2002 LeMans electrical

JRD

After being side tracked with a couple minor health issues and a foray into the adventure bikes for several years,  I finally got back around to trying to track down the eeelectric malfunctions on my 02 Goldie.  

I have a front running light, rear tail light, turn signals and starter but no head light, brake light or horns!!!!! Replaced the relays with Omron units I ordered over a year ago. Docc and company, thanks so much for posting the wiring diagrams. Trying to get this lump sorted and running in time for the next Spine Raid.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JRD said:

After being side tracked with a couple minor health issues and a foray into the adventure bikes for several years,  I finally got back around to trying to track down the eeelectric malfunctions on my 02 Goldie.  

I have a front running light, rear tail light, turn signals and starter but no head light, brake light or horns!!!!! Replaced the relays with Omron units I ordered over a year ago. Docc and company, thanks so much for posting the wiring diagrams. Trying to get this lump sorted and running in time for the next Spine Raid.  

Hey, @JRD! Good to see you back!

Those functions are all Relay #2, all from the same (Fuse #5).

Check for power at the relay base then at the fuse. Next check upstream is the ignition switch inspection.

Probably best we move this to its own topic.

You'll get it squared away!

• Like 1

Moved @JRD's inquiry to this dedicated topic. Pretty likely a common failure that others will benefit from knowing about and finding here in the future . . . :luigi:  :nerd:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JRD said:

Did someone mention Spine Raid :bike:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Joe said:

Did someone mention Spine Raid :bike:

@JRD is a bona fide South'n SpineRaider from Eleventh SSR, 2015:

DSCN3752_1.jpg

Two months to SSR IX, y'all . . .

(I'd rather we sort JRD's LeMans from here than from one of those Cherohala overlooks above the cloud ceiling.) :whistle:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, docc said:

@JRD is a bona fide South'n SpineRaider from Eleventh SSR, 2015:

DSCN3752_1.jpg

Two months to SSR IX, y'all . . .

(I'd rather we sort JRD's LeMans from here than from one of those Cherohala overlooks above the cloud ceiling.) :whistle:

Never leave a fallen Spine Raider behind :luigi: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I recall we all pulled over to watch as someone had to re-attach their muffler with safety wire on their BMW.

That was quite a ride, everything from sunshine to fog so thick you couldn't see ten feet in front of you.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JRD said:

As I recall we all pulled over to watch as someone had to re-attach their muffler with safety wire on their BMW.

That was quite a ride, everything from sunshine to fog so thick you couldn't see ten feet in front of you.  

Truth be known, with fourteen of us in the queue (never again!), I knew there were several unprepared to roll into that 55ºF/13ºC cloud ceiling from the 90ºF basin we rode up from, and pulled us off to regroup and "suit-up". 

The hapless fellow's dangerous exhaust falling off was spotted by one of our sharp-eyed SpineRaiders . . .

• Like 2

Just posted this over in the How to Section also.  Here is a head scratcher.  Still trying to track down my electrical gremlin.  Replaced all my fuses and relays.  going by the Wiring Diagrams it looks like the fuse block on my bike is the opposite of the diagram.  the spare fuse #8 is at the back of the bike and the ECU fuse #1 is at the front of the bike.  I have power going into and out of fuses #5 and #6(Day lights and headlights).  And the blue wire going into Relay #2 lights the test light when ground to the frame but no power at the red/black wire, green/white or black wire.

Do I need to disassemble the ignition switch or continue b checking the main plugs?

Don't worry about the day light/tail light/Fuse 6. That is a separate circuit with no relay.

So, you have power from Fuse 5 to the #2 relay? But no power to pull in the relay coil with the ignition switch on?

I would be inspecting the Ignition Switch for a broken wire where they are soldered onto the switch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Docc, that will be my next project.  I ll keep you all postd.

Ok folks I finally found my electrical problem and it was probably self inflicted. After initially checking all the fuses and replacing each relay EXCEPT the START relay, I removed all of the body work and began checking each individual junction plug to include disassembling the ignition switch.  When all that failed I called a friend who went thru each circuit.  We then discovered at some point I must have inserted a 4 blade relay into the STARTER relay plug.  This relay also supplies energy to the brake light, headlights and horn relay via the green/white wire.  PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!  We also learned the fuse for the fuel pump activate the starter when I discovered a brand new faulty fuse.  Thanks so much to Docc and everyone, especially for posting the wire diagram!!!!!

• Like 3