Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

As I have posted before...

I changed mine for a V10 twin plater at 6,500miles. I had it crack detected at work and it was on it's way to failure. There were cracks adjoining the mounting bolts.

I STILL say IMO this is a WHEN not an IF!

Nige. :glare:

Mind you, all you sods with the late model 10 springer or the RAM single plater, (Not the one modified by Guzzi for fitment to the Scurra!) don't really have to worry as your clutches and flywheels are about as light as you can get anyway.

Me? I like the Eldo flywheel in my SP :grin::grin::grin::bbblll:

Pete

That raises a point for me, Pete.

You wouldn't happen to know if the unit fitted to my 2002 Cali Stone Metal ( 5 speed Tonti frame ) would be an 8 or 10 spring unit do you?

I have located a lightened 8 spring clutch unit & wonder if it would be a good idea. :unsure:

TIA

Nige. B)

the one I had, was even earlier. But richard, until now all rosso mandello clutches didn't have the problem.

Yes Paul, fortunately it seems limited just to the Scura model. I cannot imagine that if there were a problem with the Tenni's or RM's it would have had to have shown up by now. Mine has 17k miles on it & the clutch is just fine.

That raises a point for me, Pete.

You wouldn't happen to know if the unit fitted to my 2002 Cali Stone Metal ( 5 speed Tonti frame ) would be an 8 or 10 spring unit do you?

I have located a lightened 8 spring clutch unit & wonder if it would be a good idea. :unsure:

well the 10 spings are there to cope with the torque/power

the 2001 stone has 8 springs according to the shop manual.

http://www.moto-guzzi.us/archiviomoto/Cali...2001%20mgit.pdf

:P hi all,

Just wanted to add my Rosso has done over 18k now and the clutch rattles like a good un but...it ant broke yet! am I on borrowed time I wonder,should I strip and check it? every time I clutch it up onto its back wheel I think....its gonna blow!!!...roll on summer...

:P hi all,

Just wanted to add my Rosso has done over 18k now and the clutch rattles like a good un but...it ant broke yet! am I on borrowed time I wonder,should I strip and check it? every time I clutch it up onto its back wheel I think....its gonna blow!!!...roll on summer...

From all indications the Rosso Mandello got the good batch of single plate clutches. :bier:

It's winter time here in the Northeast US and I have been contimplating a teardown and see for myself if my hand grenade flywheel is failing or not, and now this recient flurry in this thread. Yikes! :wacko:

OK, I sent an e-mail to MG in the hopes that something might be done for the Scura and other aflicted models out there.

I have enclosed the text of my message for you to see. Maybe, just maybe if enough polite and respectful imput is generated that MG will finally put this thing to rest! I encourage others to do the same.

Here it is.

:ninja::ninja:

"My guess is that your probably aware of this situation which is premature failure of the flywheels on Sucras.

There are several examples of this happening through out the USA and in Europe. I am a member of the V11Lemans.com forum and there is much written about this happening and the extreme safety hazzard that can happen as a result of failure at speed.

This is not a question of switches or relays failing but of damage to associated engine components resulting in MAJOR repairs.

Should the rider be able to come to a stop safely when failure occures he will be considered "lucky" to be facing a major repair bill and not major injuries.

This issue really should be addressed by Moto Guzzi as there is enough information out there to determine that the affected motorcycles were manufactured with flywheels that were either poorly designed or poorly manufactured and the burden should not be placed on the consumer.

You know how loyal your customed base is but as a owner of one of the affected vehicles and knowing that it is probably not if but when the failure occures does not instill confidence in an otherwise spectacular motorcycle that I never want to part with. Moto Guzzi should step up to the plate here and correct this problem.

I have enclosed a link to our web sight so you can see for yourself.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3520

Thank you for your attention.

Wally"

TBH I don't think the US government would be interested in my problem.

I have taken it into my own hands and resolved it so it is no longer an issue for me.

Nige. <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)">