Oil

belfastguzzi

Guest dkgross

haha robbie. I love 'audiophile' conversations :) And oil ones. My bike TOTALLY tells me how happy she is after new oil and a valve adjustment.

I think I'll stay out of the audiophile debate (having just recorded/mixed a 40 piece orchestral piece with a 90 piece marching drum kit at 24 bit/192K on a ProTools HD system...)

but..I will share this with everyone:

http://www.interstellarsuite.com/

a good buddy of mine did this back in 1986, and recently re-released it. At that time, it was groundbreaking (especially when you read the gear that was used to record it). Please, treat yourselves to this CD. It's a stunning piece of work.

I have one of the rare vinyl albums, as well as the original CD, and the newly re-mastered one. I love the new CD the most. The clarity is stunning.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian Robson

Sitting in the garden after a long ride in the summer,sipping on an Aquavit and listening to Ry Cooder I knew what I was missing...an 80's theme album consisting entirely of synthesizers :vomit:

Guest dkgross

the musician and composer in me will ignore that :)

listen to the whole album, THEN we'll talk. It ain't Duran Duran. Not that there's anything wrong with that...LOLOL

Guest Brian Robson

Maybe its the age of me causing these entrenched views, but when there is so much music both new and old worth listening to, and I remember those days wasting my hard earned money going to concerts with my mates listening to pretentious synth crap such as Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP etc, I am synthed out for eternity. ^_^^_^

The older I get, the simpler my music should sound.

actually i think it's cool :)

even as a guitar guy :)

Heh Dave , so I couldn't resist and went to look at the Nero Corsa. They're setting up a test ride. there's no way i'll be able to amount an effective resistance while my bike is still in the shop :)

Stormsedge

DON"T DUMP THE REEL TO REEL !!

I haven't :P

I still have my grand-dad's Ampex reel-to-reel from the mid 1960's :D ...it even has TUBES too ^_^

....and lots of tapes, including the soundtrack to "Hatari" and bands like "The Guess Who" ^_^

No, really, I think there is a point to taken from all this. As Guzzi enthusiasts we are all probably a little fanatical about our motors. Every bit on the splinter-fringe as a guy who builds his own audio equipment ( >)

It rather comes down to perception . I swear my Sport is just happier with an oil change. That and a valve adjustment and she positively sings. It's an analog song, sure, but beauty to my ears.

As our personal perception about our oil preferences lead us to lavish more attention and care on the machine , she runs all the better and longer , cooler and stronger. :luigi::luigi::luigi:

I *KNOW* my old Old's 98 used to run better after an oil-change... why?

Well, I often ran it COMPLETELY out of oil, it leaked and burned so much :lol: ... that the hydraulic lifters would collapse and clackity-clack. It was fun to see just how abusive we could be to that car, and it just kept running and running.

Ask me about the time my "engineered" fuel line exploded under the hood, or the time the dash caught fire while I was driving, or when we took it "mudding" where only 4x4's should go... what a great car.

I eventually drove it to the junkyard ^_^ ...with no mirror, or rear bumper anymore :grin:

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_6531.html

Wrong color below(mine was burgundy), but lose the wires, crunch in the rear end about a foot, put truck "mudder" tires on the back, and crack a window here and there.... oh and scratch some folks' phone numbers in the hood.... and that's my car :blink:

al

381777_1_full.jpg

You mean:

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide

Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride

Till I get to the bottom and I see you again

Yeah yeah yeah

Do you, don't you want me to love you

I'm coming down fast but I'm miles above you

Tell me, tell me, tell me, come on tell me the answer

You may be a Guzzi but you ain't Charlie Manson

Helter skelter, helter skelter, helter skelter yeah

Will you, won't want me to make you

I'm coming down fast but don't let me break you

Tell me, tell me, tell me the answer

You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

Look out helter skelter, helter skelter, helter skelter

Look out 'cause here she comes

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide

And I stop and I turn and I go for a ride

And I get to the bottom and I see you again

Yeah yeah yeah

Well do you, don't want me to make you

I'm coming down fast but don't let me break you

Tell me, tell me, tell me your answer

You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

Look out helter skelter, helter skelter, helter skelter

Look out helter skelter, she's coming down fast

Yes she is, yes she is coming down fast

[i got blisters on my fingers!]

Oil...yup, I use it and recommend it. :grin: I am using synthetic end to end...brand is a whole 'nuther discussion. k

nice comments on the engineering of sound, analogue vs. digital. I find it interesting the the Chairman/President of Sony Corp. said upon the release of SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc, which blows away the CD), that we (the industry) think we finally have a product that can compete with analogue (vinyl, DAT,etc.). Apparently, the manufacturers of CD's knew they had an inferior sounding product and just buffalo'd the public to where the public chants the mantra.

But in any event, I see analogue buffs as I see Guzzi enthusiasts, both are in a pursuit for the perfect experience! The Sacred, the Sublime, the..."words can't express it"....

My comment is this:

Do you remember all these guys some years ago who were clinging to vinyl records preaching that they sound better then CD's? That was also pathetic.

Yes I've got vinyl

and come now, it's rather better than pathetic.

Maybe you didn't run-in your old records properly?

They need to do about 5,000 revs withs a darning needle before you run them on a fully synthetic diamond stylus.

oh yeah and my Marshall Stack Guitar amp has VALVES in it ! :)

Do you set them to Raceco spec?

1. Did Castrol mention whether this comment was applicable to air cooled engines, liquid cooled engines or any engines?

2. I'd just go the safe route, do what it says in the owners manual. .... oil companies are given oil parameter guidelines from governments, and also to a lesser extent engine companies.

1. Yes, there was reference to the differences due to air and water cooling – I would have to look i up again to see what they said.

2. Well, if the government says our engines need it.............

(did your govt. also try it make it law that half-section dustbins should be bolted to each side of the bike, for the benefit of leg protection. I wish I could find a picture of the contraptions somewhere on the web to post here)

"I like the hiss in records"

"My guitar amp has valves in it"

My TV doesn't and I'm bloody delighted.

I bet your Hummer doesn't have points and need a decoke every 3 months.

I agree with Janusz, the bike is filled with synthetic, runs at the factory, then is hammered round their track, and it will improve the engine if you drain the oil and fill it with Wally Mart special?

Bollocks it will.

Synthetic makes you angry – it's full of E-numbers.