signal indicator

mikev

I noticed the other day that the signal indicator was only flashing when I set signal to right but not left.  The actual front and rear signal lights worked fine for both.  Hi and Low beam indicator works.  Later on signal indicator worked for both directions.  What causes this sort of intermittent signal indicator issue and is this a known problem & solution?

Is this a single indicator light on the dash that doesn't differentiate on LH or RH flasher? If it is and it's wired the same way as most of the other Guzzis of late 90s and early 2000s that I'm aware of (perhaps more models), then I'd check all the earths/grounds on the opposing flasher and all the connections on both indicator circuits and the wiring to the bulb itself.

It won't work with an LED unless modified and I'd imagine strange things might occur if the bulb wattage isn't standard either

It's a rather fiendish circuit where voltage is applied to the side selected and because the current is low it earths/grounds through the indicator circuits on the other side.

Example you select LH flasher voltage is applied to the bulb via the LH circuit and it earths/grounds through the RH circuit.

The upshot is that everything in both circuits and the warning lamp too,has to be good, connections, earths/grounds etc for it to work as intended

I apologise that it doesn't answer your question precisely, but it's the best I can do for now

Oh and if it has a seperate lamp for left and right ignore this post

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

its the same green flash for both - doesn't differentiate on LH or RH flasher, will check the connections.  thanks

I can confirm this true: It won't work with an LED unless modified

• Like 1

I have had success cleaning/ treating the switch connections. CRC Electronics Cleaner, then Caig DeOxit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikev said:

... signal indicator worked for both directions ...

If you have intermittent operation of the indicators, then you have bad connections or bad grounds. If both sides flash at the same time after fitting LEDs, you need to modify your dash lamp circuit. See:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/30710-signal-indicators/?do=findComment&comment=291012

• Like 3

Hey @MartyNZ

Clicking to that other thread I notice your manual has a parts blowout of the instrument panel.  Mine does not have this in section G  

Could you send me those pages?

Careful, the 2003 panel differs from the 2000 with left/right signal indicators and no "battery" light.

32 minutes ago, docc said:

Careful, the 2003 panel differs from the 2000 with left/right signal indicators and no "battery" light.

truth.

11 hours ago, mikev said:

Hey @MartyNZ

Clicking to that other thread I notice your manual has a parts blowout of the instrument panel.  Mine does not have this in section G  

Could you send me those pages?

Have you downloaded the manuals Greg Bender made available? They're about 10MB.

https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_misc_spare_parts_catalogs___exploded_parts_diagrams___parts_fiche.html

I am having the same but opposite issue.  My indicator light on the dash flashes when the signalling left, but not when I signal right.  I did replace the bulb with LED.  So I think it will be much easier to just switch it back to incandescent instead of performing the electrical surgery needed to have the LEDs work properly.

• Like 1

That's what is expected if you use an LED, as it's a diode the warning light will only illuminate in one direction only, in the other the LED blocks the current.

It's a bit of a faff to put the other diodes in place to get an LED to work.

@Kiwi_Roy did publish a diagram somewhere on here to show the mod, but you need to get into the dash and if you're not fussed then by far the easiest solution is just to go back to a bulb

• Like 2