3 oil leaks

Guest harley

Guest harley

I just returned from a 1500 mile high speed tour of western Colorado arriving home with 6200 miles on my 2001 V11 sport and three oil leaks.

Since I first bought the bike with 3000 miles on it there has been an oil leak at the rear bevel drive. GL5 is thrown onto the rear wheel from between the wheel hub and the bevel drive housing. At 4000 miles the dealer pulled the rear wheel and replaced the large oil seal that is visable when you look at the face of the drive. I have complained to the dealer that I still have a leak and was told that the oil was blowing out of the vent because the drive was overfull. This is not the case. The drive is not overfull and the oil is not coming from the vent it is coming from between the wheel hub and the drive housing. This weekend I am going to pull the rear bevel drive apart and hope to hear from someone who could shed some light on my problem as it seems to me that the seal the dealer replaced has to be the culprit (the breather is not plugged).

Secondly, I have developed a leak at the lower front of the engine which seems to be at the junction of the oil cooler lines. I seem to recall a discussion of a problem with these lines. Has Moto Guzzi changed their design?

Lastly, oil appears to be leaking in front of the fuel tank by the steering head. I can see the oil breather line junction on top of the frame and it is clean. Any ideas before I pull the fuel tank?

Thanks, Harley

Lastly, oil appears to be leaking in front of the fuel tank by the steering head. I can see the oil breather line junction on top of the frame and it is clean. Any ideas before I pull the fuel tank?

I can't really address the other two, but this tube at the top of the frame is a vent- and it really does vent- I crimped mine one time behind the starter :doh: About a week later- hot day- I was doing some spirited riding, just entering a corner and -BOOM- it blew off the rubber line. After cleaning myself up (not from oil :lol: ), I figured it out. I would follow that line to see if it split or broke- and there's another line on the side of the frame-check that as well. They are both easy to get to once the tank is off.

J

this tube at the top of the frame is a vent- and it really does vent- I crimped mine one time behind the starter

Does it not vent into the air box? I'm not sure, the bike isn't here to look at. Maybe you don't have the airbox anymore.

You will find vented oil in the airbox and I think it is from this top line.

Anyway, re oil leaks up front, while it is better to disassemble and fix things properly, it's maybe worth saying that I have found external repair using sealant over a major leak has worked 100%. This was the timing case leak problem common on the wrinkly 2002s, but it should work elsewhere too.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=17921

When covered with black stuff it's not noticeable.

My rear wheel has gotten spattered more lately. I thought it was the spline grease spinning out through the cush drive . . .

I guess it's time for a minor tear down to inspect . . . :luigi::luigi::luigi:

Docc

I have the same rear wheel splatter on my 2001 v11... I've taken it round to the dealer, and his first thought was grease from the splines.. He said that there are two seals.. one is an easy replace, the other is more time consuming...

He will look at it the next time I bring the bike in.. probably replace the easy one first and see if it fixes the problem.

Regards, Tim

Here's a photo of the weepage... ( is that even a word ??)

This section was clean prior to the start of track day, and I put about 100 miles on it during the 4 sessions...

hey I'm still laughing from the Lucky Charms crack...

Ya. this showed up after the 1000 mile service and I know they greased it all.. The service rep said that if it was oil you'd see pools of it, whereas grease will fling out onto the rim and stay there..

btw.. just saw your V11 in the gallery.. sweet.. that ain't no Solex.

I got tired of the crap slinging out onto the rim. Plus some Triumph guy said something like , " i thought they had shafts to stop that kind of thing!"

Pulled the rear wheel, took off the plate that holds the cush drive ( 6 bolts) and cleaned out all the old grease that had flung in there from the splines ( it was a mess).

74 miles at 80-95 mph tonight and no 'weepage.'

( yes, that photo shows where the grease comes out when the cush drive is overloaded with grease. it needs to be lubed but not sloppy.)

Does it not vent into the air box? I'm not sure, the bike isn't here to look at. Maybe you don't have the airbox anymore.

Yeah, now that you mention it- probably does vent into the airbox on stock bikes. You're correct in that I took out my airbox and run K&Ns.

Guest Brian Robson

Re the rear wheel "flingage" (new word). Greased the splines, then rode up the canyon, wary of police at 60-80mph...wheel clean. Rode the Spences Bridge road, hitting up 120mph...lots of flingage...washed it off..no more marks. I will use it as confirmation of speed..."Officer, I couldn't have been doing 100 mph, there is no flingage present!!".

Guest arbik

So I dont know if you got your question answered or not, but here are my thoughts on the issue.

The oil from the steering head is your engine oil. The engine crank case vents into the spine of the bike, which is the frame. Then, due to bad welds, it leaks down the steering head. Mine did that. Its not supposed to do it, as the welds are supposed to seal the "box" that the engine vents into.

The "stuff" on the wheel, if it in fact is grease, is a good sign, as long as its not TOO MUCH. Most shaft drives that are well greased do that, including BMWs.

The leak from the front, might be either the timing cover, or the hoses.

Make sure the hoses are tight.

I no longer own a Guzzi, but I sure do miss mine :(

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a green 2000-2001 V11 sport, out of warranty, let me know :)

hope this helps.

-arbi

HEY ARBI!!

We wondered what happened to you :huh:

...the last we heard, you had a Sport and new Ballabio for sale(due to MGNA hijinks), then that you had suffered a bad crash on one of the bikes :unsure:

We all wished you the best(on the forum) but never heard how you crashed, how you were, and were also a bit curious which bike was unfortunately wrecked.

Hope all is well.

al