Whine

big unit

I bought my bike used so I do not have a factory reference point. I would like to know if it is normal to hear a slight whine in 6th gear. It is a bit like when you put your car in reverse and you can hear that whine (manual gearbox only). People use to say the reverse whine is there because the gear is hardly used and it hasn't worn in.

I bought the the bike with low mileage so maybe with time 6th gear will wear in.

If I can I will try to take another V11 for a ride to compare.

My main reason for concern is due to the gearbox allowing water to enter into it, either by the breather or some other reason and I don't know if the previous owner had this occur and if he did, did he changed the oil straight away or chose to ignore it.

Cheers.

Mine didn't make any noise like you describe & I ran it about a week with water in it :o Is yours one of the ones that were on the recall list?, mine was & it still didn't make noise. Time to start the oil thread again....I used synthectic in the trans after the first change. Sump'n ain't right :huh2:

The V11's have a straight cut box so it will tend to whine but your point about water ingress is valid. As Tex says find out if your bike is subject to the recall although whining isn't one of the usual symptoms of the box going tits-up as it's a dog problem rather than a pinion tooth problem.

Wish I could be of more help but since i'm persona non grata with the importer i can't get any info out of them, (Even if they had any??? :doh: ).

Pete

i've got an 2002 teni and mine whines in top,sounds a bit like a generator,my brothers got an2003 lemans and his is quiet also my clutch rattles like mad when in neutral but again his is nice and quite

saying that his has got peeling paint,has had a seized rear brake,has had his gearbox spring fail twice has leaked oil from the gear box but apart from that its ok :D

mine on the other hand has been ok up to now fingers crossed,along with my toes etc hope i havent tempted fate now :homer:

Mine whines at about 5k rpm in 6th, pretty loudly. I actually slowed down last time to try and see if a bearing was seizing or not. No problems though, figured it was just because of the heavy load on the straight cuts. It is nice to hear that others have a similiar experience. :D

Guest ratchethack

Straight cut gearbox + Red Line Shockproof Synthetic Heavy Duty = less whine + smoother gear changes. :thumbsup:

Add me to the list. Mine whines in 6th, but I don't worry about it. :D

I get a slight whine in 6th around 60-65 mph, but I'm not there very often, so I mark it off to some resonance going on. I don't think it's worth fretting over. At higher speeds, all's quiet. (Man I need to get that Ti exh. can kit! :D )

• 5 years later...

Mine ... Quiet 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th. Slight whine in 3rd and 6th is loud which being new to Guzzi's was to say the least a bit worrying to start with. Now I just thinks it must be one of the many quirky things I'll have to get used too. Might try the Redline oil though. What about adding Molyslip does that have any effect?

Mine ... Quiet 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th. Slight whine in 3rd and 6th is loud which being new to Guzzi's was to say the least a bit worrying to start with. Now I just thinks it must be one of the many quirky things I'll have to get used too. Might try the Redline oil though. What about adding Molyslip does that have any effect?

The 6th gear in my RM was louder than the open Mistrals! Adding some Moly didn't have any effect, the whail was still louder than the exhaust. I bought a used box from eBay and have now what I assume to be normal straight cut whine. You can hear it but it doesn't bother, on the contrary!

Hmm nothing like reviving an old thread

No need to add Molyslip if your using Redline Shock Proof HD

Yeah, and really creepy. One dead now, one virtually dead. Strange thing.

Hubert

Banning, another word for virtual murder. hmmm