Ohlin/Brembo Radial Brake Conversion

Mike Stewart

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this Brembo not fit on our V11?

They will if you have the fitting for then on your fork.

Radial mounting means that the bolts are pointing towards the

centre of the hub. Look at this pic:

800422.jpg

Hrmm, looks interesting. I wonder if it requires the "radial" master cylinder/lever be fitted as well(and what they cost), or if one can use the radial calipers with the "standard" master cylinder on our bikes now.... and if so, if there is a performance trade-off using the old master cylinder?

Also, I wonder what it would cost to have Lindemann(or similar) change these out?

They don't state the reserve, but if it's not too much more than the starting bid, this isn't too bad of a deal, especially since it includes the calipers.

hrmmmmm :P:

...it's also too bad that our OEM Ohlins fork feet have the brake bracket cast-in, instead of modular like these(and others). If so, it would have simply required changing the bracket.

al

Hrmm, looks interesting. I wonder if it requires the "radial" master cylinder/lever be fitted as well(and what they cost), or if one can use the radial calipers with the "standard" master cylinder on our bikes now.... and if so, if there is a performance trade-off using the old master cylinder?

No, radial master cylinders and radially mounted calipers has nothing to

do with each other except that they may sit at opposite ends of a hydralic

line.

But of course for maximum poser value you need both:

ISR radial racing master cylinder SEK 2400 = $310

21-014-OA.jpg

:P:

and you need 2 to get a match radial lever for clutch operation :luigi:

I had seen this too. The radial conversion set is new around 1100$, and fits the road and track forks, when used with the oem ohlins, 15 mm are added to the lenght of the forks.

I did mail the guy what he wanted for forks& radial conversion. I don't know how high the reserv is set.

There is a complete set, where it is mounted, on ebay also, for big money.

And another set for gsxr, only with 108mm caliper mounting, and for that no cheap brembo's. Or you have to go with tokiko calipers,not.

Guest bshpilot

They don't state the reserve, but if it's not too much more than the starting bid, this isn't too bad of a deal, especially since it includes the calipers.

i dont read that the calipers are included....just that he has 'em to sell...

Can supply new silver or gold calipers.

This brings up a subject about which I have a question. What makes the radial brakes better ?? What about their design offers better performance than other brakes???? hmmmmmmmmm :rasta:

Guest bshpilot

I understood that the IDEA is to give 'em more pad to rotor surface area/contact

but now ive found....

The term “radial” describes the way in which the calliper is fixed to the foot of the fork leg. Whereas conventional disk brake callipers are fixed by bolts perpendicular to the surface of the disk, radial callipers are fixed by bolts arranged around the radius of the disk, from the circumference towards the centre. This fixing system is the only major technical innovation.

This one innovation nevertheless makes a significant difference, because radial callipers are fixed to mountings at both ends of the fork foot, whereas conventional fixing methods leave the calliper floating at the bottom, inevitably permitting a small amount of flexing to occur every time the brakes are applied. Also, with conventional callipers, correct pad positioning depends entirely on the rigidity of the calliper itself; radial callipers on the other hand are secured rigidly. This eliminates the possibility of flexing and allows the brakes to work in a more controlled, precise manner.

Since the force applied by the brakes is offset with respect to the calliper fixing points, when the brakes are applied a moment of torque is generated which tends to rotate the calliper (in practice it is as if the calliper tends to rotate towards the inside or outside of the wheel). The improved rigidity of radial callipers effectively opposes this moment. Because system rigidity is essential for good braking, radially fixed callipers are inevitably superior to conventionally fixed callipers.

But does the rider really notice any difference? Absolutely, yes. Even if not so much in terms of total braking power (even conventional systems can deliver excellent braking power), there is a clear improvement in precision, lever response, braking control, and fatigue resistance. Thanks to the excellent rigidity of radial calliper fixing systems, the brakes respond far more precisely to lever input, meaning absolute precision control. Minimised system deformation also means that efficiency remains constant even after repeated hard braking, as occurs under track and competition conditions. As an added extra, radial callipers hold the pads in perfect alignment with the disk. This distributes wear evenly and extends pad life. The rider therefore benefits not only from improved braking performance but also from reduced brake maintenance costs.

lest anyone think i WROTE the above....i got it from APRILIA

Ever wonder how much improvement radial calipers would offer with the stock V11 rotors? Better feel of rotor warps perhaps. I'm not knocking the radials, but I don't ride in a mode where the radials would offer all that much improvement. As they said, stock brake systems are quite good as they are.