Rear Brake

Guest Brian Robson

Guest Brian Robson

I know that every problem seems to produce several answers, and I am reluctant to say that there is a definitive solution, but this worked for me on my bike.

I had the rear brake noise when reversing the bike in the drive and at times coming to a halt when riding.

I removed the pads and put a chamfer on the edges; I ensured the hose was not kinked and that the lever was returning freely; I cleaned the pistons and the disc and ensured that the disc was not warped.

I replaced the rear wheel bearings with the tyre at 36,000 Km, and as a benefit didn't hear the "groan", but assumed it was the other solutions that had caused the improvement.

The noise then came back with a vengance, and it coincided with me noticing that the rear wheel bearings were gone after only 7,000 Km. When I replaced the bearings I couldn't get the hub spacer to seat, so I removed a bearing and placed in a washer of about 1mm thickness, replaced the bearing and the play was gone. The bearings still moved smoothly and sat flush in the hub.

I think that the gap caused the inner race of the bearing to move when the axle nut was tightened, then allow it to move in a slightly eliptical mode and in turn allowing the disc to hit the pads and hence the noise. Noticeably the ride has gotten smoother and of course the bearings now move in a flat plane.

Like I say this worked for me and may give some relief to a few others. :luigi::luigi:

My buddy Lester with his '02 Lemans had the rear wheel bearings go at 1,000kms. He found that the spacer in question was and incorrect width, causing the questionable [made in Poland] bearings to be loaded on the outside of the races, rather at the center, which caused groaning, clicking, and other noises associated with metal in distress.

Knock on wood, with 24,000kms on my v11, the bearings still seem to be ok, the groan eliminated at 4,000kms by the forced installation of EBC brake pads [the original were all done at 4k].

Ciao, Steve G.

I had 2 brake side r wheel bearings go in quick succession early on. I discovered bearing spacer to be about 1mm too short causing inner race to be forced inboard when axle nut was torqued up, setting it off re the outer & wiping out the balls/cage. There's a thread on this.

I made up a spacer, but in time I did receive a warranty part from Guzzi - sure enough it was 1 mm longer than original.

Anyone who has brake side r wheel bearing fail prematurely should check spacer length.

Al, could you do a FAQ on this?

KB :sun:

(I also noticed at the time the brake noise went...it's there again on & off now tho :rolleyes: I'll try the EBC's...)

does anyone know the correct length of the spacer

Al,

I don't remember length of spacer I made up but this warranty one Guzzi sent me is 113.2 mm in length. Seems about right, as I recall the original was a little over 1mm shorter than the distance between bearings & that one measured 112.2mm. Not much difference...but enough to knock out bearing when side loaded by torquing axle nut.

Seems to take out the brake side bearing.

If replacing bearings, it would be worth checking the distance between bearing faces on that particular wheel, & not assume that the bearing housings in all hubs are machined to the same depth... :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: KB

Is it just coincidence in this thread, or is this another problem that is particularly associated with 2002 bikes?