A new V11 owner seeking advice...

JohnnyV

Hello Everybody!

I just purchased a new V11Naked and have driven 850 km with it. Nice bike and surprisingly agile for such a big-bore machine! I'm really happy with my purchase! :P However, few questions from a novice to you:

1st: I would like to install round and rather small carbon mufflers, Mistral seems to do ones. Mufflers should give more ground clearance than the original ones, but I still want to save some footspace for my pillion riding wife! She is nice!! :wub: Have you experiences on Mistral's round carbon mufflers, can I buy Mistral mufflers and shorter footrest hangers (are they needed?) from Net? I live in Finland and selection of this kind of stuff here in the North is rather limited... :( 5 million people in a country size of Germany, and its not a surpraise that I have seen only three V11s during last three years!

2nd: RossoMandello's small fairing (I guess it is of carbon?) would be fine. Is there other similar fairings available from other manufacturers? Guzzi's quarter fairing (for example in Cafe Sport model) does not look as nice at all. Can I purchase Stucchi fairing from the Net, or is the official importer offering Cafe Racer's fairing the only choice? The fairing shouldn't be attached to the forks, but to lamp 'holders'.

3rd: Stucchi hugger was damn fine, too! Original hugger looks clumsy and doesn't even protect shock well. Again: somewhere from the Net?

4th: I'd like to have a little more power in my bike. Those Mistral mufflers would certainly help, but is the remapping of fuel injection a requisite, too? Is PowerCommander and (expensive?) dynoing the only way to go, or can I just bolt the Mistrals on and enjoy the sound? :lol:

5th: I'd like to replace the original air filter with a free-flow one. In many pictures of this site I have seen (violet) air filters attached straight to the air suction ports. I guess the owners of these bikes have removed the original air filter and routed the new filters shorter way. Who manufactures these filters? Can I bought ones from the Net? At least now I'd need that dynoing, wouldn't I?

6th: How about those illegaly desirable Dymag wheels? :D How much (in what ever currency...) and from where? I haven't slept since I saw a picture of those! I'm ready to eat porrige and drink water for 6 months and save money if I only get a pair of Dymags for my bike! how much lighter are those when compared to standard wheels?

7th: Idle is painfully low even when the motor is warm. In the manual they show screws in the throttle bodies to adjust the idle. Is the adjustment of the idle really that simple, or is there some other gigs to do with the fuel injection. Manual tells about vacuum gauges - where the hell can I purchase those and are they a requisite? This may be a stupid question for hard-core guzzisti, but forgive me 'cause this is my first bike with EFI!

The only disappoinmet of V11 has so far been the low quality of electrical work. Italian electricity and water doesn't match... All connections are visible and vulnerable for mud and moisture. I guess I have much of taping to do next weekend to protect all those electrics... I ride my bike from March to October, 10-20 000 km per year, and here in Finland that really means something else than for example there in the USA. Last year I got some bruising from alphalt because there was so much of show on the road! :doh: Fortunately, my Suzuki was in better condition than I was!

Crude conditions force you to keep your bike in good condition! MG V11 seems to be a good and solid bike for countryside adventures and for long distance commuting! MG is the best bike I have ever ridden, and it has such a soul that is missing from many other bikes! :D

Safe riding for everybody! And be careful with the deers! Damn raindeers are always there where they shouldn't be. But of course I understand that the raindeers are interested in my MG. Who wouldn't!? :mg:

Tervetuloa Johnny,

Mars->October guess you live in southern Finland.

I'll try to answer some of the Qs.

1. For Mistrals try Duilio Agostini,

nice guys, english is OK.

2&3. TLM is another source of most things

for your Guzzi on the net

4. My powercommande cost me 4500 SEK, about 500 euros,

mapping in dynobench will be around 2500 SEK / 270 euro

to get the full value of your performance mods mapping is the way to go,

also you don't want to run lean (= hot) which is always a risk when opening the

air/exhaust flow. There are some map for different configs available on the net

but every engine is a little different so mapping is better.

You also get a fun day at a motor tuner and cool charts to post on the internet.

5. K&N. I use the model RC-1200 which is

a conical filter with no intake runner. Others on the forum prefer another model with

runner and straight form.

6. Dymag no longer make Guzzi wheels, shaft drive was too special for the

small market. Your options are PVM and OZ from Brian&Ghezzi AFAIK.

7 Yes, do it, it is simple. The idle should be at a litte over 1000 rpm.

Guest seanc

interested in the K&N too... could you please let me know details on this? Is the r1200 a direct replacement, no issues? Did it help a lot?

Thanks in advance!

sean

interested in the K&N too... could you please let me know details on this? Is the r1200 a direct replacement, no issues? Did it help a lot?

RC-1200:s helps the aural experience :sun:

subjectively the engine felt a bit more responsive after the

removal of the airbox, but I think unrestricting the flow on the

exhaust side too is necessary to make a real difference.

Tack ska du ha, Göran!

I can see what my mates told me - as a MG rider you are never alone with your problems! :bier:

So I'll book time for dynoing. Have to purchase those mufflers and filters first.

Yes, I live in southern Finland, but two nights ago the temperature was still under zero!

• 3 years later...

I like the buell one the best, also the shape seems like it was MADE for the V11 dash, installs perfectly and the hardware from buell mates up perfect too, total effort to get this installed 1 socket wrench, one allen wrench + 15min :luigi:

DSC_3006.jpg

I like the buell one the best, also the shape seems like it was MADE for the V11 dash, installs perfectly and the hardware from buell mates up perfect too, total effort to get this installed 1 socket wrench, one allen wrench + 15min :luigi:

You wouldn't happen to know the part number for that carbon fiber Buell fairing right off hand, would you? The Harley store guys here are jerks and won't even speak to me without it.