Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

Hi dlaing,

I mean disinformation does not mean lying. I call it disinformation, when correct informations are shared, but either in a compromising context or without any further but important informations that were available and so on. Maybe this fellow killed this clutch with excessive wheelies (probably not, of course) but that's what I wanted to say. And look at the bolts again, these were 10.9 ones. The mechanic must have done something wrong IMHO

Hubert

44513[/snapback]

Thanks, I now understand your definition.

The dictionary's definition would indicates 'intent', which I am pretty sure Paul was not guilty of.

disinformation

n : misinformation that is deliberately disseminated in order to influence or confuse rivals (foreign enemies or business competitors etc.)

Most of the people on this list are very careful to keep the information accurate and enlightening.

Sometimes we post information that might lead one to assume what one should not assume.

But that is the fault of the assumer, not the information poster. And it fair of us to ask the poster for clarification and details.

I was tempted to scream, "DISINFORMATION" durring the broken Sachs shock thread...But DirtyBill seemed to put the offender in place without too much problem.

that beer looks good. :bier:

Beer - A fermented alcoholic beverage brewed from malt and flavored with hops.

Middle English ber, from Old English bor, from West Germanic, probably from Latin bibere, to drink. Often used as a distraction useful in the act of disinformation.

Guzzi content:

My V65 clutch came apart at the rivets once.

I blame it on the manufacturer of the clutch. But I guess I could have driven slower and not given my over weight friends rides.

looks like a Heffewiesen, nonfiltered. But what do I know? I've heard all american beers are wee wee

44623[/snapback]

Just the large breweries produce wee wee.

I am sure you know there are many fine American Beers.

I don't know of anything good from Minnesota, but your neighboring state, Iowa used to have a very fine unfiltered ale:dubuque_star_big_muddy_red_ale_bottle.full_small.jpgYum!

I just found 2 nice flywheel pictures in a german forum. This is a ergal flywheel, made to be used with the original 2 plate clutch. It didn't last long.:-(

44357[/snapback]

OK, as mentioned by someone else, (Paul???) this isn't a RAM or any of the other lightweight, single plate units used in the 1100's. What it is is a replica flywheel made of alluminium that has been around for yonks, if you look at the recesses for the springs there are only eight of 'em. All the 1100's I believe use the 10 spring unit so this wouldn't fit, (well it would but the pressure plate wouldn't and clamping force would be marginal.)

I don't know if it's common knowledge by I and another bloke, Rob Johnson, race a Guzzi over here in Oz, (When the bugger doesn't blow up!!!) and for three seasons we ran one of these wheels. I got it second hand from Dave, "Thrasher' Mildwater, an old mate. He had it in a Mk I LeMans he blew up chasing an M series BMW down an autobahn in Germany. When that bike got out to Oz we tarted it up and on-sold it but I snaffled the flywheel as part of the deal and it then served for several tens of thousands of KM in my short stroke hot-rod that got revved to nearly 10 grand regularly. After I got one too many invitations to empty my wallet into the NSW government's consolidated revenue and told to walk once too often I took it out of the hot-rod and it went into the racebike.

Last year, (Almost a year ago exactly!) we threw a rod at Eastern Creek and as the crank stopped, (Like it does when a half rod lodges in the side of the crankcase!) the inertial forces were great enough to shear the flywheel bolts :grin::grin::grin: We have since fitted a super-lightweight single plate clutch but the alloy wheel *will* be going in the 'B' motor I'm building. I've checked it as carefully as I can without X-raying it and it honestly seems fine!!!!

Whatever the anodising process that is used it's as tough as buggery. There has been NO damage to the teeth of the flywheel at all, and this wheel has copped a LOT of abuse.

One important thing is that it is NOT a good idea to use Schnoore washers on the wheel as it does cut through the anodising. Schnoores on top of flat washers is what I use. Also because of the added thickness of the alloy wheel the thrust cup has to be machined or the clutch pushrod is too long.

Whether this wheel was an abberation, whether it was wrongly fitted, or whether it was maybe a cheap copy from a less reliable supplier I don't know but in my experience these wheels are a happy thing. One failure shouldn't put people off completely.

Mind you, all you sods with the late model 10 springer or the RAM single plater, (Not the one modified by Guzzi for fitment to the Scurra!) don't really have to worry as your clutches and flywheels are about as light as you can get anyway.

Me? I like the Eldo flywheel in my SP :grin::grin::grin::bbblll:

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hey, think I may be able to resurrect this thread. Pretty sure my Scura clutch went bang this morning. It's got 16k miles and no issues until this morning. I started to wick it up, clutch started to slip, I grabbed the lever and nothing. Hmmm, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Danger Will Robinson." I braked and pulled off the road at maybe 2 MPH when the rear wheel locked up. I skidded about 6 inches!!

So, anything else this could be? I could find neutral with the bike stopped and no clutch, but the motor won't turn over. I'm assuming because the flywheel is preventing the motor from turning, but won't actually know until GP Motorcycles pulls it apart.

:angry:

DK

Hey, think I may be able to resurrect this thread. Pretty sure my Scura clutch went bang this morning. It's got 16k miles and no issues until this morning. I started to wick it up, clutch started to slip, I grabbed the lever and nothing. Hmmm, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Danger Will Robinson." I braked and pulled off the road at maybe 2 MPH when the rear wheel locked up. I skidded about 6 inches!!

So, anything else this could be? I could find neutral with the bike stopped and no clutch, but the motor won't turn over. I'm assuming because the flywheel is preventing the motor from turning, but won't actually know until GP Motorcycles pulls it apart.

:angry:

DK

Damn! that sucks.

But glad you pulled over.

You may have prevented an accident AND the clutch grenading through the case. Smart move pulling over quickly! :thumbsup:

Well thats no fun, but don't tell me you didn't know what could happen.

If you take the starter engine off, you can look at the clutch. But it looks if you are "lucky" , could have been worde.

Yeah, I always thought the threat of this happening was really overblown. Looks like I got a little "education."

dk

Am I just imagining this or have others failed at 16k kilometers? I remember recently member Ozzy I think had a failure at 16k. That is still an ongoing thing though & hasnt been confirmed as a definite flywheel failure yet. I'm not an elephant & dont claim to have that kind of memory but 16k miles or kilometers just sounds like I've heard that number before when talking about this problem.

Am I crazy?

Ok lol, nevermind the crazy part :rolleyes: