Switching from the airbox to the pods

Guest robbrugg

Scurafront2.jpg-thumb_202_269.jpgpost-5-1086983988.jpg

? :!: This isn't a good picture of my oil cooler etc. it's just one I happened to have, but still you might be able to see that your front end arrangements seem to be quite different. Did yours come like that from new?

Your horns are higher and the cooler is probably lower.

The tranny case is curved – at the top the smallest gap is around 8mm. That is quite a lot, compared to 0mm.

Yeah, whilst not "as common" on the late model V11 bikes, the front mounted fuel-pump(in Jaap's example) was used on the Sport1100 and Centauro. I've seen several Tenni's with this arrangement as well.

As discussed in this old thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=894&hl=

It is an odd arrangement to see on a V11 for sure though :P

I think MG was aware of the vapor lock issue, and that along with the "variable" assembly line parts and techniques at the factory(whatever Luigi grabbed and ws handy :rolleyes: ) ... the fuel pumps were in at least 3 different locations(out front, under the spine, above the spine) through the V11 Sport life up to 2003 when they finally went with the new in-tank systems.

al

Another issue with pods dirrect on to the throttle bodies or on to the intake rubbers. Is the overall length and how that effects harmonics. I know they they used to tune the inlet trumpets for length in much the same way as exhaust length.

Does it make any difference?

Another project/study for AL? :lol:

Another issue with pods dirrect on to the throttle bodies or on to the intake rubbers. Is the overall length and how that effects harmonics. I know they they used to tune the inlet trumpets for length in much the same way as exhaust length.

Does it make any difference?

Another project/study for AL? :lol:

Martin,

if we were talking race bike airboxes it would be a good point.

The air box in that case is optimized to increase power in

specified rpm range.

Our airboxes (airboxen?) a primarily there to reduce the noise,

second they are usually designed to fit whatever space is available.

Tuning to "pillar of air" is hardly a considation in street bikes in

general and in the V11s case:

popping the lid of and getting instant power doesn't make me thing

we have an specially optimized airbox.

Guest robbrugg

So - with all this pod V.S. modified airbox theorizing, is it possible for me to modify the airbox WITHOUT the FBF kit? For a little boost?

Robb

You can make a small bracket to hold down your airfilter if you are handy with a hacksaw. I used some thin angle iron that I got from the local hardware store. Haven't had any problems.

Or keep it simple. I sealed the stock paper filter onto the bottom half of the box with instant gasket and gaffa tape.

If I keep it like this for a while, I think I would put the top of the box back on for the winter, when the paper filter would be vulnerable to wet weather.

The middle of the bar supports on the tranny.

I have to correct myself. This afternoon I checked again with daylight

Correct translation:

(with daylight) = "when I was sober"