Oil

belfastguzzi

Go on, decoke your MZ. Set up your isolation cones for your turntable.

Digital vs. analog audio is as inflammatory as oil- you're right. I have both, running a homebrew amp setup and it just really depends on the quality of the source as to which I prefer. I actually enjoy the ambient background of vinyl, and the more lush sound that is associated with some recordings. Some of that is lost in CD's, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure there are digital amps that are also great, but nothing beats the satisfaction of listening to something you made that sounds good too.

J

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience I have found good results matching transistor amps with turntables and tube amps with cd's. The crystal clear reproduction produced from a transistor amp works very well with vinyl, and the warm fuzzyness of a tube amp does a fine job of smoothing the harshness that you can get with CD's.

Gthyni, you have misread my post, the two AD conversions you cannot get away from are the 1) when it is recorded, and 2) when it is played. You will always have these 2 AD conversions with CD's.

I have also had good results with dino oil in modern engines and synthetic in old engines.

There are always exceptions, and what sounds good to one ear (music or RPM's) sounds like shite to another...

cheers,

Rj

Gthyni, you have misread my post, the two AD conversions you cannot get away from are the 1) when it is recorded, and 2) when it is played. You will always have these 2 AD conversions with CD's.

OK.

but that is a DA converter which doesn't have the problems

that AD-conversion have to deal with (adapt an absolute

value to a fixed scale)

The reason we can experience analog media and tube amp

as more pleasant is actually due to their shortcomings,

they smooth out distortion, with digital if you record

distortion (overdrive) it comes out as distortion.

Tube does something similar, they produce more distortion

that trannies, but it comes gradually as irregularities whereas

trannies just cut off at a certain level.

In the old days you could record saxophones by stuffing

a microphone down the horn and it sounded OK,

with digital this sounded like the inside of the horn :blink:

which wasn't what we want.

.... keep in mind as well that the CD format has a hard frequency cutoff at 20Khz by design, which while being the theoretical upper limit of human hearing, studies have actually shown that humans can perceive higher frequencies as spatial locators.... or in "audiophile speak".... "soundstaging".

And although vinyl recording does have some mechanical and electronic transformations(such as RIAA) that one could argue could be a barrier to a true reproduction, it is a simpler and more true representation of the original presentation.

Of course, by definition analog is also more susceptible to environmental interference though, so unless one has a decent kit and recordings that are in good condition, it can sound disappointing especially in contrast with a CD.

One observation I have had though is that one can spend quite a bit less to get what is considered a good and clean sound on a CD based system, but when one invests a bit more in a vinyl system, it can sound even better.... but at some point one realizes diminishing returns of course.

Another observation I and others have made is that much of the general public perceives "clean" and "sharp" sound as the hallmark of accurate reproduction, and hi fidelity, and electronics stores capitalize upon this.... even if this doesn't really represent what the original performance really sounds like live. This is just like the TV shops turning the blue and brightness way up to make certain sets(usually the most pricey) stand out, but once home one realizes the picture doesn't look natural at all.

I have a Michell Gyro SE, Clearaudio Aurum Beta S cartridge, with Accurus phono stage.... and am very satisfied and receive two new 45RPM "Best of Jazz" series special pressings a month. But then again, I have a couple thousand CDs as well so... :huh2:

But like all things, it's a matter of taste ;)

:P

al

while I admire the collective Guzzi knowledge on this forum, clearly y'all don't know jack about music reproduction...

This is my turntable. Nothing will reproduce your Iron Butterfly, Moby Grape, or mid 70's Ted Nugent recordings better than this little device. Ya, you can go spend thousands more on finicky glass platter turntables, but will it sound just as good when your roommate throws up on it right in the middle of John Bonham's solo in Moby @#$$#! ? I think not.. I mean, you tape a couple of pennies to the end of this tone arm and it can cut through chunks... Know what I mean?

So let's return this thread to oil.. and Guzzi's... for the better good of all.

well, having listened to atom heart mother in both formats, i liked the lp(even if it was over 20 years old) better than the cd. it sounded more...i dunno...you guys keep saying fuller...that's close but not quite it. "warmer" maybe.

and as for the oil. it comes in what now? slick and super slick? when should we actually start worrying about "maximum protection" for our motors?

Antonio...I saw Crosby, Stills, Nash AND Young in...oh, never mind...I can't believe I read the whole thing. So, do I dump the reel to reel at the first available e-bay/garage sale opportunity? :blink: k

Stormsedge

DON"T DUMP THE REEL TO REEL !!

If you record Golden Earring's "Radar Love", and play it backwards slowly you'll hear a voice repeating "There's room in the garage for one more Guzzi, There's room in the garage for one more Guzzi..."

Trust me, it works... and I think its the voice of Jessica Hahn.... or Diane Sawyer.. I always get them confused...

Cheers, Tim

Now can we go back to oil????

No, really, I think there is a point to taken from all this. As Guzzi enthusiasts we are all probably a little fanatical about our motors. Every bit on the splinter-fringe as a guy who builds his own audio equipment ( >)

It rather comes down to perception . I swear my Sport is just happier with an oil change. That and a valve adjustment and she positively sings. It's an analog song, sure, but beauty to my ears.

As our personal perception about our oil preferences lead us to lavish more attention and care on the machine , she runs all the better and longer , cooler and stronger. :luigi::luigi::luigi:

hahah what did i start ? .. and Dave Gross still hasnae had his 5 cents :)

actually i'm pretty sure that my hummer probably does have valves in it somewhere :) from the noise i get from the power steering pump I bet it does in fact !

**laughs**

as far as oil goes, i believe its optional...a few weeks back i was at Evergreen speedway in Monroe and they had a "go till you blow" copmpetion where they drained all the fluids from a ford , chevvy and dodge and then started them up with bricks on the gas pedals to see which one would blow up last.

The Dodge wouldn't start at all, the chevvy lasted 15 minutes and the Ford wouldn't die at all, so they switched the engine off :)

i wonder how much weight i'd shave off the bike if i just ran with no fluids whatsoever ?