Switching from the airbox to the pods

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

So tweeking the airbox sounds like a simple, cheaper, and instantly gratifying mod to do first on my 01 V11 sport (waiting on delivery). I've searched this topic but didn't find an explanation of "how to".

What are my options, and is this something I can do myself?

Gotta run, so can't write a tome this time :P

But first:

Forum Air Filter & Intake FAQ

All you have to do is remove the tank, take out the airbox, lash the air temp sensor to the frame of the bike(after removing it from the airbox, and lash it as close to the intakes as possible for a best reading), and extend the crankcase vent hose to vent under the bike. That's the removal of the airbox portion.

Then, buy the appropriate filters and clamp them onto the intake runners. That's it :luigi:

There's not really a "How To" as it really is a simple task, and if you have everything ready, should take about 30 minutes to an hour to complete.

Now, if you also have aftermarket exhausts/crossover, and you combine this new modification, you may have to adjust your map at the dealer or via a PCIII, as it will lean out.

Hope that helps. Do a search for "pods" and you'll get loads of results.

al

Get the FBF filter kit instead of the pods. It has better performance numbers and the airflow is smoother. It may be cheaper too.

Moto is correct! :thumbsup:

This is a quote from Todd Eagan (Guzzitech) This is for the Jackal, Stone, EV.

4. On the intake side of things... a modified airbox lid - see picture here - works as well in the low-to-mid then any seperate filters... No, it doesn't look as cool, but it's worth almost 5 hp/5 ft-lbs through the meat of the midrange over the stock airbox lid. Seperate filters? They finally caught the modded airbox near the rev-limiter, and did post a 1+ hp gain right before it popped the rev-limiter. *A noisy note: The "open-lid" airbox gives a near deafening honk at full throttle... as it probably tries to suck the paint off the bottom of the tank. It works, but don't say I didn't warn you. Cut away at the airbox lid, just simply leave the lower "rim" (with bolt holes) to hold the element down.

We were in search of the best street-able combo. That said... the picks are: modified airbox with K&N/BMC or Foam filter. Stock headers (unless you want to spend the ducats on the Stucchi X-over headers for bonus points at the next rally), H-pipe crossover, and a decent set of aftermarket mufflers.

I have modified my airbox top by taking it and running a pass through the band saw. :homer: Much more intake noise now, but the bike does run stronger.

Mike

Get the FBF filter kit instead of the pods. It has better performance numbers and the airflow is smoother. It may be cheaper too.

Perhaps true, I dunno.... although I will offer another point of view, from Mr. Ferracci himself who said he can get another few HP over his airbox lid by adding pods, but they were still working on it :huh2:

That's paraphrased from their article/ad in Moto Euro magazine a while back featuring a V11 Sport they hopped up for a customer to promote their go-fast parts.

To me though, it's more about the aural and visual aesthetics one prefers, and I bet the performance differences are pretty small.

I will however trumpet the advantages of cleaning up the airflow and space under the tank by removing the airbox :thumbsup: ...and although I haven't compared how "loud" the "honk" is with the lid removed, the pods aren't very loud at all IMHO.

Just do what you think looks and sounds cool, and you won't really lose anything to the other solution.

al

I stand by my post. No offense, Al, but in your quest for perfection you seem to analyze things to the point where you can't make up your mind. :nerd:

God bless you for it, but pods do increase air turbulence and appear to make for a rougher running bike. Judging by Enzo's bike of course, he's had two brands of pods and riding his bike is like riding a sledgehammer. Of course, this may not all be due to the pods. :D

I stand by my post. No offense, Al, but in your quest for perfection you seem to analyze things to the point where you can't make up your mind.  :nerd:

God bless you for it, but pods do increase air turbulence and appear to make for a rougher running bike. Judging by Enzo's bike of course, he's had two brands of pods and riding his bike is like riding a sledgehammer. Of course, this may not all be due to the pods.  :D

....yes, it's called "analysis paralysis" (note: the root of anal-ysis) :lol:

But much like Francesco, I usually end up talking myself around in circles(perhaps in the same thread :P ), sometimes with a little help, and figure out the best course of action :rolleyes:

No offense taken though, as I have no preference to the lidless versus pods performance comparison. I'm sure it depends on many things, although all things being equal, the lidless design may indeed make more power :huh2: ....after all, a while back during a conversation with one of the MG LSR guys, he noted that they increased the airbox on one bike to improve power.

And of course "power" is somewhat subjective, as is one talking torque or HP, and where in curve? For different people, that answer may vary... and I suspect just like other performance bits, the pods and lidless airbox probably deliver just as differently as well.

Anyway, in my case, it was an easy choice to go with the pods(which wasn't my first preference BTW, I had an early FBF "ring" that I mated with a K&N flat filter, when FBF was first making them ;) ), as I wanted the "bulk" that is the airbox gone from under the tank to allow me to do some other things, and to clear up the airflow, et al... under there :D So pods it was.

But humorously, I didn't like the traditional reason people go for pods, which is to get rid of the "ugly" and "bulky" airbox sidecovers. Call me stupid, but I like them! So I put in pods, but went to the trouble to make a new frame just to support the sidecovers, without an airbox! :grin:

Here is a whole thread/poll on the subject I started last year:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...pic=918&hl=pods

post-5-1055141423.jpg

post-5-1055141569.jpg

For the moment the sidecovers are off though, in preparation for my engine case swap.... and I've gotten more used to the "naked" pod look. But I suspect I'll swap back and forth over time B)

Again, I say just choose the configuration that appeals to one's taste, and the small HP/Torque difference that may exist is so minimal that it's just not a major issue.

BTW, in regard to Enzo/Nemo's bike, doesn't he have his pods mounted directly to the throttle bodies/intakes, versus reutilizing the black plastic intake runner that as stock goes into the airbox from the TB? I ask because, although I know many people(esp Europeans) have mounted the filters directly to the TB/Intake, I've always heard that the bike will run better/smoother(WRT the airflow turbulence issue) if the pods are *not* mounted directly to the TB/Intakes.

In my case, the odd K&Ns that I have, have the "intake runner" already molded into the filter body, so I didn't use that runner. But if one just had the plain conical/cylindrical K&Ns, there perhaps may be more turbulence issues at the intake/butterfly as compared to an airbox equipped bike, bike with filters that have the runners(like mine), or those mounted to the OEM plastic intake tubes ....versus directly to the TBs :huh2:

Who knows though, perhaps it's just a wive's tale, as I have no objective and technical data on the subject.... just what I've heard :)

al

My, you do have big pods, Al!

Having taken the lid off and just left the stock paper filter, I'm not overjoyed with the noise that it makes. It sounds too much like an air hammer. I might leave it off for another week, just to annoy the people in England when I go over.

A Sport probably need more air than a Jackal so both points could be right.

As I said before somewhere,

a 1100 cc twin has plenty 'nogh torque,

so I need more top power please.

.. and

runs like a sledgehammer really sounds great :helmet:

My, you do have big pods, Al!

Having taken the lid off and just left the stock paper filter, I'm not overjoyed with the noise that it makes. It sounds too much like an air hammer. I might leave it off for another week, just to annoy the people in England when I go over.

You probably have a magnified perspective on the noise, since the intake is pointing at your head. Do you think that it is as loud for bystanders?

J

Guest Jeff in Ohio

NUMBER ONE PROBLEM WITH PODS...............

the throttle body assembly and all that linkage is now only supported by the rubber intake boots on one end so it has more room to shake around if it wants. With the airbox, the whole assembly is supported on the front by the intake boots and at the rear by the airbox..........

since the intake is pointing at your head.

Yikes! Am I in danger of being sucked in?

Better keep it under 2,000 rpm

the throttle body assembly and all that linkage is now only supported by the rubber intake boots on one end so it has more room to shake around if it wants.

I just checked, but on my LM (with pods) there runs an alu bar from one throttle body to the other. The middle of the bar supports on the tranny. Furthermore there is a black metal bar that connects the top of both TB's

So I don't think shaking will be an issue.

the throttle body assembly and all that linkage is now only supported by the rubber intake boots on one end so it has more room to shake around if it wants.

I just checked, but on my LM (with pods) there runs an alu bar from one throttle body to the other. The middle of the bar supports on the tranny. Furthermore there is a black metal bar that connects the top of both TB's

So I don't think shaking will be an issue.

This maybe proves the point. It sounds like your combined throttle unit has dropped. I don't think that the bar should be sitting on your tranny. It sits up above it with stock set-up. It is not attached to the tranny.

I'm with the 'support at both ends is quite good in the long run' camp.

It sounds like your combined throttle unit has dropped. I don't think that the bar should be sitting on your tranny. It sits up above it with stock set-up. It is not attached to the tranny.

Strange, it looks like it can't be moved up. The top bar fits just under the frame. How much space do you have between the bottom bar and the tranny?

But to quote Al: YMMV... I have sort of a prototype. :) F.I. my fuel pump is above the oil cooler and I have yet to see another V11 with the same setup.

fuelpump.jpg