Busy -- a good thing at my age! :) -- so have missed this and a number of other threads recently.

I suppose that this thread is banter, but celebrating Independence Day is, IMO, hardly silly.

My fourth great grandfather, Corporal James Hagan, Jr., served with the Maryland line of the Continental Army from 1776 -1783.  He was seriously wounded at Eutaw Springs on 8 September 1781 ... interestingly, that is the day in 2023 that Kathi and I will arrive at Tellico Springs for this year's SSR.

We celebrate The Fourth in a serious way.  Unlike most folks around here who -- oddly, it seems to us -- put up Christmas decorations in November and toss it all in the garbage on the 26th, we leave ours up until Epiphany.

Those same people put up the Fourth display here around Memorial Day, but as soon as the boom and smoke of the fireworks clear, down come the flags, etc.

We put up our Independence Day bunting on the first or second of July, but leave those up for at least a week after.

Here's what our front gate looks like "as we speak!"

i-CgPsRwm-L.jpg

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As so many times, I will make this reply and promptly report myself. :huh:<_<

It is on me when topics get moved. There was no other place for this, yet this matter has come up before: A topic gets posted that is not technical, motorcycle, or Guzzi related and  . . . where does it belong?

I will discuss this with our Admin/ Chief Whip @Admin Jaap and perhaps we may retitle this subforum as a "catch-all" without suggesting silliness or frivolity.

Matters of Silly Banter and Redneck Trashtalk shall ever have a place here, though. Some of our best "conversation!" :grin::rolleyes::whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Docc, my comment was not a real criticism, as there is no perfect place for such things.

And, after all, it was banter.  Yes, some solemn, even reverent between-the-lines meaning, but still banter.

I apologize if I came across as the Old Guy I am.  :oldgit::D

Bill

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bill Hagan said:

Docc, my comment was not a real criticism, as there is no perfect place for such things.

And, after all, it was banter.  Yes, some solemn, even reverent between-the-lines meaning, but still banter.

I apologize if I came across as the Old Guy I am.  :oldgit::D

Bill

All good. I have my own history and reverence for our US Independence Day. Yet, we are an international community, so this is not relevant to all of our members. The same awkward circumstance occurred when the Queen of England passed. That was not "silly banter", but mattered to some of our community. Yet, we have no other "catch-all" subforum.

I am asking our Chief Whip to consider re-titling this subforum that we may keep a place for banter and conversation that is not V11/Guzzi/technical/archived . . .

• Like 1
On 7/8/2023 at 10:12 PM, docc said:

All good. I have my own history and reverence for our US Independence Day. Yet, we are an international community, so this is not relevant to all of our members. The same awkward circumstance occurred when the Queen of England passed. That was not "silly banter", but mattered to some of our community. Yet, we have no other "catch-all" subforum.

I am asking our Chief Whip to consider re-titling this subforum that we may keep a place for banter and conversation that is not V11/Guzzi/technical/archived . . .

Done. Thank you, :notworthy:  Jaap!  :bier:

• Like 3