Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

TBH I don't think the US government would be interested in my problem.

I have taken it into my own hands and resolved it so it is no longer an issue for me.

Nige, not all of us live on the isle of man, and since this is the first usa failure there is an opportunity.

Nige, not all of us live on the isle of man, and since this is the first usa failure there is an opportunity.

No, obviously I know that, I came to terms I was on my own with it and sorted it myself, that was all I was meaning. :)

I wasn't aware there hadn't been a US failure before.

Nige. B)

Guest drknow

Ok, it was confirmed that my flywheel came apart, so now I need to figure out how to get Moto Guzzi to reimburse me for the new parts and labor. I'm just going to buy the new RAM clutch kit, and pay them to fit it, but I think there ought to be some reimbursement.

I understand there's at least one other U.S. failure, can anyone confirm this?

dk

Ok, it was confirmed that my flywheel came apart, so now I need to figure out how to get Moto Guzzi to reimburse me for the new parts and labor. I'm just going to buy the new RAM clutch kit, and pay them to fit it, but I think there ought to be some reimbursement.

I understand there's at least one other U.S. failure, can anyone confirm this?

dk

Doc:

I'll get you the SoCal address for the Guzzi/Aprilia warranty guy you need to talk to. His name is Josh. March in there with that flywheel and pics of those that busted at speed and shake him up a bit.

If you haven't yet bought that clutch, there's a local guy here selling one that has about three dragstrip launches on it.

Guest drknow

Doc:

I'll get you the SoCal address for the Guzzi/Aprilia warranty guy you need to talk to. His name is Josh. March in there with that flywheel and pics of those that busted at speed and shake him up a bit.

If you haven't yet bought that clutch, there's a local guy here selling one that has about three dragstrip launches on it.

Hey could I get that info for Josh. GP Motorcycles said that the Service rep has already rejected this as being outside of warranty. I'm kinda pissed. The flywheel took out the transmission housing and the input shaft, so it's going to be a big repair bill.

J-M

Hey could I get that info for Josh. GP Motorcycles said that the Service rep has already rejected this as being outside of warranty. I'm kinda pissed. The flywheel took out the transmission housing and the input shaft, so it's going to be a big repair bill.

J-M

MG know the flywheels break cos they are weak from new. But breaks now are outside warranty period, being fixed at owners expense. MG are keeping their heads down & don't wanna know. IMV there's no question parts fitted as new were "unfit for purpose".

I have collected a few of the pix posted here over the years of damage to flywheels & cases. If your gonna chase MG & if any use to you I can pm/email them you or post in this thread. I just haven't had the time or energy to chase MG on this & like you & others have sourced a RAM clutch to fit myself. Supplier (close to the factory) tells me MG sourced some Scura clutch parts from RAM but not all: the flywheel is not a RAM part.

Let me know if you want the pix.

KB :sun:

J-M

Doc:

PM me. Please be civil with him at first. He is a good guy but has to work within the constraints of his job. Be courteous but firm and persistant, and I believe you will get a fair hearing and full or partial reimbursement for costs. Do not discuss others or class action, outside of showing the pix of others that have blown up. Make this about just your bike, so it looks less costly. Then, once you succeed, it opens the way for others, but all is lost if you do not succeed.

Doc:

PM me. Please be civil with him at first. He is a good guy but has to work within the constraints of his job. Be courteous but firm and persistant, and I believe you will get a fair hearing and full or partial reimbursement for costs. Do not discuss others or class action, outside of showing the pix of others that have blown up. Make this about just your bike, so it looks less costly. Then, once you succeed, it opens the way for others, but all is lost if you do not succeed.

For sure, I used to work on the other side of the fence, so I understand. I've sat with Miriam when she was still there and watched her get reamed for hours. It's a tough job.

I'll PM ya,

dk

:mg: Once again this failure rears its head, Guzzi should definately recall all bikes possibly affected and replace the flywheels. I sure if someone gets hurt there a strong case for huge damages with evidence already existing. I wonder if there a case to sue Guzzi for replacment of these parts anyway because of the possible danger of failure? Potentially life threatening failure here. I dont think my Rosso is fitted with suspect components so I ok. Remember brochure saying Rosso fitted with some sintered metal clutch?

:mg: Once again this failure rears its head, Guzzi should definately recall all bikes possibly affected and replace the flywheels. I sure if someone gets hurt there a strong case for huge damages with evidence already existing. I wonder if there a case to sue Guzzi for replacment of these parts anyway because of the possible danger of failure? Potentially life threatening failure here. I dont think my Rosso is fitted with suspect components so I ok. Remember brochure saying Rosso fitted with some sintered metal clutch?

I have a Rosso too Andy & I'm not at all worried about the flywheel failing. There are about 600 rosso mandellos & about 200 or so Tenni's without one single failure that I have heard of yet. Its been more than 5 years now since those bikes hit the street so I think its worry free now. I think Guzzi just couldnt afford to do the recall of all the Scura flywheels back a few years ago after all the other recalls they had to do. It does seem like they are crossing their fingers & hoping a few more years go by without anyone getting into an accident because of that flywheel. I cant help but think someone will get seriously hurt sooner or later because of this. They didnt build all that many of them & I'm sure some of them have been wrecked & are off the road. Then theres all the people that replaced the part on their own. I doubt if theres more than 500 bikes left out there by now with the time bomb still ticking in them.

I have a Rosso too Andy & I'm not at all worried about the flywheel failing. There are about 600 rosso mandellos & about 200 or so Tenni's without one single failure that I have heard of yet. Its been more than 5 years now since those bikes hit the street so I think its worry free now. I think Guzzi just couldnt afford to do the recall of all the Scura flywheels back a few years ago after all the other recalls they had to do. It does seem like they are crossing their fingers & hoping a few more years go by without anyone getting into an accident because of that flywheel. I cant help but think someone will get seriously hurt sooner or later because of this. They didnt build all that many of them & I'm sure some of them have been wrecked & are off the road. Then theres all the people that replaced the part on their own. I doubt if theres more than 500 bikes left out there by now with the time bomb still ticking in them.

Interesting you quote 600 RMs out there....i've heard rumours of this, can you substantiate as there was only to be 300 made. I found my original Rosso actually had a lime green tank repainted rosso red! hmmm does seem to lend power to theory that the 300 sold so well they threw a few more together with whatever parts to hand,inc green tanks as no more of original red production left.....and not alll came with numbered plaque. Be interested to know more...Perhaps a new thread is called for?

Interesting you quote 600 RMs out there....i've heard rumours of this, can you substantiate as there was only to be 300 made. I found my original Rosso actually had a lime green tank repainted rosso red! hmmm does seem to lend power to theory that the 300 sold so well they threw a few more together with whatever parts to hand,inc green tanks as no more of original red production left.....and not alll came with numbered plaque. Be interested to know more...Perhaps a new thread is called for?

Well Andy,

there have been rumours that the first "numbered" collectible RM's sold very well so Guzzi made 300 more "un numbered" versions. I've never heard of them having the tanks resprayed over the green though :huh: Did you buy your bike brand new from the factory? If you bought it used I'd say the p/o probably either dented or scratched the tank & replaced it with a used green one & had it painted to match. Is your bike a numbered bike? If it is there will be the number on the side panel. You can also tell from the VIN # on the frame.

hi V11 owners... hi paul, i'm warsaw in Anima Guzzista, Lorenzo in real life...

today i'm in the club :(

here the pics of the ergal flywheel mounted in my beloved V11 SCURA serial number 059

the bike has 31,500 km.

I replaced it with a lighted steel flywheel and a double plate clutch.

IMG_1212Small.jpg

IMG_1216Small.jpg

IMG_1217Small.jpg

i'm near to think almost ALL V11 Scura suffer of the same issue. Simply they don't know ( :grin: bitter :grin: laugh )

:homer:

i'm near to think almost ALL V11 Scura suffer of the same issue. Simply they don't know ( :grin: bitter :grin: laugh )

:homer:

As I, and quite a few others, have been saying for a long time....It is likely to be a 'WHEN' rather than an 'IF'

:oldgit:

Nige. :huh: