Any ideas?

Mal

Hi all

just got back from Scotland on old reliable Mk 5 le Mans on the second attempt after the V11 had to be towed back (well trailer really) after only making it half way.

Not sure if anybody has any ideas on this but what happened was an instant engine cut out from 90mph, I coasted to a stop and all electrics worked including starter,which was turned over a lot in various vain attempts to start the beast but no go, I swapped and replaced relays (had a spare one), checked for fuel - plenty and it was pumping fine (I got petrol soaked hands when checking as proof), the spark was a little weak, checked fuses...anyhow to cut a long story short I disconnected the battery and then thought what the hell I'll just try disconnecting the PC111, when it was all bolted together it started straight away, funny I thought but loaded my luggage and set off. Pulled into petrol station 20 miles further on and the battery was as flat as a pancake, had to get a trailer home.

I've since charged the battery and there is no charge when it is running, the voltage across the battery is about 11.8 volts, I checked the alternator at the 2 yellow wires before it gets to the reg/rec and that seems fine which points to the reg/rec but how would this effect the PC111 ?

any ideas?

Mal :helmet:

PS I still love the bastard

No regulator, no charge. No charge, voltage falls. Voltage falls, electronics quit. All electronics, PC3's included. I had a 2.7 mile push down a road to a phone when my regulator failed.

There are times when OEM equipment is best left to gather dust. You might want to consider the Electrex USA regulator, which, at least in the USA, is a whole lot less expensive then the Ducati Electronica reliability challenged piece of hardware. There. Wasn't I polite phrasing that?

Electrex USA

RR51 for Moto Guzzi's

Could also be a flakey battery,

strange problem often occures when the acku is about to give up.

In Europe Bosch parts are high quality at decent prices,

sorry no part number but your local car electric shop should

be able to help you out.

Oh the shame but good news (nothing to do with the Guzzi), yahoo my baby's back :wub:

Ok its all sorted now, the original breakdown was a very rare power commander fault (which has been confirmed by Hobbsport who fitted it), the, ahem, charging problem was my fault, in swapping the relays around I took out the 5 pin relay and replaced it with a 4 pin....ooops :blush: which stopped it charging, once back in the correct place it charges healthily, I think I've learned a lesson here.

Anyhow, I now have my bike back on the road - but temporarily without a PC, that is being investigated but they admitted its the first PC111 usb they've seen go wrong, can't wait for them to fit a new one as the power is definately down without it.

There you go, you can all sleep soundly at night now that this is cleared.

cheers

Guest rotorhead

Oh ain't that just grand...........I have EXACTLY the same problem minus the charging issue. Happened to me twice yesterday on the freeway coming back from the AMA races at Barbers. Doing 90 MPH and Baaaaaaaaaaa....dead. No warning, no nothing. Electrics are good i.e. idiot lights come on and starter motor will turn. I coast to a stop, turn key off then turn key on and away she goes, no problem. Twenty miles later she does it again.

It's Killin' me!! :angry:

I have a PCIII, non USB, I have removed all carbon canister hardware, tank is vented to atmosphere, fuel filter and pump are insulated against heat although I don't think this is a heat/vapor lock/tank suck problem.

I have solicited the thoughts on this problem from those reading this website and am doing so again. You guys are always a ton of help.

Is it possible that the PCIII is causing this angst??? :huh2:

Mal, what did you do to get a new PCIII?

Signed,

Desperate In Georgia

I've also read the electric petcock may act like this. check the wires going into it as they are rather fragile.

Guest rotorhead

Indeed, I have disconnected the PCIII and will attempt at least a one hundred mile ride tommorrow (weather permitting) to see if there are any anomolies. I will post the results. Thanks for Texas logic <_<

I removed the electric petcock some time ago hoping that might be the problem but no good I'm afraid. I remember reading somewhere in a past post about the kill switch mechanism causing a problem of some sort but I don't recall the exact situation....anyhow, this seems to be something else altogether.

Funny thing is there is absolutly NO waring what so ever....no power falling off, no spitting and sputtering, nothing at all, just Baaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Anybody know what the warranty is on a PC unit? I've had it about a year and a half now. The website does'nt say anything concerning that.

Anyway, thanks for the assist.

sorry for the delay in replying rotorhead et al, I'm away quite a lot at the moment and don't get to look in as often as usual.

I have not yet got a new PC111, the shop I bought it from (Hobbsport in Yorkshire)is in the process of getting a new one although they said it may take a little while and they may need to get the bike in again for some tests but in the mean time I'm just running without one, not ideal but it doesn't seem to be running too weak. Hobbsport who supplied and fitted the PC111 are confident a new one will be on its way soon but they did stress its the first they've seen fail.

I hope your problem is resolved soon.I'll keep you posted on progress.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rotorhead

Update..........Over four hundred miles later with the PCIII disconnected and not a wimper from the old steed. Me thinks the PC is indeed causing the problem and is bad. Who woulda' thunk :wacko:

Since I have had this problem for well over a year now and have taken the machine to the dealer several times thinking that there was something wrong with it only to have nothing found, I can only presume that the PC was bad either when new or shortly afterward.

Anybody ever have any success getting these things replaced outta warranty? DynoJet only gives 12 months on them and for 260 bucks I may not get another at all and just enjoy it like it is. :bike:

For you all!!! You should have listen to me about the PCIII :angry:

....wow, it sure is a good thing you are getting your bike back in a day or so :lol:

;)

But I think the failure rate on the PCIII is pretty low actually. And keep in mind that several of us(including yours truly) have had the stock ECU fail as well without warning :huh2:

They are just electronics after all, produced to a price point(i.e. not Mil Spec), and are subject to the harsh environment a MC presents.

Back "on topic"... sorry to hear about the PCIII dying, but then again I'm also glad to hear you've identified the problem... which is the real victory. Mystery intermittent gremlins are just the worst.

If you have any issues with Dynojet waranteeing the PCIII, drop Todd Eagan at Guzzitech a line. If anyone can get it taken care of, he can, as he deals with Dynojet on behalf of the MG community almost exclusively, and has a very good relationship with them.

...but my experience with Dynojet has been good. They upgraded my firmware on a second-hand PCIII for free last year before I bought the new USB version :thumbsup:

al

Perhaps you just to hook it up to the computer, zero throttle position out and reload your map.

If that does not work, post about the possibility of firmware fixing the problem on www.guzzitech.com 's forum.

Todd Eagan would be sure to see your post there.