ECU ISSUE

Formula Alfa

Hello there,

Have just joined hoping someone can offer some help and advice.

I bought a v11 le mans, registered in 2007 last Saturday.

I have been getting familiar with it and noticed the battery was a bit low so took it off and charged it.

After re fitting the battery, the bike turns over better but now it wont start and I think it could be an issue with the ECU as I noticed there is no whirring sound that it used to make after switching on the ignition.

I am concerned I have managed to wreck the ECU already by catching it with a spanner when undoing the battery although I dont remember hearing or seeing an electrical spark.

I took a plug out after cranking the Motor and the plug was also bone dry.

So, could anybody tell me, does it need to be reset perhaps?, there is a port that comes out of the ECU to plug in Diagnostic kit.

Or is there a way of testing the ECU, short of trying it on another V11 Le Mans, not that I know of any other owners locally.

I am preparing myself for the worst!!, If I need a new one, is it worth getting and ECU that can be reprogrammed?, or is the type I have (if it is servicable) able to be re programmed anyway?, If I grow to like the bike, I would like to fit the Mistral crossover and silencers for the better sound/looks/running.

Sorry about all the questions but I really am not familiar with Guzzi`s.

Jon.

• Like 1

Hi, Jon! You are in the world's best place to get to know your V11. :nerd::luigi:

Your ECU is likely fine. Let's start with fuses and relays (under the seat).

First, look at Fuse#2 (from the front).

Next, carefully give Relays #4 and #5 a wiggle and firm press (maybe even unseat them slightly and press them firmly back in).

Make note of the make/model of your relays and post back . . .

Best to you and welcome! docc

• Like 1

Well, first of all, thank you for your prompt reply Docc, and already you have filled me with hope, I am going to go and try what you have suggested right now and will let you know the outcome.

Thankyou.

Jon.

Ok, I have checked all the fuses, held them up to the light and all intact as far as I can tell.

I pulled all the relays out and replaced them one by one and no difference.

Working from front of bike to back, relay 4 and 5 look identical, the make is Tyco and on one side of the body of the relay it says, from the top down, V23074, then the number PA66-GF25. Made in Portugal!

Regards,

Jon.

A couple of more simple things:

Are you quite sure that you got everything connected back up to the battery? Have a really good look and make sure there is not another wire there somewhere that should be connected.

Check to make sure the plug to the fuel pump is properly connected.

Quite possibly those things are ok, but it is always good to have a quick look to make sure the really basic simple stuff is really ok before one starts delving into the more complicated of the possible faults.

Also, check the fuses with a multi-meter. They might quite possibly look ok, but be actually faulty.

• Like 2

Hello Gentlemen,

Yes I missed a connection to the negative terminal of the battery, one of the leads had fallen down below, just re connected and all is fine, she starts!

Thanks to you all, it made me have a closer look and I found the mistake I made, and after a very wet day, the roads are drying so might now finally be able to go for a ride!

Thanks again everyone, I shall be coming on here again no doubt.

Jon.

• Like 2

So great, Jon! Like I said, you (and your V11) are in the right place. :bier:

FYI, those TYCO relays are among the most failure prone relays ever to ride in a V11.

DigiKey is a worldwide electronics distributor (not sure your actual location).  Currently, the Best (micro-ISO) Relay is probably the Picker Components high current selection. (Yes, you can put the same 5-pin relay in all five positions ) . . .

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/picker-components/PC782-1C-12S-R-X/12352866

Data Sheet

There were "variations" in the V11 line over the course of production, 1999-2005. Knowing the tenth character in your VIN and the "model" (LeMans, Sport, Rosso Corsa, etc) will help you, immensely, with various tasks and parts selection . . .

Best! docc