OT: RV in Washington state

Admin Jaap

Guest gooddog

jeez Jaap, d'ya need a ride from the airport? there are sweet routes from seatac to everett if you want the complete scene. definately everett to winthrop to the columbia to moses lake to spokane /coure d'laine area. gret for a big slow driving rv as well as a nimble cycle. you have to see the columbia into northern oregon(its breathtaking) i'd say from spokane south on 195 through pullman then 12 twards walla walla and on to 84 to portland. you'll get a good range of scenery and climate then on to oregon and nevada /utah. i think you should let us seattlites buy you a beer at least the first night you are in town.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on vacation myself from July 18th through the 31st. I live midway between San Francisco and the west gate of Yosemite, so if you want to spend a day or two or three here (after the 31st), let me know. Yellowstone is huge, the speed limit very slow and the traffic can be intense. It's worth it, but expect to take at least three days just to drive around it in an RV. It will be very frustrating too navigating around in an RV at that altitude. Too bad you won't have a bike along. Personally, I would skip Las Vegas in favor of other parks and sights such as Mt. St. Helens (awesome, fabulous bike ride. Ooops, sorry - no bike). While the only bike I have running currently is the pukey little V65C, I think that we can scrape up a few Guzzis or other bikes to take to Yosemite if you want. Perhaps we can convince Pat Hayes to lend you an EV (probably the same one used on the TV show "Friends"). If you don't want to ride Yosemite (it's a long, full day ride - speed limits are 35 mph), I have a Toyota Previa van or a Toyota Prius that we can go in. If we take the van, seven "Guzzisti" can make the trip as a moving party and/or in conjuction with riders on bikes. When do you think you'll be arriviing in the San Francisco region?

@ all: You've been very helpful, thanks! Only problem is with so many suggestions... where (not) to go?

We'll only be one night in Seattle after a 12 hr. flight; I'm guessing we'll be too tired to be good company. And the next morning we have to leave early for Everett to pick up the RV.

So a visit in and around Seattle will be a problem.

But everyone who wants to meet us along the way is invited!

My mobilphone# 0031-6-53896046

Guest dkgross

Jaap...give us a call if you want when you get to Seattle. We'll get rid of that jet lag for you ;)

206-779-1671 cell

• 1 month later...

Okay, tomorrow is the big day! At 11.00 AM GMT+1 we fly for Seattle. Ray (Gooddog) will pick us up from the airport and bring us to our hotel :thumbsup: Thanks!

We will arrive in Seattle around noon local time. We will see some sites the rest of the day. Next morning we will pick up the RV in Everett and head for the mountains.

Our cell phone if you want to give us a call (or perhaps meet us): +31 6 5389 6046

Thanks again for all the pointers. We sure appreciate it!

Anja and Jaap

I f you make it from Moab Utah, down to Bryce Canyon, you might want to go on south to Kanab City. That is the gate to Zion National Park (the crazy lady scene in Jeramiah Johnson was filmed there), which is a great place to visit http://www.nps.gov/zion/ You can also make the north rim of the grand canyon from there. You can head west from there to Hurricane city which will lead you into Nevada http://atlas.utah.gov/wildlife/viewer.htm Little known fact is that halfway between Kanab and Hurricane is Colorado City Utah/Arizona, which is the Mormon town of polygamists. Notice all the homes there are large 3 story with enough rooms for the 5 wives and the kids. If you go into town, they don't talk much but they stare a lot.

Know you'll have a great time, and post us some pics since not all of us get out west as much as we should.

I reread this thread and noticed I forgot to answer this question.

When do you think you'll be arriviing in the San Francisco region?

We fly from SF on August 12th. So we'll be in the neighbourhood a few days before that. Don't know exactly when. Carl, Al, I have both your #'s. I'll give you a call before we arrive. If I look at the itinerary my GF has made, we almost come through Modesto.

I like the Guzzisti-schoolbus idea too! :D

Guest dkgross

Al...Rae and I met up with Jaap and his lovely lady yesterday afternoon/evening for a little Seattle tour by convertible and a fun dinner overlooking the Sound. They were pretty fried from the flight, but we had a great time nonetheless! I'm thinkin' there going to have a GREAT vacation!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Finally got a chance to log in, busy schedule... We're in Moab Utah right now: :sun::pic::P: I want to thank Gooddog for the ride from the airport; too bad you had to work! And Dave and Rae Gross for their lovely tour of Seattle, with dinner included! Excellent!!! So much for now, got to check my emailboxes... probably 1000's of SPAM messages... :(

(Glad to see I didn't get a SQL-error)