Rabaconda tyre changer.

Lucky Phil

I bought one of these a while back and used it to mount the new tyres to the PVM wheels on my V10 Sport. I've looked at various tyre changers over the years such as the No Mar etc and was always unimpressed by the size and the fact you still need to lever on the edge of the rim and unless they are bolted down you seem to chase the unit itself around the shop floor. The Rabaconda is brilliant to use. The force of stretching the tyre is directed into the ground so it's very stable and the ratchet system is easy on the body and the "ducks head design which is basically the same as a powered machine keeps the rim safe. For people that do miles and the cost of tyre fitting these days it's a good investment. I rate it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi LP,

Nice, I don't think I came across the Rabaconda unit when I was looking back in 2017.  I looked at the Max2H changer but thought I'm getting too old to be scrambling around on the ground.

Yeah, I like the Rabaconda stopper pin, lube brush & lube bucket.  I also like the duckhead, looks similar to the set-up on Coats powered changers, don't know why Nomar didn't put the like on their tire bar other than maybe a patent problem..idk.  I have a Nomar, I never got the technique for using their tire bar, luckily someone posted something about the Mojolever ( https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm ), it made all the difference in the world for me, works great, no special technique needed to use. 

Another thing is the lube.  I was using Ru Glide when using powered changers but found it drys too quickly, for me, when using a manual changer so it's the grease for me.  I dislike using the Nomar lube...small tub, you need two hands to use, one to hold the tub & the other to dip in, get lube all over it, hit the tire and rim then wipe off hand....stupid.  Rabaconda grease brush looks great as does their big grease pail....I'm gonna see about obtaining those items.

The Max2H has a stopper pin set-up too, Nomar doesn't...I use a shipping tie down to keep the wheel from spinning in the wheel clamps or like Rabaconda recommends for use on laced wheels.

I complained to Nomar about their wrinkle finish paint flaking off into the wheel bearing area when using the tire bar against the center pin, they told me I could buy a new center pin.

My Nomar doesn't have the portability of the Rabaconda or Max2h.  I stow the Nomar in the corner of the garage strapped to a HF two wheel dollie.  When I need it, I wheel it into postion in the garage and bolt it down to the concrete threaded inserts that I have previously installed into the garage floor. The bolts only need be finger tight.  So far it has worked out ok.

FWIW, I use a Mark Parnes balancer too, it works good imo.  I hate the price of wheel weights, I suppose it is what it is.

Anyway, the Rabaconda changer looks great!

Art

large.Nomar.jpg

• Like 2

I think I would have bought that - and might still. I had the Harbor Freight unit with the Mojo Blocks and Mojo lever. Mounted it on a pallet so could use body weight for leverage and still move it around - but it took a lot of valuable floor space in the garage. Now I have the NoMar, like GuzziArt's above, but with the hitch mount for my truck. Same complaint about the powdercoating, and I prefer the Mojo Lever over the NoMar lever.

But this tire changer looks to be the best of breed. And seems portable enough to pop in a trailer with some spare tires.

As for wheel weights, I've been using Ride-On tire balancer and sealant on some tires - so no weights needed, just pump some goo into the tire. And on other tires I use the Marc Parnes balancer, which is very nice.

• Like 3

Hey Scud,

I think it was after a thread disussion here with you that I went and got the Mojolever & Mark Parnes balancer:thumbsup:.

I'm still using stick on weights on my cast wheels and wire solder on laced wheels.  My '72 Eldo had balancing beads installed by the former owner, the issue I had with those was that every time I checked tire pressure, the shrader valve would stick open and I'd have to give the tire a shot of air to clear the bead debris from the valve seating area otherwise  the balancing beads worked ok. When I replaced the tires & tubes on that bike I balanced with external wheel weighting.  However, the Ride-On product looks interesting.  I do wonder about the difference in dynamics of the wheel assembly by going from a few grams of external weight versus several onces of beads or goo.  I suppose it doesn't really matter, folks are using both with no apparent issues.

Art

• Like 2

Just some thoughts:

I believe the reason No Mar uses the mounting bar they use is that nothing touches the face of the wheel.  The Mojolever rides along the face of the wheel but as far as I can tell, doesn't mar anything and is much easier. When I first got the  NoMar, I couldn't mount my tires with it.  I had to use levers. So, I decided I needed practice so I bought two motorcycle wheels (17 inch sports wheel) and a early 2000's 16 inch Harley wheel.  After practicing on the old tires that came with the wheels, I then bought new tires for each of these wheels as well as a  tire warmer.  I discovered that for me, the yellow thing doesn't work but a bead holder (https://www.amazon.com/QWORK-Changer-Clamp-Machine-Wheels/dp/B0CF1QNN81/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?hvadid=580709605591&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009899&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14746983431188596350&hvtargid=kwd-36150832978&hydadcr=7484_13212580&keywords=tire%2Bbead%2Bholder&qid=1698799128&sr=8-11-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

works well.  I own 5 of them and use them when I use the No Mar mounting  bar - one in place of the yellow thing and then, as I get some of the tire on, I stop and use another of the bead clamps.  I generally have to use 3, about 90 degrees apart.  I have no luck pushing the tire down with my hand like the videos show. I also use these clamps when using the Mojo Lever.   With lots a practice, I've gotten pretty good with the No Mar.

I've looked at just about every You Tube video on the Rabaconda.  Time wise, the Rabaconda is faster to mount the tire to the machine.  Mounting the tire to the No Mar generally required bead holders for me.  However, once mounted, the No Mar is very makes easy work of tire removal.  In my opinion, the Rabaconda needs a better "gear ratio" with its lever.  

Frank

• Like 2