200miles old

francesco

so 211 miles old, and some oil is already showing, not dripping but a long moisted vertical lines on the crankcase, where the engine number is. Sorry I don't have the digital camera this week, to show pics. How concernd should I be? The bike was sitting for at least for one year, losted keys, the dealer had someody made 2 clone keys. The bike had only 4 miles on when I got it, the dealer said that started right away.

Damn why I didn't take mechanical classes? :luigi:

you guys went through this in 18 october 2002 ( my bike is a 2002)

My LeMans is also leaking having com-pletely lost a significant piece of gasket. It would suggest that there has been a run of bad gaskets, don't you think. Dealer had a replacement overnighted from Guzzi and I should be up and running tomorrow.

how did it go?

There have been posts more recent than 2002 about this.

If it is from the front gasket, as your second post infers, then oil leak can be easily stopped by applying sealant from the outside, over the joint. I used blue instant gasket type sealer and then covered it with black silicone to match my black cases.

No point in pulling the front case off until you really need to.

Thank you belfastguzzi, I was reading your post of 11 feb 2004,

the search option is fantastic.

Before the instant gasket type sealer, did you clean the black case whit something

particular?

another thing like for JohnInNH and al_roethlisberger

I have the same leak that drop of tranny oil hangs above the x-pipe.

can I fix this with the same istant gasket solution?

Are both those leaks related to what Callison says:

The 2002 models had the black paint ON the sealing surfaces and bolt holes, shaft seal surfaces etc. This led to a lot of sealing problems. Later modes get those surfaces masked prior to painting at the factory. To do the repair proberly, the case paint on the gasket surface should be removed, then the gasket put on.

First leak: Sounds like your front leak is the timing cover gasket, which on the "fuzzy" engine paint models, is very typical. Mine "blew out" in the first few hundred miles as well.

While you can seal it as suggested by Belfastguzzi, many of the them(like mine) were actually torn and BLEW OUT the side and spewed oil all over the side of the engine. So, if you see any bit of the gasket protruding from the seal, I would say get it replaced.

Then when it's being done, make certain the mating surfaces are free of "fuzzy" paint before reassembly.

Second leak: Could be a number of things depending on where the leak is coming from :huh2: In my case, it was transmission rear seal was leaking, replaced under warrantee.

al

ok I don't know the terms in either language, so as soon I have my digital camera back i' ll post some pics, I'll buy the shop guide for the V11 as well in italian and english, I will need it often I know :luigi: I'll check for the warranty the only problem is that the only dealer is a 350 miles from where I'm...

you know what I knew this was going to happen and I don't care my Guzzi

she is so gorgeous, and she need some love, the sooner I learn how to fix her the better.

I though to check that,in the front cover there are some that how da hell you get to them? probably taking apart everything... <_>

anyway now i'm just going to wait for the shop manual and then let's start.

for the gearbox I checked all thight...an interesting thing is while on the front cover I see the timing cover gasket, on the gearbox I see a red paste instant gasket type sealer, what's up whit that?

good for her that she is so bella. :wub:

I need to build a freaking shop, tools and everything :homer: how much is gonna

cost :wacko:

so 4 bolt at the top front , the difficult to get to where loose, I managed to get to it and thighten it.

Could they get loose in those 211 miles at 5000 rmp max???

Or my dealer didn't give a damn to check the bike properly? <_>

I'm gonna clean my beauty and check it again.

I'm going to get good at this :luigi: , i like my hands dirty in grease...

o damn the keyboard is nasty now

Guest lostmonkey

i always like reading francesco's posts they seem to always get his problem fixed and he seems to answer himself half the time :D

good luck with that shop it could cost you hundereds of thousands or maybe only a couple hundered but the fun of doing the work is worth it

not to mention the women love the guy who has that petrol scent

Have you checked the cylinder head oil return line that is at the top of the block in the "V" between the cylinders? Sometimes that loosens and leaks . The oil will drop down around the serial number side of the block. :luigi:

First leak: Sounds like your front leak is the timing cover gasket, which on the "fuzzy" engine paint models, is very typical. Mine "blew out" in the first few hundred miles as well.

While you can seal it as suggested by Belfastguzzi, many of the them(like mine) were actually torn and BLEW OUT the side and spewed oil all over the side of the engine. So, if you see any bit of the gasket protruding from the seal, I would say get it replaced.

Second leak: Could be a number of things depending on where the leak is coming from :huh2: In my case, it was transmission rear seal was leaking, replaced under warrantee.

I believe my gasket is torn as well. It also blew out in a few hundred miles and leaked a large amount of oil. I could see a piece of gasket sticking out of the join, so I assume that it is torn as Al and others have reported.

The front cover is a bit difficult to get at as other things are in the way (Francesco has discovered this too), so I checked the tightness where I could and sealed the problem area. A new gasket is the proper fix of course.

So, it depends how enthusiastic you are feeling, Francesco.

I cleaned the area generally with white spirits (whatever cheap solent you have handy) and probably a paint brush and tooth brush

and then did the final clean with brake cleaner or similar, to get a dry, clean surface for the sealer.

As I said, it worked perfectly, with no more appearance of oil from the joint at all.

As far as your second leak is concerned, people have had difficulty tracking down where exactly a bit of wetness at the back of the motor comes from. I have taken the advice that if it is only very small, don't worry about it. The leak at the front, in contrast, was not very small – it was very big.