Fuel level sensor

Yam350

• 1 month later...

Hi @Lucky Phil,

You write "I have replace my sensor with a blanking plug until I get a chance to manufacture a new aluminium and HDPE probe holder. The thermistor is no issue to source but you also need fuel proof wiring and potting compound. I have a design and materials but need some spare time."

I have the same on my bike (Scura with external fuel pump). The previous owner replaced the sensor by a blanking plug.
Last years I use the milage, but would like some working sensor - but no OEM sensor can be found...
Would you be so kind to share your design so I can make a sensor too. 

Thanks,
David

The Netherlands

• Like 2

@Yam350

As promised, I contacted Mouser Electronics who had the Panasonic Thermistor part number in their catalog.

They sent me a quotation with zero quantity stating the item is not currently manufactured by Panasonic. "No longer" would have been more appropriate.

mouserlogo.png
Quote Number : QEAFF9F
Contact Name :  
Quote Date : OCT 25, 2023
Customer Number : 61459FE

Pascal

Thank you for the opportunity to quote on your current requirements. Unfortunately, we are unable to bid on the items requested. We look forward to assisting you with future inquiries.

If you have any questions, please reply to this email or call our Customer Service Team at 800-346-6873.

Customer Service

Please direct inquiries to:
Mouser Electronics, Inc.
Phone: 800-346-6873
orders@mouser.com

Office Hours:
7:00am to 8:00pm CST (Monday - Friday)

Mouser Electronics is an authorized distributor of the product(s) being quoted, and will/has purchased the product(s) being quoted directly from the manufacturer or authorized supply chain. Chuck Amsden / Director of Quality

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 6:36 AM, David Konings said:

Hi @Lucky Phil,

You write "I have replace my sensor with a blanking plug until I get a chance to manufacture a new aluminium and HDPE probe holder. The thermistor is no issue to source but you also need fuel proof wiring and potting compound. I have a design and materials but need some spare time."

I have the same on my bike (Scura with external fuel pump). The previous owner replaced the sensor by a blanking plug.
Last years I use the milage, but would like some working sensor - but no OEM sensor can be found...
Would you be so kind to share your design so I can make a sensor too. 

Thanks,
David

The Netherlands

The plastic housing isn't optimal as it eventually becomes impossible to seal. As soon as you remove it and reinstall it won't reseal in some cases. So aluminium housing is what I'm planning. looking at the original design gives a clue to the fact it's not a no brainer situation. Many of the thermistors which are easy to source have an external earth wire soldered onto the case which won't work on the V11 sensor because the external earth wire wont go through the tank fitting dia wise. So that needs to be removed and the earth done via the fitting at the top as in the std version which I have disassembled. It's one of those things where when you pull it apart and study it the details become apparent and the complexities involved in remanufacturing obvious. So the original plastic housing has an aluminium fitting pressed into it and the thermistor is crimped into that. The aluminium housing has a drain hole and an earth lead crimped into it and the insulated live wire through the centre. The plastic housing is hollow down to the drain hole in the image and the rest is filled with an epoxy resin encapsulating the wiring where it exits the tank fitting. The dia must be kept std as thats all that will fit through the tank fitting opening. Basically it's a case of making the plastic fitting in aluminium and the thermistor is either crimped in place or maybe a small pair of set screws below flush. Fuel proof epoxy, wiring and heat shrink.

Phil

IMG_3440 - Copy.JPG

Body drain hole

IMG_3439 - Copy.JPG

Thermistor in place but with with crimp machined off 

IMG_3438.JPG

Back side of aluminium fitting with earth wire crimped onto fitting, drain hole in fitting and supply wire through the fitting in the middle. 

IMG_3437 - Copy.JPG

Top and bottom of thermistor canister has drain holes.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, David Konings said:

Hi Phil,

Thanks. Good start for creating my personal fuel sensor coming winter.

One questions because my Scura doesn't have the old sensor anymore: how deep (high) should the sensor be placed into the tank?

Thanks.

David

From the sealing face on the sensor flange to the centre of the sensor is 135mm plus the 2 mm thick sealing washer so 137mm total. I made the sealing washers myself from HDPE and will make any plastic components I need from the same if the final design needs a plastic component.

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2