Sequoia National Park. I banged a lot of gears up to 7,000 ft elevation and down again(a loop ride) and the only false neutral was due to poor shifting technique :homer: Well hey, come on, my toe were almost frost bit :whistle:

I'm tempted to ask Meredith at MGNA if they would cover a preemptive strike on that shifter arm and pawl spring. Almost like a recall, if you will. :mg:

I'll let the forum know what they say...that is if they respond :huh2:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i have been experiancing guzzi paranoia since gearbox posts are becoming more prevelent. My 2003 lemans has 2,500 miles on it now. Since new I have found that if I dont fully remove foot so that lever can fully return it wont take the next shift. and reecently I've had a couple of crunchy down shifts. Whilst in traffic so not driving it through the box, giving it a good blip.

So i'm concentrating on my gearchanges and hopeing for the best.

But I will be getting the extra RAC cover for the Holland meet , over the guzzi scheme that came with the bike. If it takes weeks for a part how will you have to wait for a tow truck?

So far so good for me on my 2002 LeMans(bought new in 8/2003). Nearing 8000 miles. I do n otice that upshifts into 3rd are often a bit notchy(since new) but sometimes they are smooth as silk. Around the 1000 mile mark the shift lever did not want to release from first gear after a pretty abrupt stop. I had to partially release and then squeeze the clucth lever and the shift lever popped out. Never a problem since then. I hope I got a good one :D

A lot of these failures seem to happen early on in the bike's life and then repeat...any folks with gearbox spring problems which did not occur until later in the bikes life?

All this gearbox failuirew chatter just leads me to believe that since the Lemans is my only bike I REALLY need to get a second bike as a backup :bike::mg: