Ohlin/Brembo Radial Brake Conversion

Mike Stewart

Guest bshpilot
I'm not knocking the radials, but I don't ride in a mode where the radials would offer all that much improvement. As they said, stock brake systems are quite good as they are.

pretty much what i said 'bout the ohlins option....but then i got

torched for sayin' a high percentage of folks would never be able

to justify/use 'em <flame suit on again>

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on what his reserve is, I think I may actually go for these. I just called Lindemann and it's pretty cheap to have them swap the ends.

BTW, I think the calipers do come with the auction, as the auction is titled "Ohlins, Radial Caliper Fork Bottoms & Calipers" ..but I have a note to the seller to confirm.

WRT whether the average street rider needs these, I agree that the answer is almost certainly "naw" as the stock brakes are very good... but not having the radial brakes when I got the new Ohlins front end last Winter was one small little regret I had, since I spent all that $$ anyway. Of course the option wasn't there originally, but this might be a good way to get it done affordably now.

We'll see what the reserve turns out to be though, if it's too high I won't bother.

al

He is ugly. There is no style, no form and no design.

Typical barbarian and NOT Italian.

OK the Brembos look like this:

br_X10_48_50.jpg

This is the top of the line billet version at $500

Paul prefered these PVMs:

1.jpg

got no price but "not cheap" is a good asumption.

the ISR unit I first posted is the most adjustable.

Handbuilt at a resonable price.

Guest 1100sport

I know of two other alternatives when it comes to radial master cylinder.

Discacciati offers probably the best "bang for the buck". It is CNC machined and incorporates the light switch (as opposed to the Brembo) for just 210 euros. That is less than the low range molded Brembo version (approx 250 euros). I have heard and read very positive reviews about it.

post-5-1088276058_thumb.jpg

Guest 1100sport

The other one is a very high end radial master cylinder made by Magura. It is available in 20mm cylinder diameter for superbikes... Available for approx 300 euros/dollars.

post-5-1088276488_thumb.jpg

So, I'm not sure if my question was really answered or not.... can the "conventional" Gold Series Brembo master cylinder/lever our bikes come with stock work with the radial calipers?

If so, is there a significant performance(or other) tradeoff by not using a radial MC?

If not, what size radial MC/lever is required? I looked at a couple sites, and there are various bore/stroke sizes.

al

The magura is the same as the PVM, only the PVM ( made by magura) has 3 positions where the pivot where the brake rotates around can be put in. So you can change the ratio, without buying another handle.

The disicati is not sold in many places, and so pretty unknown.

Guest 1100sport

Paul, I now understand why the Magura and PVM look so similar...

By the way, if you are interested, there is right now a huge discount on the Magura/PVM unit. The retail price is 390 dollars, but it is now offered at 290 dollars.

See at motostrano :

http://www.motostrano-store.com/marapu.html

I just bought them a pair of Sato Racing clip-on handle bars and they have been nice and efficient.

Al, I see no logical reason why your current master cylinder would not work (it should be a 15 or 16 on the latest Le Mans ??) although I have not done it myself so I dont know for sure. It should have enough power to satisfy the radial calipers : as the radial calipers flex less, they require less power for the same braking force than regular calipers. However, the difference made by radial calipers alone should be far less noticeable than puting radial 19mm master cylinder.

Mathieu

well matieu that's cheap, but I did buy the brembo radial 2 month ago. I stay with that.

Al, apart from the radial calipers, you also need other brake disks. The calipers are made for narrow track disks. Look at my disks.

The floaters from the v11 disks are to much to the outside, at least they are for the P4 calipers I have now. And the radials are the follow up on these, use the same pads. I didn't expect it too, when you have a narrow track caliper, you expect tht it just doestn't use the inside anymore.

I don't know what his reserv is, I bid 950$, that is not enough to go above reserve.

newprice

calipers 225 $ each, fork bottoms 1100$

The floaters from the v11 disks are to much to the outside, at least they are for the P4 calipers I have now. And the radials are the follow up on these, use the same pads. I didn't expect it too, when you have a narrow track caliper, you expect tht it just doestn't use the inside anymore.

I don't know what his reserv is, I bid 950$, that is not enough to go above reserve.

newprice

calipers 225 $ each, fork bottoms 1100$

Ha, and I thought "the battle had been joined" betwixt you and I on the "fields of eBay" :lol:

Well well... $950 and still below reserve eh? :o I guess that answers my question, I won't bother. What with $1000+ for the kit(which BTW is $1025 brand new with no calipers), then $300 for installation, $300 for new disks, and maybe even $250 for a new master cylinder.... uhhh yeah, we're getting into stratospheric costs, when the stock brakes are pretty good after all :huh2:

Ah well, I got my hopes up.... but alas, that's just too much moola :unsure:

Maybe I'll just get the calipers you got one day, with better disks if/when they wear out :P

....or of course, there are those new top-shelf Marz forks that Todd has coming to Guzzitech, that are already setup for radials :thing:

al

• 3 weeks later...