Gears

windchill

Now mine has broken

Belfastguzzi - you going to do gbox yourself? I'll be interested to see what you think... pm me if you're stuck for the bits.

The new "improved" springs that I've seen looked no different to the original spring.

The oversize boss certainly causes the spring to become coilbound, whereas the 15mm boss does not.

All the springs I have heard about broke at the sharp 90degree bend. It would be possible to engineer a location for the bottom end of the spring which did away with that bend. eg: a pin on the shift plate.

Sweep, I would like to talk with the mechanic who has worked on your bike. If you don't object could you give me a name & telephone no. pm me if you like.

Guzzi are aware there is a problem with this spring, but I'm not sure if they know what it is.

KB :sun:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was thinking of going to see the final race day of North West 200 on Saturday, but instead I think I'll be opening the gearbox.

I'll see if dealer (OYB) can supply parts under warranty and send them over. But are they in stock?

If pawl boss is oversize I'll probably try grinding it down.

What a disappointment – now I'll be listening out for that dodgy clutch!

At least I hadn't put new oil in :lol: .

I've been trying to get out for gearbox oil and do the first change.

I'll see if dealer (OYB) can supply parts under warranty and send them over. But are they in stock?

If pawl boss is oversize I'll probably try grinding it down.

Belfastguzzi, I had my bike off OYB. Corsa Italiana have been very helpful with warranty stuff, & are aware of this problem. I have bits you can have if you get stuck, pm me. Twiggers also have bits in stock.

KB :sun:

Will any dealer help with warranty issues – even if you didn't get the bike there?

I'm looking through the posts to see your various instructions & part numbers.

J.O'S has just offered to send a spring – fantastic.

If this problem is restricted to a particular age group of bikes, it surely must be a parts batch problem? It will be most interesting to see what the diameter of the boss is. Measurements from other bikes that haven't had the problem would be good to get (somehow).

The dealer has also agreed to replace the swing arm/footpeg castings with red anodised ones as the original gunmetal grey paint was not keyed properly. Even the slightest stonechip/boot rub caused flaking. The paint could be chipped away with a finger nail.

Two weeks to back on the road!

I hate to pop your bubble :o but the Red Anodised porkchops are really painted. :angry: The anodised red color can chip also.

Mike

Guest jerroldt

Just when I thought that the problems with the O3's were corrected! As for the purist on another post, I guess that the broken spring would give him his wish:

one gear!

Just when I thought that the problems with the O3's were corrected! As for the purist on another post, I guess that the broken spring would give him his wish:

one gear!

...ahem, the one gear idea was inspired by the broken spring situation.

Not so much a wish, more like evolution, in Guzzi World. ;)

Guest jerroldt

Belfastguzzi:

I guess that what I was trying to say is that Moto Guzzi has had years to clean up some problems. When I was riding my new 1977 850 T3, shifter springs broke all the time. One company came out with a kit consisting of clock-like external springs to center the shift lever and also with instructions to disable the internal spring. I bought one. I ran the Guzzi for another 5 years with this setup and as far as I know, it is still runniing happily. You would think that after 26 years, Guzzi would have fixed this problem.

So much for evolution! Also, my posts need to be taken in context since I have been riding anything with a wheel since 1956. I guess that this really dates me.

Regards, Jerry

Guest WildJackal

My Sport has 3000 miles and I experience periods of terrible shifting. It's never been a great shifter, but every once in a while I start missing every gear. The next time I ride everything is fine.

Is this a preview to a solid failure?

My Sport has 3000 miles and I experience periods of terrible shifting.  It's never been a great shifter, but every once in a while I start missing every gear.  The next time I ride everything is fine. 

Is this a  preview to a solid failure?

Not sure what "solid failure" means, but from day one, my Ballabio shifted well ... err ... most of the time.

I qualify that a bit because 1) I had shifted (NPI!) from a Cali, and anything would have felt snick, snick, snick compared to my (still beloved) EV; 2) I rarely actually missed a gear in the sense of 1, 2, REV LIMITER!, oops, 3, etc., but it happened; & 3) I did encounter an occasional problem (which I attributed to newer, much stiffer boots) when I was momentarily unable to upshift because the next cog did not drop (or whatever it is those things do!).

The last was what I now think was the "sign" of impending pawl spring/boss failure. The boots may have aggravated things by making it necessary for me to force my toe down a bit after up shifting into 2, but, after reading the various posts and explanations of the cause of this phenomenon here, the spring was likely on its way to death when that happened. Just wish I hadn't been $500 miles (& $500+) away from home when it happened. :huh2:

Bill

Guest Dave Pott

OH NOOO :o

The pawl spring failed on Bill Hagens "04 BALLABIO??? Damn :bbblll:

Hey Bill, will your mechanic check out he Boss diameter on the shifter arm to see if that is the problem?? Please let us know.

Just over 5,000 miles on my Ballabio :( I suppose i should'nt go too far from home :huh2:

I have been riding anything with a wheel since 1956. I guess that this really dates me.

Haa, depends whether the 1956 wheeled thing was a motorbike or a pram. :D

If it was a pram, then you're in good company. :bier:

OH NOOO :o

The pawl spring failed on Bill Hagens "04 BALLABIO??? Damn :bbblll:

Hey Bill, will your mechanic check out he Boss diameter on the shifter arm to see if that is the problem??    Please let us know.

Just over 5,000 miles on my Ballabio :(  I suppose i should'nt go too far from home :huh2:

You are racking up the miles.

But, yes, if I knew then what I know now, I might not have gone out of my AAA 100-mile towing range. Nah, on second thought, I wouldn't trade those Missouri and Arkansas Ozark miles of last week for anything. I sure would have paid $550 (as I did for the U-Haul!) for that ride. :mg:

I will say, tho, as my previous post or two mentioned, that I think I had warnings, but didn't recognize them. If you get one of those "Rats. Where did 3d gear go" sort of feelings as you upshift, get ready for pain and stay in range.

I'm going by dealer tomorrow to see if this is a glacial-epoch wait or a "not to worry; we'll have you on road soon" sort of things. Don't want them to rush if there are unresolved issues about spring, boss size, etc., but I am eager to ride the beast again. They are a good dealership, and I faxed the forum threads to them, which they read and will pursue with MGNA (FWTW!).

I'll post here as soon as I hear something meaningful.

Bill

I think I had warnings, but did didn't recognize them.  If you get one of those "Rats.  Where did 3d gear go" sort of feelings as you upshift, get ready for pain and stay in range.

I think it's safe to say that my changes were not as smooth as they used to be, so maybe you're right, there are signs before the spring goes.

I see Martin B is reporting more difficult changes, so we'll see... Obviously I hope it's just big boots in his case.

I plan to open the gearbox tomorrow – it will be interesting to measure that pawl boss diameter.