Oil cooler attachment frame removal

EstuaryGuzz

I need to remove the tubular frame that the oil cooler attaches to (for corrosion treatment and paint)  More significantly I note it braces the spine beam bellow the steering head to the engine. 

Has anyone removed this piece before?

I already have the forks removed (for overhaul)  and have the bike supported with a paddock stand on the swing arm and the motor supported on wood blocks. 

Should I disassemble the back end (to reduce any strain) and/or prepare a temporary brace for the front end between the spine and the motor?

Thanks in advance

• EstuaryGuzz changed the title to Oil cooler attachment frame removal

If you are talking about the bracket I think you are talking about, the one that goes between the spine frame and the front motor mount points, I would make sure the engine is supported as that bracket holds up the front of the motor. But beyond supporting the motor you don't in my opinion and experience have to do anything else. No need to dis-assemble the back end of rig up some temp brace. If the weight of the motor is being supported so that the motor does not drop when you remove the bracket it will be fine. Just make sure your support of the motor is stable and secure. A basic premise of this would be if the motor is properly supported it won't drop or move when you remove the bracket. And if it doesn't move when you remove the bracket re-installing the brackets should be easy, the holes should line right up without any issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the front subframe we are talking about (#2, below)? The tank would have to be off for access to the upper fasteners and I would think the front of the spine frame would need to be suspended from above . . .

Frame-MOTO-GUZZI-MOTO-GUZZI-MOTORCYCLES-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with GuzziMoto & Doc.  I had to rotate my #2 subframe forward/up to remove the timing cover to replace my timing cover gasket.  I supported the engine from underneath at the oil pan.  However, on mine, the spine was supported up front by the front end (front wh, forks, etc.) when I disconnected #2 from the engine.  And, the front wheel was in a wheel vise to keep the bike perpendiculer to the ground and stable.  So, if you don't have the forks, front wheel, etc. on the bike, I would say that the spine has to be supported (suspended from above) too by way of a chain fall, engine hoist, etc. so that there is some stability to keep it from falling on its side   And, the tank has previously been removed.  I suppose if you had the rear wheel locked up in a wheel vise and the engine fully supported you might be able to get away without support from above at the spine....I guess.

large.20230328_112914.jpg

• Like 2

Gents replies much appreciated.  Exploded view and photo just the job to figure it out

It's indeed #2 - Fwd Sub frame(apologies my clumsy description) I'll have a good think before I go for it- with your good advise in mind. 

I'll let you know if I broke it!!!

Thanks

• Like 2