Speedomoter repair

Art

The trip odometer was not working when I got the bike. I've removed it and broke the skinny reset shaft.

Looks like the only way to get inside is to  remove the chrome ring which will wreck it.

Has anyone done this?

if taken to a shop that repairs speedos , they gently pry off the chrome ring and able to reuse it. 

The alternative is ruining the ring and possibly breaking the glass... ask me how i know :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Here is one of the most recent discussion on the subject. It’s about the tachometer but I think you will find useful information in there on how to go about opening up and repairing instrument gauges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the help Speedfrog. I spent way too much time looking thru 450 search results before asking.

I just needed to know that the bezel is removable AND replaceable.

• Like 1

The shaft is now 3/8 shorter, but I've got a piece of hose to stick on the end.

Added a bit of brass where a grommet probably once lived.

As a bonus the white needle on a white background has been fixed???

IMG_5750_0000.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Art said:

The trip odometer was not working when I got the bike. I've removed it and broke the skinny reset shaft.

Looks like the only way to get inside is to  remove the chrome ring which will wreck it.

Has anyone done this?

1 hour ago, Art said:

The shaft is now 3/8 shorter, but I've got a piece of hose to stick on the end.

Added a bit of brass where a grommet probably once lived.

As a bonus the white needle on a white background has been fixed???

IMG_5750_0000.jpg

Progress! Does that address the presenting issue of the trip odometer not working when you got the bike, or is that internal to the mechanism? (Common issue)

• Like 1

When I got the bike the grommet was missing and the reset shaft was bent. Trip odometer not working. Bit of dirt inside.

With 37,000 miles on the meter, everything inside looks like new. No plastic gear wear.

After reassembly it all works when driven at 20mph with my drill. Looking forward to testing at 100mph when my regulator shows up.

IMG_5754_0000.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One more bit of information.

The enamel coating on the needle was separating and about to fall off. Getting this crap into the moving parts would certainly cause trouble.

• Like 2

And finally, the punch line.

Any of you who have removed a speedometer will have been waiting for this moment when I go to install the speedo, with an epoxied shaft sticking out.

I'd like to say I'm usually smarter than this, but the truth is I've learned to be creative with my mistakes. I'm looking forward to some interesting dash mods.

IMG_5759_0000.jpg

• Like 1