power commander or titanium pipes w/computer

fernando

on my 2002 lemans teni i have been told that a new set of titanium pipes with the new computer that comes with it is superiorr to having a power commander with a remapping of the fuel system.

what do you guys think.

the pipes et.all is $1100.

the power comm.with reprog. is about 700.

how about doing both ????????

and what do i gain with each option versus stock and vis a vis each other ???

anyone tried this yet.?????????

and,has anyone tried the new bar raisers fron the outfit in texas ?????

is it any good ?

thank youi

fernando

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian Robson

The PC from Todd at Guzzi tech is ~$350.00 complete with a map for your bike which will make it run better.. Even if you then get the Ti pipes there may be other modifications that require remapping, plus the PC allows you to choose from other pipes which are often cheaper than the MG Ti option...although they are beautifully made pipes and sound great...right Dave?

Actually this would be a great topic for someone like Todd to chime in on because I also heard a similar story :)

Here's what I heard, then i'll explain my scepticism :)

So basically I was told that the ECU that comes with the Guzzi "Race kit" actually has more ROM and has a faster processor. The theory being that just by itself it does a better job of addressing and transmitting data. Now this information was proferred to me because I already have a PC3 and the the theory was that the new ECU coupled with my PC3 would really show a marked improvement in throttle response. Not having put the two ECU's on the bench and played with em myself (for some reason i don't think dave gross would be too stoked if i nicked his for a wee while :) ), I must admit that my sneaking suspicion (knowing Guzzi) is that it's the same ECU just with a custom map for the TI pipes that they provide. Of course the instant you mess with yer air box, or the crossover would make this map out of whack anyways.

so i guess the real question here is has anyone take nthe time to look at the two ECU's to see if they are in fact the same unit with different maps OR is the newer ECU simpler a "faster, "better" brain that provides quickly sampling time and processing ?

Guest GGuzzi

I believe that the pipes ought to be done in conjuction with either MG's modified computer or The pc111 and airbox convertion + remapping ( dyno). By the way even with The tit pipes most mechanics will in someway or other modify the airbox with either holes on top of cover and or opening up air intakes which are design flawed anyway due to the fact that they sit directly on top of the heads and intake nothing but hot air ( go figure). AT least that is the situation with the V11 leman/ corso.

In answer to your question about feeling the difference. I found a considerable difference in power, torgue, throttle response and sound. It was worth every penny..Good luck whatever you decide.

P.S. You might want to let availability also dictate whether or not you go with the MG titaniums. I for one could not get them delivered till sometime in late December and that wasn't a gaurantee.

I think you'll find the following thread on the topic very helpful, and specifically Todd Eagan's(RacerX) comments in regard to the application of the PCIII with the Ti pipes.

MG Titanium Pipes/ECU with PCIII Thread

And AFAIK, the Ti "race" ECU is identical to the "regular" ECU with exception of a new software map. The air/fuel mix is definitely different, and some have suggested that timing is changed as well.... although that has not been confirmed here. They both are Marelli 15M units. If it had a different processor, etc... it would be a different model, and I do not believe that it is, although admittedly I have not had one side-by-side, nor disassembled.

The only hardware device that I am aware of that has "doubled it data points" over a recent past version is the PCIII when the new PCIIIusb was released. The old PCIII used 500rpm increments, where the new unit uses 250rpm data points.

al

Thanks for the link Al, think that covers most of it.

But to reiterate for robbiekb...

Actually this would be a great topic for someone like Todd to chime in on because I also heard a similar story

Here's what I heard, then i'll explain my scepticism...

So basically I was told that the ECU that comes with the Guzzi "Race kit" actually has more ROM and has a faster processor.

Very untrue. The Ti-kit ECU is the identical 1.5M as comes with the stock bike.

so i guess the real question here is has anyone take nthe time to look at the two ECU's to see if they are in fact the same unit with different maps OR is the newer ECU simpler a "faster, "better" brain that provides quickly sampling time and processing ?

No as above, with a "different" map... which is worse for the US bike.

The new PCIIIusb uses (much faster) 32 bit processing, and utilizes 250rpm map points. Again, all of this is most important when you enjoy the benefits of a custom mapping session utilizing Tuning Link.

The PCIII map for the Ti-kitted ECU shows drastic fuel corrections for the otherwise stock machine, and more drastic for mods like a Stucchi and open airbox lid.

Todd@GuzziTech.com

Guest dkgross

:stupid:

yeah..what they said :)

My bike ran GREAT with just the Guzzi pipes/ECU/Stucci Xover.

Put the PCIII on, and MORE power showed up. Put the FBF AirBox in, and it still ran great for a few days..then developed some wierd intermittent fuel/electrical/SOMETHING crap that they're still trying to figure out.

can't wait to get it all running and get a dyno run done.

Wierd + intermittent + Electrical + Something + Crap = (a little drum roll here).......................Electrical.

My money is on your having a problem similar to Al's. A relay to socket intermittent connection.

Another possibility, exposed on the wildguzzi forum, is loose connections at the battery.

Guest dkgross
Or a computer component was overloaded and died. The guys at MI are supposed to be competent, so they should be able to figure it out. Hang in there Dave.

yup...I have complete faith in Micha and Jason at Moto I, and they actually let me forward posts from this board to them without complaining :)

we just don't get a lot of great riding weather up here, and not having a bike when it's nice is just depressing.

I need a triple shot of caffine.

:)

How come you lot can still get those MG Ti kits?

Has there been a big stockpile of them in the USA that is still being accessed???

How come you lot can still get those MG Ti kits?

Has there been a big stockpile of them in the USA that is still being accessed???

To the contrary Belfast, my dealer has a Ti kit on order for me, it's been a month now and no cans yet. Others have said they are back ordered until December. With our Italian friends on holiday until the end of the month, my head aches! :(

At the beginning of the year, one of UK's biggest MG suppliers told me that the Ti kit is just not available (and it won't be).