Sewer Pipe Ram Air

Guest tmartin

Cross posting this here as the 'Why I prefer paper filters' thread and this one are both becoming focused on modified airboxes. Here's the pic of mine with inlets belled out to 50mm I/D and 3 x 25 holes in the rear of the lid to negate a disruptive harmonic that occurs there.

p9190200hg6.th.jpg ]Airbox[/url]

See the other thread for Phil A's information on the power gains from the various modifications.

Graham

• 4 years later...

I used PVC because the inside diameter was a perfect fit on the air box. Also the bend in the PVC was a good fit with the tank/frame, etc.. I feel that the stock air box volume may be tuned for mid-range power as many are on other brands. Removing the air box or drilling holes would cancel this effect. I have no hard data on a Guzzi to back this up but the theory is solid. The PVC is long enough to have the opening below the tank (unlike then stock snorkels) and I cut the angle, on the end of the pipe, to “scoop” air from in front of the cylinder heads. I posted a picture but I hasn’t showed up yet.

Reactivating old post - but does anyone know if cooler air funnelled thru extended, coned-shaped intakes actually had an effect? Is Tracy around to comment?

Improving on this particular mod is what I'm trying to get more info on. Anyone given it a shot & have any seat-of-yer-pants results to report?

Why would the (seemingly more usual) bell-mouthing of the stock intakes work, when combined with drilling holes in lid? Seems counter-intuitive...

...Improving on this particular mod is what I'm trying to get more info on. Anyone given it a shot & have any seat-of-yer-pants results to report?...

Can I recommend to you the work currently being undertaken by the visionary engineering genius Enzo Temko on his blisteringly fast Donkey Dong Special. His reports are elsewhere on this forum, & most of it is straight from the seat of his pants.

KB :sun:

Baldini

You know I'm keeping an eye on, er, Captain Nemo's donkey dong, but just because it can be done - does'nt mean it should! burrolast.jpg

Getting back to this former mod though, I'm accepting Moto Guzzi designed the airbox as is with forward facing intakes for a reason - so why should'nt scooping more (cool) air into their airbox not work? I accept true 'ram-air' effect may not be acheived under 100mph or so, but surely, bigger scoops, scooping more air into the box does makes sense now!

Why has'nt this pvc mod, or as suggested radiator hose alternative, simply not been adopted or at least tried by more riders?

Drilling 3 holes in the lid, or taking off altogether, may be less fiddly option to creating gains - but is it REALLY the BEST, or just acceptd as such?