Rear shock: which way round?

audiomick

11 minutes ago, stewgnu said:

easy on a buell- peak torque is at 400rpm

Almost. I had a Buell X1, one of the best bikes I ever owned when it was running right. That thing was wicked. I loved it.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, GuzziMoto said:

Almost. I had a Buell X1, one of the best bikes I ever owned when it was running right. That thing was wicked. I loved it.

had a blast on a pals uly once, i kept hitting the end of the revs cos i was used to the v11.  I love that the guzzis have that extra 2 thousand revs- really feel good in comparison

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stewgnu said:

had a blast on a pals uly once, i kept hitting the end of the revs cos i was used to the v11.  I love that the guzzis have that extra 2 thousand revs- really feel good in comparison

Sure, but a 1200cc Buell will easily loft the front wheel with all that torque. You just have to ride it accordingly. The V11 is likely just as fast, but the low end power of the Harley engine in the Buell will pull out stumps.

The V11 engine is something of a mid-range beast. It doesn't need to rev as high as some twins to make power, but it also doesn't have the low end power that a big twin can have. Perhaps it is the best compromise. But that Buell with the torque it had and the handling just this side of a TZ250, it was great. Sadly, it had issues keeping internal fluids internal.

9 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

Sure, but a 1200cc Buell will easily loft the front wheel with all that torque. You just have to ride it accordingly. The V11 is likely just as fast, but the low end power of the Harley engine in the Buell will pull out stumps.

The V11 engine is something of a mid-range beast. It doesn't need to rev as high as some twins to make power, but it also doesn't have the low end power that a big twin can have. Perhaps it is the best compromise. But that Buell with the torque it had and the handling just this side of a TZ250, it was great. Sadly, it had issues keeping internal fluids internal.

dig it.
mine’s leaking though… ☹️

47 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

Sadly, it had issues keeping internal fluids internal.

I thought buying a variety of dowty washers (w inner rubber seal) would solve the slow seepage from my guzzis,,, :rasta:

They work well,,, :thumbsup:

I just have trouble remembering to keep them out & visible so they go on before I tighten the drain plug & fill it with oil  :homer:

:grin:

Ps; I've always been curious about the early frame Buells,,, the descriptions of the torque & handling sound delicious :food:

:2c:

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, fotoguzzi said:

I had a Uly, LOVED the torq! It was slightly too big for my 150# so moved on to a Ducati.

The Ulysses was a decent bike for an SUV. But because of its extra height it was never going to handle as good as the standard version, and me also not being overly tall (around 5'10") it just was never practical. Besides, it was never going to be worth the sacrifices from the height because it was never going to be very capable off road.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good Dual Sport. I have owned a couple and loved them. But a streetbike on stilts holds no appeal to me, it just screws up the handling and makes it harder on me. For what I can do on the typical adventure bike I could do on a normal streetbike. And most of it I could do better.

I do prefer the earlier tube frame Buells, but the later aluminum framed ones were great. The engineering that went into them made them unique.