GREASE

big unit

Buggered if I know? Perhaps they want to sell more driveshafts???? :angry: .

The only reason I can think of offhand is that moly can build up in the races of bearings and cause problems with the rollers skidding rather than rolling but thats just word of mouth, not anything I've seen in a book!

Pete

That is a question that I have wanted to ask as well.

On a related issue, I did ask before about what exactly the additive is that is meant to be put in the final drive box. Just moly? One of the proprietary gearbox additives - what's in them? Perhaps Pete knows?

The additive for the bevelbox is moly. Guzzi makes a nice product with the moly already mixed in ( shake well!)

There are a number of other specifications in the manual for the grease. The Belray Waterproof I use may be a little too 'loose' at temperature and tend to sling more, especially off the rear splines to the hub.

Maybe a 'stiffer' grease would be better?

Guest Gary Cheek

The Moly is a solid and as PR suggested is mot suitable for use with needle bearings since it acts like wheel chocks and turns the needle "rollers" into "skidders" .

A good ,water resistant grease works best .

Regarding the advice against moly in the driveshaft joints > I think the problem is that moly tends to seep out of the seals more readily. This would make it more prone to coat the wheel as well as leave the joint dry.