California 1400 Diagnostic cable

guido

I have a friend with California 1400. It is showing urgent service and going into limp mode. I can see that you can connect to diagnostic programs, but I haven't got the cable. We have currently got no dealers. Would someone please let me know the connection between the three pin connector going into the bike harness, and the connection to the OBD plug. IOW which points connect where.

Would be much appreciated!

That would be the same one as is required for the V11 for Guzzidiag operations.

Here is a supplier:

https://www.lonelec.com/product/moto-guzzi-ducati-3-pin-to-16-pin-obd-adaptor/

Here is a wiring diagramme, along with quite a lot of info about Guzzidiag and links to it and other useful stuff. The wiring diagramme for the adaptor is quite a long way down the page.

https://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Without knowing for sure, I reckon Guzzidiag is probably your best bet, anyway, to read out the error messages and generally have a look at what the motor management is doing. As I said, info on that page....

• Thanks 2

What year Cali 1400 is this?

If it's throwing an 'Urgent Service' warning and going into limp mode it is most likely the demand sensor. If it's an early bike it is even more likely. There was a duff run of them at the very beginning. RSV4 Aprilias had the same issue. There was a recall for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think it is an early one the VIN number is ZGULVA0260M111443.

Demand sensor is the same as the throttle position censor, TPS?

What goes wrong and can it be repaired or new unit.?

I don't think he has had any recalls done. I remember I had to sort his key switch out. Totally burned out. They wanted about 500Dollars for a new one.

I bought a metal barrel for a Toyota and modified his for a tenth of the cost.

And it is far better quality!

• Like 1

It's a bit more complicated than that. It's essentially a four track TPS that constantly compares the readings against each other and a known baseline to regulate throttle opening. Being RBW there is no direct connection between the twistgrip and throttlebody.

If the ECU sees a discrepancy between any of the parameters of any of the four tracks it will throw the bike into limp mode. If it sees a discrepancy between two or more tracks it will shut the engine down and, thoughtfully, put on the brake light!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

So the logical process is to get the cable and read the codes.

Then take it from there.

As to whether the demand sensor can be repaired or not, this from the service manual about p. 125:

"Operation / Operating principle The two throttle cables (opening and closing) actuate on a scroll mounted on a shaft which is sent back to its home position by a return spring. On the shaft covers there are 2 double track potentiometers (4 control tracks) by means of which the torque demand is read (and checked). The 4 potentiometers are tinned and magnetically controlled (contactless); they cannot be overhauled nor replaced" 

So that appears to be a definite NO!

So, as a typical South African, I will try~!@  ;-)

And most likely f. up something in the process!! ;-(

LOL

2 hours ago, guido said:

So that appears to be a definite NO!

So... I will try...

And most likely f. up something in the process!!

I always think, if I'm looking at having to buy a new part, it can't hurt to try and fix the broken one. It is, after all, already broken. What can go wrong? :whistle:

Do keep us informed of your progress. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...