99 Cali V11EV pushrod/lifter issue

JimM

New owner (first Guzzi) of a very nice, running '99 V11e with 38k miles on it.  Long BMW background with Airheads and Oilheads, all maintenance by me.  No maintenance history from previous owner (estate purchase).

Immediately discovered very tight valve clearances (none, valves not likely closing completely) which indicated to me that the valves had not been done in a long time and receded as on  a BMW.  Did a valve adjustment (.10 / .15) and starting and running behaviour improved immediately.  

However, a new issue manisted itself.  At idle or low rpm (< 1500 rpm) it will "pop" intermittently inside the exhaust system, a funny, almost metallic "ping".  It is not preignition / detonation.  At 2000 rpm or better, the noise does not occur.

It is not the heat shields as I removed them to eliminate that possibility after reading a posting here.

My next step will be a compression check to see if I have a burnt exhaust valve from the lack of valve clearance.  If ok, I will look at injectors.  

What is the collective opinion on this and is there any trick to removing the injectors from the throttle bodies.

Thanks in advance for any input or guidance. 

First, well: Hey, welcome, @JimM !

Let's get clarified on your "V11" model. What is this V11 "e" of yours? As in "EV?"

Next, I would suggest (regardless of the V11 variant/motor), valve clearances 0.006"/0.008" Intake/Exhaust (0.15/0.20 mm).

Removing the injectors is probably not "next" . . .

• Like 2

Hi Jim

Valve adjustment is done, me too I prefer the 15/20 values for the V11. TPS adjustment with throttle synchronisation is next step. Maybe that will already cure the symptoms. 

If not check CO value at the popping rpm. Supposedly very lean. 

The ECU has a CO trim that can be adjusted using the Guzzidiag software. Check for this in the forum - it is cheap to get the necessary parts and easy to use. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

This is a 99 Cali EV.  I have discovered that I mis-identified the noise as exhaust related. 

I did a compression check and found that the left cylinder was lower (140psi) than the right (170psi).  I pulled the valve cover off again and discovered that the left intake pushrod had come out from under the tappet adjustment screw on the rocker arm.  I re-adjusted the valves (.10 / .15) and ran a compression check and had good compression (170psi) on both sides.  I buttoned everything back up and put the plugs back in to start.  Within a few seconds the noise returned and while I was out of time to dig back in I am confident a have a pushrod out of place again.  

While I am new to Guzzi's I have maintained my own BMW Airheads and Oilheads for over 30 years and have done many valve adjustments.  I have never seen anything like this.  Short of reducing the valve clearance what should I look at?  

• Like 1

• docc changed the title to 99 Cali V11EV pushrod/lifter issue

Changed your topic title and moved this thread for better viewing and replies, @JimM . . .

Collapsed lifter? Hoping for better qualified members to chime in on this model (1999 Cali EV) . . .

I have seen this happen on V-twin pushrod engines on ATVs , riding mowers w V-twin engines , I was told by this mower shop @ Calvert City the valve is seizing in the  cylinder (valve guide)  head . The cures are : run PREMIUM gasoline and mix in Marvel Mystery Oil to get things lubricated to stop this and prevent it from happening in the future. HTH

Are you confident enough to gain access to the top of the valve to tap the top of the valve stem and see if it pops back with a good "pop" to verify the valve stem isn't sticking in the guide ?

Make absolutely sure the piston is about halfway down the bore of the cylinder so the valve will not come in contact with the piston .

• Like 1

All apart from a short series of the 1100 motors produced for the Cali series in 2002-2004 have solid lifters.

As for your current problem I would first drop the rocker out on the valve that jumped the pushrod. Chances are it's bent and will just keep repeating the failure until it snaps. If it's straight? Don't bother monkeying about. Just pull the head and barrel and check lifters, lobes and valves/guides. If the lifter has failed so has the cam so you'll have to replace cam, lifters and probably at least one pushrod.

Take the heads to a head shop and get them serviced. If it needs a new valve or two? So be it. K-line the guides if they are worn or damaged unless they are loose in the head. If they are replace them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AND , when / if you remove lifters and inspect be absolutely sure to install that lifter back into that bore it came out of . Each lifter / cam lobe has developed a particular wear pattern .  

To test the pushrod for being straight, lay them on a sheet of glass and roll them . It will be straight or bent . Nothing in between .

• Like 1